510 PCC -> KR808D-1 PCC: how-to, pics! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

0smitty

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Ft. Wayne, IN
Hey all;

I just turned my 510 that holds standard 510 batts into a KR808D-1 PCC that holds full-size KR808D-1 batteries!!! (510 Mega's are roughly the same size as a standard KR808D1 auto) It will close completely and cleanly, just as it did before when it was a 510 PCC, and looks completely stock...except that it'll juice up your 808 batts now!

I began this mod because I love the hot look of the 510 PCC, how the spring-action flap just pops up all Matrix-style, and decided I'd much rather have that than to have my rather ugly-looking KR808D-1 PCC. In the future, I'm also going to dremel it so that I'll be able to place either a 3ml or 5ml bottle of juice in there, and leave the other hole so that I can put a spare carto in it.

Granted, I won't be able to use a manual batt with this mod...but all I use are auto batts with the KR808, so who cares riiiight?!?! It's pretty slick, looks perfect, and I managed to do it with stuff I had laying around already!

That said, here's how you do it (pics attached below):

Step 1: Gut out a KR808 carto, removing the stuffing *BUT* leaving the little wire that loops over fully intact and not broken.

Step 2: With a dremel tool, although all I had at my disposal was a Saw-Z-All, cut off the upper 2/3 of the carto casing, leaving only a small portion (the end with the connector) and the little wire. Disconnect the wire from the center post, leaving the wire still connected to the remaining portion of the casing.This should leave you with about 1.5" of wire there to work with.

Step 3: Unscrew 510 PCC, disconnect wires going to charging receptacle, remove glue surrounding base of receptacle with a utility knife (doesn't have to be perfect, as the actual piece is press-fit into the hole).

Step 4: Stick a flat-head screwdriver down the battery slot, and give the head of the screwdriver a couple good whacks with a hammer. Should only take a one or two good ones to knock it out.

Step 5: Wire up your new KR808 connector - The positive (red) wire goes into the center post, and the negative wire attaches to the little wire on the side wall of the KR808 connector. What I did was simply strip a small portion of insulation off the red wire, twist it, fold it over, and inserted it into the little air-tube of the carto, and pressed it together with pliers. With the negative wire from the PCC, and the little wire on the carto connector, strip off about 1cm from each, twist them together, tape off as necessary.

Step 6 (be very careful here: the negative wire is small on the carto end, and thus not very strong. Might snap easily with enough force): Cut the end off of a carto condom, stick this sleeve around the end of the 808 adapter so that only a couple millimeters of material are sticking out past the connector's threading. Now insert your connector into the hole, making sure that the rubber sleeve portion is in completely and evenly, and (with gentle pressure) push it in about 2-3mm.

Step 7: Now it's time to make sure it'll close with the battery in place. Stick your battery in, twisting it into your connector all the way, and gently close the flap. This will push the connector to the place it needs to be. Now you can unscrew your battery and remove it for the time being.

Step 8: Stick the PCC back into the casing, Fill 'er up with epoxy/hot glue/whatever makes the most sense (I used super glue...Redneck, but it worked!), close the hood, and screw it back together! Congrats, you now own a *MUCH HOTTER* PCC for your KR808D-1! :D

Attachments

• iPhone 06.05.10 033.jpg
    iPhone 06.05.10 033.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 206
  • iPhone 06.05.10 032.jpg
    iPhone 06.05.10 032.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 183
  • iPhone 06.05.10 034.jpg
    iPhone 06.05.10 034.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

0smitty

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Ft. Wayne, IN
Oh, almost forgot...Finished product pics...

As it is now, I can fit 3 cartos in it too!!! Basically, I just remove the bottom carto caps, but leave in the little rubber plug still in the carto hole (to keep it from leaking, etc) and leave the top caps still on. I'm not sure what the mAh rating is on a standard Joye 510 PCC, but I'm pretty sure I can still get 3 good charges on my Vapor King batts now (never got any more charges than that outta my normal KR808 PCC anyways), and hold an extra carto over my old PCC! Man I'm lovin' this thing!

Next mod: gonna make it hold a little bottle o' juice *and* a spare carto! :D

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

0smitty

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Ft. Wayne, IN
Dude that's really cool!:)
Only problem is; it looks like you used a cell phone camera, and the photos are soft and blurry. Some better photos would be nice so we could actually see what you did with a little more detail ;)

It was a cell-phone camera...I'm too cheap to buy a real one, would rather invest in vaping stuffs. :)

0smitty

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Ft. Wayne, IN
0smitty,

LOL...you make a good point! I just like to see "in detail" that's all. I guess it has to do with my job, good photos are important :blush:
Here's one from my phone, wish I could get larger files on this forum

Yeah, I wish I had a nice camera just for those purposes...Problem is, I can't seem to justify spending a bunch of cash on something I'd rarely use. Garage sale season's around the corner, might try and pick one up there!

Anyways, I feel you on the phone camera thing. I used to have the nicest Windows Mobile HTC's, and while they all claimed "3MP", the pictures would all come out micro-sized. I've since upgraded to the iPhone, and I kinda like the camera on it. Sure, it's not too good at the details, but the pictures come out pretty good in comparison to some of the other handsets I've had.

I'm working on a couple other mod ideas, I think I'll borrow one of my roommate's cameras for those. I wanna get my hands on a Mega PCC now, see how the internals vary on it...and how I can apply them to other more practical uses. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread