510 Clone Atties (aka L2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I had placed an order for some 510 atties from MyFreedomSmokes.com along with some juice, and of course they arrived 3 days later like everything always does from MFS. I open the package, and open one of the atties (since I needed a new one as mine was tasting very bad), and I'm surprised to see they're clone atties (aka L2), the ones made by SLB.

So I blow the factory primer out of one with compressed air, re-prime with cappuccino 24mg fluid, throw it on the Bartleby, and fire it up. First impression was "wow even the first drag doesn't taste like primer, and the flavor is better than a standard 510 atty!" Now there is a difference in vapor production, but I don't think that's really a big deal. The atties don't get as hot, so if you want as much vapor as a standard 510 atty, you have to hold down the button a little longer. Boo freakin' hoo. The only real issue with the cooler temperature is that no matter how long you hold down the manual battery button, you're not going to get much of a throat hit out of these atties, just like a 901 (from what I've heard, I only run 510's).

The flavor of the juice really comes out with these clone atties, due to their cooler running temperature. The bridge on the atty is bigger, and the wick is underneath the bridge and not visible from above like on a standard 510 atty. There is a washer at the bottom of the atty, so you can't see the coil either, which is probably a contributing factor to the cooler vapor (in addition to higher resistance on the atties from what I've read).

These things almost never flood, but there is more flow through the hole in the middle of the atty, which leads to some fluid leaking out the back onto the threads. I wouldn't suggest it, but I tried putting 5 drops of liquid directly on the atty bridge, and the atomizer still didn't flood. I did, however, end up with a leak coming out the back which left some e-juice on the threads of the atty and on the battery. If you're using auto batteries, I definitely would not suggest using these atties (I wouldn't suggest ever using auto batteries either though), but they're nice for manual batteries, especially if you drip and want better flavor out of your 510.

Overall, I think I like the original 510 atties better, as they produce thicker, hotter vapor, which is still important to me as I'm fresh off analogs, so I need some throat hit. However, the clone atties are great for people looking for a way to get more flavor and cooler vapor out of their 510, rather than switching to a 901. I haven't had the clone atties long enough to remark on durability, but I've tried a few of them and none came doa, and they seem to be very consistent in their look (ever notice each original 510 atty looks a little different on the inside? the clones all look the same) and their performance.

So each 510 atty model has it's advantages and disadvantages, but overall it comes down to what you prefer: Tons of hot vapor and throat hit with muted flavor, or great flavor and decent, cooler vapor with no throat hit. Personally, I'm going to keep some of both on hand, so that if I want more flavor out of a certain juice I can throw it in the clone atty.

RedRamen

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Banning CA
So I had placed an order for some 510 atties from MyFreedomSmokes.com along with some juice, and of course they arrived 3 days later like everything always does from MFS. I open the package, and open one of the atties (since I needed a new one as mine was tasting very bad), and I'm surprised to see they're clone atties (aka L2), the ones made by SLB.

So I blow the factory primer out of one with compressed air, re-prime with cappuccino 24mg fluid, throw it on the Bartleby, and fire it up. First impression was "wow even the first drag doesn't taste like primer, and the flavor is better than a standard 510 atty!" Now there is a difference in vapor production, but I don't think that's really a big deal. The atties don't get as hot, so if you want as much vapor as a standard 510 atty, you have to hold down the button a little longer. Boo freakin' hoo. The only real issue with the cooler temperature is that no matter how long you hold down the manual battery button, you're not going to get much of a throat hit out of these atties, just like a 901 (from what I've heard, I only run 510's).

The flavor of the juice really comes out with these clone atties, due to their cooler running temperature. The bridge on the atty is bigger, and the wick is underneath the bridge and not visible from above like on a standard 510 atty. There is a washer at the bottom of the atty, so you can't see the coil either, which is probably a contributing factor to the cooler vapor (in addition to higher resistance on the atties from what I've read).

These things almost never flood, but there is more flow through the hole in the middle of the atty, which leads to some fluid leaking out the back onto the threads. I wouldn't suggest it, but I tried putting 5 drops of liquid directly on the atty bridge, and the atomizer still didn't flood. I did, however, end up with a leak coming out the back which left some e-juice on the threads of the atty and on the battery. If you're using auto batteries, I definitely would not suggest using these atties (I wouldn't suggest ever using auto batteries either though), but they're nice for manual batteries, especially if you drip and want better flavor out of your 510.

Overall, I think I like the original 510 atties better, as they produce thicker, hotter vapor, which is still important to me as I'm fresh off analogs, so I need some throat hit. However, the clone atties are great for people looking for a way to get more flavor and cooler vapor out of their 510, rather than switching to a 901. I haven't had the clone atties long enough to remark on durability, but I've tried a few of them and none came doa, and they seem to be very consistent in their look (ever notice each original 510 atty looks a little different on the inside? the clones all look the same) and their performance.

So each 510 atty model has it's advantages and disadvantages, but overall it comes down to what you prefer: Tons of hot vapor and throat hit with muted flavor, or great flavor and decent, cooler vapor with no throat hit. Personally, I'm going to keep some of both on hand, so that if I want more flavor out of a certain juice I can throw it in the clone atty.

Hmm, I was thinking about getting a few of these... But if it just has better flavor, yet less vapor, I'll just stick with my 901 X_X

Thanks for the review!

Fud

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Hawaii
I have the original 510 and the newer L2 on my desk and been using them both and so far can't tell the difference at all. As far as longevity time will tell.

Honestly I don't think this is a cheap knockoff but the new batterys seem to have some issues getting stuck on.

We have no choice but buying chinese attys, I'm wondering whats stopping an american company from making a superior one?

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
A note of interest....I have a few of these and since they run cooler, they are perfect on a 5/6v mod. Love them with my Xhaler

They do run cooler. I had 3 of them to try out and didn't like them at 3.7v so I tried them at 6v on my BB. Good flavor and vapor, but I popped 2 of them the first day. Only attys I've ever popped.

I think if you want a 510 atty for 5/6v you're better off getting the High Voltage attys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread