• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A Funny Story with a Happing Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
Back in January at work. I was working with a girl in the basement at our plant doing some quality control. It's out of the way with no bosses around and I know she is a smoker, so I decided to whip it out (my PV) and started puffing away on it. She asked me if that was one of those e-cig things. I told her it was, and we started talking about it and how long I was doing it for and the like. I gave her a quick education on it and how it worked and the like. So started saying how she wanted to quit. I told her she should try vaping. She said no and made a comment how it looked stupid. She mentioned how she would go out and get some more nicorette gum. So, I'm there, well whatever works for you. I usually don't see her as she works a different shift than I do.

Well, today on my shift change I saw her and she was vaping. So I stopped and talked her up. Apparently she has been vaping now for 19 days without a cigarette. She said it was easy (just like I told her). She said this never happened with the gum (has anyone in this world every quit using the gum, I'd sure like to hear about it). I didn't ask her if she felt stupid, as it did cross my mind. I praised her up for doing such a good job. I wonder how many people (smokers) think it looks stupid. I think the next time I hear stupid and vaping in the same breath, I think I'm going to respond, "it looks ridiculous, but boy, it works like a charm!". Anyways, another one on our side, the army keeps growing.

SoUnique

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Onatrio, Can.
A friend was over today, asked me a bit about my e-cig. Asked If I had a spare battery she could try out? Gave her a crash course in vaping, as well as everything she needs to give it a fair try.

I could tell she was a bit skeptical. She finely took a hit off it. I loved her expression of shock, as she said "it's just like having a cigarette". She light right up.

Before she left, she asked if she could take a small bottle of juice with her. She figured she'd like vaping, and needed more then a tank full to try.

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
Before she left, she asked if she could take a small bottle of juice with her. She figured she'd like vaping, and needed more then a tank full to try.

This is it, if they try it, they are surprised and want to try it again. And sounds like she's going to give it a good try at that, way to go SoUnique. The army keeps growing, and that's a good thing!

Lilkurty

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Canada
Back in January at work. I was working with a girl in the basement at our plant doing some quality control. It's out of the way with no bosses around and I know she is a smoker, so I decided to whip it out (my PV) and started puffing away on it. She asked me if that was one of those e-cig things. I told her it was, and we started talking about it and how long I was doing it for and the like. I gave her a quick education on it and how it worked and the like. So started saying how she wanted to quit. I told her she should try vaping. She said no and made a comment how it looked stupid. She mentioned how she would go out and get some more nicorette gum. So, I'm there, well whatever works for you. I usually don't see her as she works a different shift than I do.

Well, today on my shift change I saw her and she was vaping. So I stopped and talked her up. Apparently she has been vaping now for 19 days without a cigarette. She said it was easy (just like I told her). She said this never happened with the gum (has anyone in this world every quit using the gum, I'd sure like to hear about it). I didn't ask her if she felt stupid, as it did cross my mind. I praised her up for doing such a good job. I wonder how many people (smokers) think it looks stupid. I think the next time I hear stupid and vaping in the same breath, I think I'm going to respond, "it looks ridiculous, but boy, it works like a charm!". Anyways, another one on our side, the army keeps growing.

Entertaining story Esharp....funny thing, that was the exact quote Edison used...tee hee

chinamon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
ha thats awesome.
i have noticed that many smokers are a little hesitant about switching to e-cigs because they dont know if it really works. i have a few friends that are interested in switching but im still waiting for them to make their initial purchase (and then come to me for help lol).

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
I wonder how many people (smokers) think it looks stupid. I think the next time I hear stupid and vaping in the same breath, I think I'm going to respond, "it looks ridiculous, but boy, it works like a charm!". Anyways, another one on our side, the army keeps growing.
At least 100 people have seen me vaping a PV. Never has there been a negative hint or suggestion. I can however see in some high-nosed image conscious circles where perception of self by others is a paramount concern, but even these can be educated, albeit often not without awkward reactions on their part. Just do it !!! Keep the focus on the mountain.

Well done on assisting another getting aboard the vaping ship. :toast:

chinamon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Or I stand in front of the glass doors and stare at the smokers in the cold as I vape in the warmth inside ;)

reminds me of the time i was at my buddy's condo for a bbq on the shared patio/party room. i ate my steak, burgers and spiedini in front of the people working out in the gym. they were giving me dirty looks.

SoUnique

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Onatrio, Can.
I normally carry a couple of cleaned drip tips in tiny baggies so I can give people who are curious a try.
Takes practically no room in my vape case and a lot of smokers are quite surprised at the experiencing.

I have to start doing that, very good idea fourtytwo.

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
The hardest part I think is getting them past the look of an eGo vivi nova tank setup, they all have the same reaction at first (implied but not said) , but if you get them to actually try it with an open mind then they see it as not quitting but "changing brands." That's how I have got a few friends to make the switch.

The next step is to overcome the argument that if I'm still getting nicotine they are just as bad for me.

I find that those 2 are the biggest hurdles into getting people to give them an honest shot. If you can get past both of those they absorb the change and love everything about it. Some people just get stuck mentally though.

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
I normally counter those arguments as follows:

...getting them past the look of an eGo vivi nova tank setup...
The eGo twist and a Vivi are relatively small compared to the average box mod or a Provari with a RBA on top but it is massive compared to a cigarette. Try showing them an eGo mini with a carto or a stardust on top. A lot less intimidating and very inexpensive.

...if I'm still getting nicotine they are just as bad for me...
I counter by explaining that I am in control of the nicotine level and can taper off over time. That means I can quite completely with a lot less stress associated with quitting cold turkey.

I've talked with an acquaintance who's a smoker and he said he tried ecigs before but they didn't work. The problems I saw were: stores selling ecigs are so few, ecigs are very expensive here, and the ones they sell are the cheap ones with cartridges which wick poorly and batteries that don't work quite well.

He told me he bought the ones which looked like real cigarettes and the taste was awful and the battery died after a few days. I told him to visit this site so he can look at better units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread