Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have both the 510 and the 901. I love the 901, LOVE it. GREAT vapor production, good throat hit. I only go to the 510 when the battery or juice runs out in the 901.

Just the person I want to talk to. I recently picked up a 510 auto batt. Wonder if you have one? [or if not, if there is anyone else out there that have auto batts in both the 901 and 510 could chime in here.] The auto runs a bit cooler than the manual and while I've never had the flavor issue - I'm wondering if one who had both the 510 and 901 and used a 510 auto would notice such a difference - thinking that for some it's the fact that people can hold on the button longer on the 510 manual which would tend to heat up the atty more and therefore affect flavor/taste. But if the 510 auto worked the same as the 901 would the flavor then be the same for them as well?

Am I correct in assuming the 901 and 510 are either exactly the same size - length and width or very close. That the cartridges are virtually interchangeable. And that the battery size is about the same. That the only difference appears to be that the threads on the 901 are just the opposite of the 510... and do the attys look the same as well? Is the atty bridge and position, etc. different in any way from the 510?

I like the 510 auto on occasions. With the flat tip I can hold it in my mouth via canine tooth and type. :) I get good vapor production. Although I have dripped with it, unlike the manual that battery is unsealed so I drip more on the manual battery so the vapor isn't quite as big but still much better than the supermini I had. Flavor is good but while I haven't timed the batteries, the fact that I can hold the auto in my mouth more, it seems the auto is running out a bit quicker than the manual but again, that's because I can hold it in my mouth :)

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
I've really done an about-face on my ambiguity regarding the 901 vs 510. I prefer the 901. I got into making my own eLiquid with real menthol, VG, PGA, unflavored 48mg cut to around 14mg in the final mix, and that gives so much throat hit and vapor with the 901, that now the 510 seems weaker in all regards - throat hit, vapor, and flavor. I don't think it's my imagination, it's pretty pronounced.
I left my 901 charger elsewhere recently one night, and after a few hours my battery gave out and I switched over to my 510; I had just cleaned the atomizer wondering if that would improve it. I also made a eLiquid on the spot just for the 510 that was a lot of VG (for more vapor), PGA, menthol drops, adding enough 48mg unflavored PG to make the whole mix around 12mg. Even this extra strength liquid didn't seem to have much flavor or vapor, and yet the 510 was eating the liquid fast. I don't understand it, or all the conflicting experiences described in this thread, I'm just telling my own experience. I think after reading various threads that at some point I will need to buy something like a screwdriver that doesn't look like a cig but has massive hit and vapor. Seems like everyone who has one says it beats all the standard eCigs by a mile.
I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong with my 510, that I'm not getting the experience others are. But maybe it's just the particular eLiquid I'm mixing up.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong with my 510, that I'm not getting the experience others are. But maybe it's just the particular eLiquid I'm mixing up.

This is why it would really be informative if someone had a 510 auto to compare to the 901. I have the 510 and I recently got an auto batt just to see what it was like and compare it to the early mistake 4081 black super. It works a he!! of a lot easier than the 4081 - I was really surprised. And I figure that it is much like the 901 when I run the auto batt on the 510.

It appears the 510 is the same size as the 901, so I assume that batteries are the same, the carts are interchangeable, so the only question is - are the atomizers similar as well. I'm guessing that the 510 auto would act very similar if not exactly like the 901 auto and with a fair assessment we could put any fanboy proclamations to rest and that the only difference is when you compare the 901 auto against the 510 manual and also that if all else is equal, it will be as I have surmised... that any difference people taste in loss of flavor is a result of overusing the manual button.

It's pretty simple - if the battery, atomizer and cart are the same and the only difference is in a mechanical aspect - that the 901's atty is female instead of male, like the 510 - then any difference can be attributed to the user not the ecigarette.

Another thing I predicted is that when the manual battery for the 901 becomes more widely used, that there may very well be the 'loss of flavor' that is attributed to the 510, being now attributed to the 901.

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
It appears the 510 is the same size as the 901, so I assume that batteries are the same, the carts are interchangeable, so the only question is - are the atomizers similar as well. I'm guessing that the 510 auto would act very similar if not exactly like the 901 .... the only difference is when you compare the 901 auto against the 510 manual and also that if all else is equal, it will be as I have surmised... that any difference people taste in loss of flavor is a result of overusing the manual button.

It's pretty simple - if the battery, atomizer and cart are the same and the only difference is in a mechanical aspect - that the 901's atty is female instead of male, like the 510 - then any difference can be attributed to the user not the ecigarette.

Kent,

You make some good points in your email, in particular the idea of not comparing apples to oranges or manuals to autos. But you have made some surmises and drawn some conclusions which are not correct.
I own both a 510 and a 901. (Both of my models are auto and my comparison(s) are of these two auto models. It is a pretty similar comparison).

I can tell you that they are about the same size, yes, but they are the product of two different but conceptually similiar designs. The 901 is the older of the two designs, the 510 is a later design.

Pictures of examples of both models exist at the new members forum in their own sticky thread, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/17425-attention-newbies-pics-most-common-models-here.htmlbut I looked and they may not be detailed or close up enough for you to tell the difference between the 901 and 510 models easily. But there is Lots of good info in the new members forum, I have spent a good amount of time reading through those threads to get a baseline familiarity with vaping. (That's for any junior members who happen to read this, not for you, Kent, I see you have over 1,200 posts at the moment.)

I uploaded a picture of my models next to each other with the components separated. It's a little overexposed, but it's just a cell camera, sorry. Hopefully you will be able to see some of what I'm describing.
miketr-albums-various-picture2390-dse901-510.jpg

Overall the 510 is slightly shorter in length when both are fully put together with battery, atty, and cart. The diameters measured by me as identical to the best of my ability to tell. The battery of the 510 is physically longer by perhaps two or three millimeters than the 901. The atty of the 510 is shorter by a centimeter than the 901. The full length of the 510 cart is about 2 mm longer than the 901 cart, and the part that extends from the back of the atty is about 1 mm longer on the 901. In closeup, you can easily see looking at or into their ends that the battery, atty, and cartridges are all (slightly)different designs, call them different spins on the same ideas. The atty of the 510 runs hotter than the 901 - it is heating the eLiquid hotter to vaporize it. The physical appearance of the metal wicks of the two attys is really extremely similar, and I believe from reading online they are made from the same metal composite. The wicks also have very similar lengths, shapes, and distances from the cartridge.

The battery of the 901 has a slightly lower voltage than the 510 battery. The 901 battery, however, lasts longer for most people than a 510 battery. The 901 battery connector is a short male screw thread while the 510 has a short female (like a screw nut) threaded connector so they are not readily interchangeable or compatible.

510 carts can work on 901s but they are not quite as tight, just a snug fit. I have used them successfully. I wouldn't try to put a 901 cart on a 510 atty, though. The 901 cart is too big for the 510 and might get stuck, or you might damage it or the atty in trying to separate them if you did manage to put them together.

There are additional cosmetic differences to the outsides of my models. For example, my basic white DSE901 is gloss-finished and has writing on the atty and thin light lines on the battery, while the 510 is a solid matte white it looks slightly different in finish only from the one pictured on the forum thread link I provide.

Competing companies? One company/entity with two successive models? I don't know for sure, but I think the latter from some marketing pictures of successive models I have seen online.

Do you have any links to text describing a loss of flavor in the 510 itself due to switching from auto 510 to manual 510? The only references I have heard are comparisons of the 510 to the 901. It is true that most people describing 510s seem to be using manual switches, and most 901 users are using automatics. I would prefer to see a controlled double-blind test of several models, for example, but who is going to back such a study? All we will have for the foreseeable future is I guess, subjective personal experiences, without important details like manual/auto, mods, supplier, model type (generic 510, Joy510, 901, DSE901, etc.), etc. But what we can do is try to set higher standards for ourselves as individuals when self-reporting.
Perhaps a visible profile page could be added where members could list the make, model #, mods, supplier, and other information for each model they own.
They could also have a place to list their eLiquids, prefilled cart brand, or recipe of choice.
And a checklist of their preferred vaping behaviors (inhales, sucking inhales, blowing out through nose or mouth, holding eCig in what way, time between inhales, etc.)
That might help to make some informed speculations about why some people love certain models. It could be the mix they are using, or their preferred methods of vaping, lends itself more to one model than the other.
Or maybe we could find no correlations, and could move on to other possibilities. It's not perfect, but there are things we could do besides endlessly speculate and insist on our current preferences.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent,

You make some good points in your email, in particular the idea of not comparing apples to oranges or manuals to autos.

Hmm. You've got me wondering if someone is using my name in email? And I have not mentioned 'apples and oranges' anywhere. Are you confusing me with someone else? The rest of your post seems to address some of the points. Assuming now you likely just meant my post not email...

But you have made some surmises and drawn some conclusions which are not correct. I own both a 510 and a 901. (Both of my models are auto and my comparison(s) are of these two auto models. It is a pretty similar comparison).

Good. You're the person I was waiting to reply ;-)

I uploaded a picture of my models next to each other with the components separated. It's a little overexposed, but it's just a cell camera, sorry. Hopefully you will be able to see some of what I'm describing.

miketr-albums-various-picture2390-dse901-510.jpg

Overall the 510 is slightly shorter in length when both are fully put together with battery, atty, and cart. The diameters measured by me as identical to the best of my ability to tell. The battery of the 510 is physically longer by perhaps two or three millimeters than the 901. The atty of the 510 is shorter by a centimeter than the 901. The full length of the 510 cart is about 2 mm longer than the 901 cart, and the part that extends from the back of the atty is about 1 mm longer on the 901. In closeup, you can easily see looking at or into their ends that the battery, atty, and cartridges are all (slightly)different designs, call them different spins on the same ideas.

Sounds about how I imagined it. If you don't count the threads the battery casings look the same size and the atty is where most of the difference in size lies, so I'm wondering what makes up the difference in the atty size if as you say the atty bridge looks very similar. Probably just small insides due to progress.

The atty of the 510 runs hotter than the 901 - it is heating the eLiquid hotter to vaporize it.

Well, the juice vaporizes at the same temp point whether done in a 510 or 901 (or over any heating element for that matter) - that's a matter of boiling point of the juice. If the 510 runs hotter, as you say, it may get hotter faster and vaporize faster - I know it's almost instantaneous with mine, so that one can come off the button earlier than one would suspect. And if the atty is getting hotter than the 901, it would be a matter of going past the point of vaporization that would make the 510 'run hotter' on the manual. But perhaps the cutoff point on the 510 auto is set at a greater temperature. Now that doesn't seem to be the case - iow, the atty area doesn't get over heated like one can do by holding down the button with the manual. But as far as comparison of the 510 auto with the 901 auto, that may be a factor.

The physical appearance of the metal wicks of the two attys is really extremely similar, and I believe from reading online they are made from the same metal composite. The wicks also have very similar lengths, shapes, and distances from the cartridge.

Sounds right. Thanks for verifying that.

The battery of the 901 has a slightly lower voltage than the 510 battery.

I probably could have found that somewhere. Thanks. ;-)

The 901 battery, however, lasts longer for most people than a 510 battery.

That's what many people report but this point has been discussed in the extended discussions of autos - where they have a cutoff on the batt from heat of the atty And then a 'time out' where it doesn't or can't be, started again. This factor alone, during the life of one charge, could make up the difference in 'life or a charge' where, while the 901 may 'last longer' - it might not have an advantage in actual vaping time. IOW, if one would self-impose the three or four second delay after you let go of the button on a 510, one might very well extend the life or one charge of the 510.

510 carts can work on 901s but they are not quite as tight, just a snug fit. I have used them successfully. I wouldn't try to put a 901 cart on a 510 atty, though. The 901 cart is too big for the 510 and might get stuck, or you might damage it or the atty in trying to separate them if you did manage to put them together.

I find them interchangeable and yeah, the 901 is a bit bigger but after some use and the varying toleraces of both parts some fit rather well - better than some 510 carts and there's at least one person that finds the 510 carts fit his 901 better! But yep the 901 is a bit bigger. It depends on which type of 901 cart you have as well. People found this out when trying to use them on innovapors 'new attys' that were bigger than the regular 510's. Certain 901's fit and others didn't.

There are additional cosmetic differences to the outsides of my models. For example, my basic white DSE901 is gloss-finished and has writing on the atty and thin light lines on the battery, while the 510 is a solid matte white it looks slightly different in finish only from the one pictured on the forum thread link I provide.

Cool.

Competing companies? One company/entity with two successive models? I don't know for sure, but I think the latter from some marketing pictures of successive models I have seen online.

Good question and good likely answer.

Do you have any links to text describing a loss of flavor in the 510 itself due to switching from auto 510 to manual 510?

Actually my 'surmise' wax there might be people with auto 901's that would be reporting a loss when they switch to manual batteries. Haven't seen that yet. Although I've seen some problems with the manual batt and passthrough. Myself, I notice no difference between the auto and manual on the 510 but I never complained about any loss of flavor anyway compared to my earlier auto and the Janty Stick which tends to run cooler than the 510. If I purposely run my 510 hot I can lose flavor with some juice and gain flavor with other juice. :)

The only references I have heard are comparisons of the 510 to the 901. It is true that most people describing 510s seem to be using manual switches, and most 901 users are using automatics. I would prefer to see a controlled double-blind test of several models, for example, but who is going to back such a study?

Yeah, that won't happen ;-) Unless you do it and have someone blindfold you, use the same carts/mouthpiece, etc. etc. Not expecting that - what I really wanted to know as far as the physical part of the two was whether the attys were radically different and that doesn't appear to be the case. I think I can make my own conclusions with that info there. Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time for a rather thorough report.

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Kent,

You are very welcome! And by apples and oranges I meant that I thought you were saying that people are comparing manual 510s to auto 901's; are you messing with me? ;) Your profile says you are from Ohio so you can't be unfamiliar with the "Apples and Oranges" cliche'. :D

And yes, I meant post, not email. Your thoughts and observations are enlightening. After you said that any substance vaporizes at the same temperature regardless of the atomizer temperature, I realized, of course, that's right. Just like water boils when it hits 232 degrees regardless of how hot the surface it is on is. It does make it even more mystifying to me why I'm not getting the same amount of flavor or hit from my 510 as my 901.

Later!

Mike

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Mike,

you:
You are very welcome! And by apples and oranges I meant that I thought you were saying that people are comparing manual 510s to auto 901's; are you messing with me? ;)

No, you're exactly right. What threw me was the 'email' but the apples/oranges analogy is the correct description of my problem with the comparisons.

Your profile says you are from Ohio so you can't be unfamiliar with the "Apples and Oranges" cliche'. :D

Again, I thought you were actually quoting someone there.... but corn, wheat and soybeans surround me. Not many oranges around here but a few apple trees remain. :)

And yes, I meant post, not email. Your thoughts and observations are enlightening. After you said that any substance vaporizes at the same temperature regardless of the atomizer temperature, I realized, of course, that's right. Just like water boils when it hits 232 degrees regardless of how hot the surface it is on is. It does make it even more mystifying to me why I'm not getting the same amount of flavor or hit from my 510 as my 901.

I'll hold out for the possibility that there is a difference in how fast the atty gets to the boiling point and what happens with the liquid in the process, but I still think that hanging on the button is the major factor here. Some of the people that claim lack of flavor also claim that the 510 "gets too hot"... QED.....

scyllabub

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
London, UK
Any discussion of the 901 must take into account the hugely variable quality of what we're being sold, even from the same manufacturer. I do love the 901 - when it works :( but I can't count the number of duff models I've had. Recently I bought 3 stainless steel auto batteries which were all blinking as I took them out of their Jiffy bag, and I bought a pack of 5 atties from TW, 3 of which died immediately that I dripped into them (and I've been dripping 901 atties for many months without problems). I've had other faulty 901 batteries, the 3 blinkers were just an example; and my SS 901 passthru was DOA, whilst a black one lasted about a week.

Yet I know of a gent who used his first couple of 901 starter kits exclusively for about 9 months. He bought them just over a year ago.

I bought the manual 510 (Dura-C) after reading that it had a "new, improved battery" but from my experience BE WARNED, you'll need more than 2 batteries and one charger to keep going, because a battery runs out before the one being charged is ready to take over.

scylla :rolleyes:

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
I purchased a 901 (DSE) at supercig.com / safecig or something like that but is it that same manufacture regardless?

I am no expert on the subject, but here is what I have gathered to date. The short answer is if it is a true 901 DSE, it is probably Ruyan manufactured, but that does not necessarily mean it is of a consistent/same manufacture/quality level. See below.

There are entire threads on this topic in the forum, and a lot of speculations. I have read that the manufacturing process subcontracts out to many different locations that all have different levels of quality and ways of putting together the parts, but the information was in the form of hearsay. It may be true, but how to know? I couldn't point you to a translated document from Ruyan (the manufacturer of the 901 DSE) describing this process, for example. I would be interested in more solid information myself. Subjectively, in reading the forums, the quality of the various parts (atty's, batteries) seems to be extremely inconsistent, which would lend creedence to the subcontractor theory.

There is definitely an eCig called the 4075 that is interchangeable with the 901DSE's parts but is slightly different. It comes in a matte finish and various colors. True 901 DSE's are, I believe, only gloss finished black or white with scroll "Mini Cig" text on the atomizer. I have read (again unverified) that the 4075 is sometimes sold as a 901 model. Its atomizer runs hotter and I understand that some prefer it to the 901 atomizer although it uses eJuice faster and uses up battery life more quickly. I have recently ordered a 4075 atomizer and am going to see for myself what the difference is. I will try to post my findings.

Hope this helps and happy vaping!

AngelBunny

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
McKinney, TX
I honestly can't really choose between the two ... granted I have only been vaping for a few weeks and they are the only two I have experience with. I have two 510s (copper from Vapor Station and blue from Health Cabin) and use those to stop the nic fits ... then I use my stainless 901 from ecigarettecigar to maintain the happy feeling :D

Of course ... I am looking into a screwdriver so that might completely change my opinion of those two ... but for now I think they are both great for serving a certain purpose.

I do have to say that the burn is a helluva lot harder with the 510 ... but after I get used to it I don't feel it anymore. With the 901 I don't get a burn at all ...

jboze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Orange County, CA
I do have to say that the burn is a helluva lot harder with the 510 ... but after I get used to it I don't feel it anymore. With the 901 I don't get a burn at all ...

Honest question, do you mean throat hit? I'd have to agree with you if that's the case. The 901 barely gives a throat hit, but I'd have to consider it very pleasant if not just short of the kind of kick you'd get from an .... log.

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
RN 4075's suck. They do not perform as good as the DSE901.

4075's don't leak as bad, but the draw is harder and produce less vapor.

My opinion... been there, done that.

From what I've read, 510's are better. because they don't leak as bad, and hold more liquid when you drip. They also have a slightly easier draw.

If you are used to smoking "light" cigarettes, go with an SD (3.7 volt). You'll probably be satisfied.

If you are used to "full flavor" cigarettes, get a 5 volt model. Any less, you'll probably be disappointed.

Last edited:

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
I love my 510. Has better throat hit than anything short of Camel nonfilters or skunk. I've been considering trying out a 901 for variety's sake, but if it's more about flavor than throat hit, I think I'll pass... vaping doesn't feel like smoking (hence, making a noble substitute) if it isn't slapping you in the back of the throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread