510 cartridges - when to refill - how long will they last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripleh3lix

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
West Hills
I ordered an ecig from neverlightagain.com. It's my first, and i didnt mind paying the cash because it was my first one. Apparently, it's a 510 model a sweet lady told me that I talked to in the chat. The cartos are already prefilled with regular tobacco flavor. I didn't like it, so I ended up washing it out with the hot water sink method (8-9 times), blew it out till no water came out and added the vanilla flavoring and let it sit for about 45 minutes. I had vaped for about 24 hours, and I read that I had to keep it moist so I added 2-3 drops till the color came back in the carto, and I let it sit for 5 minutes and vaped. It began to taste burnt and still kinda does just slightly, so i'm gonna take it back to get a new one. I looked inside, and the middle tube thingy is sorta burnt with a flashlight. Also I just used another one not even after 24 hours and i'm not a heavy smoker (pre filled cartomizer) and it burnt out on me after I opened up and wiped it off. I think total time i used it was a few hours tops.

Last edited:

tripleh3lix

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
West Hills
Sorry, about the burning, as long as its wet, a cart shouldn't burn, take it easy on them and refill as soon as it really loses taste...
But that's the thing the taste wasn't out at all. I only used it a few hours brand new carts, the 2nd time. Do regular "prefilled" carts burn out faster then refilling it yourself or something?

Riggs-

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
But that's the thing the taste wasn't out at all. I only used it a few hours brand new carts, the 2nd time. Do regular "prefilled" carts burn out faster then refilling it yourself or something?

I'n the experence I have had, i would say the prefilled ones do burn out faster. I always carry about 15ml of juice on me in a few different flavors as well as a few carts. I'm still trying to find that once juice that I love, and then it should be smooth sailing from there.

Happy vaping,
Riggs-

tripleh3lix

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
West Hills
I'n the experence I have had, i would say the prefilled ones do burn out faster. I always carry about 15ml of juice on me in a few different flavors as well as a few carts. I'm still trying to find that once juice that I love, and then it should be smooth sailing from there.

Happy vaping,
Riggs-
How long until you refill your cartos Riggs?

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
I started with cartridges in kit and got used to topping off regularly. Habit tends to overfill cartomizer, but I'm so paranoid about running one dry I'm not sure how long it will last.

Trying to break the habit and settle into a routine. Start the day with two filled cartomizers, rotating them instead to 'rest' each one and see how they last. Still paranoid about burning one so not sure how far I'm willing to push the issue. Like everything else in the wonderful world of PV your mileage may vary. Cartomizer might last me two days but only last you one.

Have to agree that the prefilled arent gonna last as long as the one's you fill yourself. But then again, if your trying to cram every single drop you can then you are willing to deal with the consequences. Vendor is not going to send you a slushy and hope you like the taste of e liq in your mouth. They'll put in enough to make it work like it's suppossed to and then we'll modify it to our own preferences.

Oh and once you think you've got it all figured out the next order will be new and improved or from a different manufacturer and you're back to square one. Gotta love the infinite variety of PV land.

Good luck on finding the sweet spot.

tripleh3lix

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
West Hills
I started with cartridges in kit and got used to topping off regularly. Habit tends to overfill cartomizer, but I'm so paranoid about running one dry I'm not sure how long it will last.

Trying to break the habit and settle into a routine. Start the day with two filled cartomizers, rotating them instead to 'rest' each one and see how they last. Still paranoid about burning one so not sure how far I'm willing to push the issue. Like everything else in the wonderful world of PV your mileage may vary. Cartomizer might last me two days but only last you one.

Have to agree that the prefilled arent gonna last as long as the one's you fill yourself. But then again, if your trying to cram every single drop you can then you are willing to deal with the consequences. Vendor is not going to send you a slushy and hope you like the taste of e liq in your mouth. They'll put in enough to make it work like it's suppossed to and then we'll modify it to our own preferences.

Oh and once you think you've got it all figured out the next order will be new and improved or from a different manufacturer and you're back to square one. Gotta love the infinite variety of PV land.

Good luck on finding the sweet spot.
Thanks CtryBoy. Do you recommend this? This seems like a good deal compared to what I bought lol! I'm still a beginner, it seems ideal;

Joye 510 Vaporizer

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@tripleh3lix

You say in your first post that you have a 510. This uses small cartridges you can buy pre-filled, or you can fill your own.

A 510 cart lasts the equivalent of about 2 or 3 cigarettes.

To refill it, pull out the filler using a straightened paperclip, a toothpick, or tweezers. Using a dropper bottle, drip several drops into the cart, until the level is near the top - maybe 5mm / a bit less tha a quarter-inch.

Replace the filler material, flush with the top. Wipe away any spills. You will probably get about 6 drops of liquid in, maybe more. Alternatively you can just drip the liquid on top of the filler, but normally you get less in this way, and it takes longer.

When to refill a 510 cart ?
As soon as the flavor drops away. Don't wait until the cart is dry, or tastes burnt, as by then you will have burnt the filler or even started to damage the atty.

A 510 cart doesn't last long, 3 cigarettes at the most. If you seem to be getting more out of it, you're not using your ecig correctly.

tripleh3lix

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
West Hills
@tripleh3lix

You say in your first post that you have a 510. This uses small cartridges you can buy pre-filled, or you can fill your own.

A 510 cart lasts the equivalent of about 2 or 3 cigarettes.

To refill it, pull out the filler using a straightened paperclip, a toothpick, or tweezers. Using a dropper bottle, drip several drops into the cart, until the level is near the top - maybe 5mm / a bit less tha a quarter-inch.

Replace the filler material, flush with the top. Wipe away any spills. You will probably get about 6 drops of liquid in, maybe more. Alternatively you can just drip the liquid on top of the filler, but normally you get less in this way, and it takes longer.

When to refill a 510 cart ?
As soon as the flavor drops away. Don't wait until the cart is dry, or tastes burnt, as by then you will have burnt the filler or even started to damage the atty.

A 510 cart doesn't last long, 3 cigarettes at the most. If you seem to be getting more out of it, you're not using your ecig correctly.
I said apparently it's a 510 model. I think one of the mods changed my post, cause I had "Cartomizers when to refill? I'm actually taking this thing back and ordering the Joye 510 with the two manual batteries today. I can't deal with this thing anymore, I have talked to everyone and the cartridges are still burning on me and ive been keeping them moist with a few drops every other hour of moderate vaping, and no it wasn't overfilling. I made is slushy like just like all the guides have said. People are saying its the liquid they gave me cause the taste isn't horrible, just slightly burnt but its enough to make me nauseated.

Last edited:

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
If youre getting a 510 look into getting some MEGA batteries. Just be sure to ask your vendor if they are sealed, cause as newbies we tend to flood things from time to time.

Difference is run time not anything else. I dont think the short ones last long enough 180 mAh vs 280 mAh easy to see who wins, but I'm a heavy smoker ((oops now Vaperer)) so I was determined to have as much battery as I was willing to spend on my first go. Of course now I've got a 1600 mAh batt MOD and a 5V passthru for the house and car. I wont have to worry too much about getting stranded by dead batteries.

One thing I cant emphasize enough............have some back up plan. When one of my batteries died, the other couldnt keep up, and the passthru/mod was IN THE MAIL. So the temptation to hit that analog started back up. Of course two hits off an analog and I was feeling my heart pounding in my chest and getting lightheaded. DID I really used to smoke 1.5-2 packs of these things a day?

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Thanks CtryBoy. Do you recommend this? This seems like a good deal compared to what I bought lol! I'm still a beginner, it seems ideal;

Not sure what you're asking. As a newb myself, take what I recommend with a grain of salt. I spent two weeks getting a daily headache trying to make up my mind as the pile in the ashtray kept reminding me why I had to make up my mind and buy something.

$ for $ nothing compares to refilling

Cartridges vs cartomizers is just up to personal preference and whether or not you think trying to refill while you are driving is safer than texting while driving.

Primary Recommendation --- Decide now that you will do what you have to to make it work for you. There will be starts/stops/bad equip/goofy looks/etc. REMEMBER YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR YOU

1st recommendation -- Pick something and go for it. Experience is the best teacher. Just watch out for the overhyped stuff like blue/etc.

That being said you've got to pick something that will work for you. 510 mega 280 mAh battery is great if you want the analog form factor and kits less than $50 unless you want to go wild and get every accessory in the first go. MOD's are great but you really should dip your toes in the water before you do a cannonball into the deep end.

2nd recommendation -- BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP
Prefilled dont last Backup 15-30 ml of E liquid
Batteries fail backup Pass thru or at least order one ex batt
Atomizers fail Order a couple of cartomizers with kit

Again the above is my own opinion and right or wrong has very little to do with personal vaporizers. (Except for safe handling of MOD batteries 8-o)

I'm getting way off topic here, but since it was your thread I wanted to try to answer. If you havent ordered yet and want to benefit from my trial and error search I'll be glad to share my limited experience and point you to a couple of trustworthy vendors.

tripleh3lix

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
West Hills
Not sure what you're asking. As a newb myself, take what I recommend with a grain of salt. I spent two weeks getting a daily headache trying to make up my mind as the pile in the ashtray kept reminding me why I had to make up my mind and buy something.

$ for $ nothing compares to refilling

Cartridges vs cartomizers is just up to personal preference and whether or not you think trying to refill while you are driving is safer than texting while driving.

Primary Recommendation --- Decide now that you will do what you have to to make it work for you. There will be starts/stops/bad equip/goofy looks/etc. REMEMBER YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR YOU

1st recommendation -- Pick something and go for it. Experience is the best teacher. Just watch out for the overhyped stuff like blue/etc.

That being said you've got to pick something that will work for you. 510 mega 280 mAh battery is great if you want the analog form factor and kits less than $50 unless you want to go wild and get every accessory in the first go. MOD's are great but you really should dip your toes in the water before you do a cannonball into the deep end.

2nd recommendation -- BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP
Prefilled dont last Backup 15-30 ml of E liquid
Batteries fail backup Pass thru or at least order one ex batt
Atomizers fail Order a couple of cartomizers with kit

Again the above is my own opinion and right or wrong has very little to do with personal vaporizers. (Except for safe handling of MOD batteries 8-o)

I'm getting way off topic here, but since it was your thread I wanted to try to answer. If you havent ordered yet and want to benefit from my trial and error search I'll be glad to share my limited experience and point you to a couple of trustworthy vendors.
Thanks CtryBoy! Yeah I took some advice from other users and ordered this

510 Mega Kit with no Box

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've switched over to using Fluval filler in my carts.
They seem to be able to be vaped down to the last drop or two.
I pull out filler and can put 10-11 drops in, replace fluval, add 2-3 more drops and I'm good to go for quite awhile.
The mega 510 batts are great and I keep several going at one time so I can give one a rest (allow juice to flow towards atty) while I use another.
Also have a 5-up charger which makes it seem like I don't have to charge so often and always have batts ready to go.
The type of juice you use will also vary the refill rate. The thicker kinds seem to need to be refilled more often because they don't flow as well...or maybe I just vape too fast for them to get to the atty as good as slightly thinner juices.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
cartos seem to be iffy just as all can be. I tried a 5 pack, and no go, on any...ANY! Experience is the key. You'll figure it all out eventually, just don't give up. 510 is always recommended as a go to..anytime.
Rolly mentioned 6 drops in a 510 cart..NO. They hold up to 15-20, unless big dropper then 12 ish. If you cant get 8-10 drops to top off, then batting is holding back liquid. Even factory batting works. Just remove about half and fluff it to size. Half VERTICALLY. It should have plenty off air pockets to hold liquid, and will work like a charm. White fluval works the same way. Dense batting causes issue after issue. Its trial and error to find your personal sweet spot. If I knew more about carto's, other than I had 5 suck bad, I'd let ya know.

cartos seem to be iffy just as all can be. I tried a 5 pack, and no go, on any...ANY! Experience is the key. You'll figure it all out eventually, just don't give up. 510 is always recommended as a go to..anytime.
Rolly mentioned 6 drops in a 510 cart..NO. They hold up to 15-20, unless big dropper then 12 ish. If you cant get 8-10 drops to top off, then batting is holding back liquid. Even factory batting works. Just remove about half and fluff it to size. Half VERTICALLY. It should have plenty off air pockets to hold liquid, and will work like a charm. White fluval works the same way. Dense batting causes issue after issue. Its trial and error to find your personal sweet spot. If I knew more about carto's, other than I had 5 suck bad, I'd let ya know.

Just go for it and you will settle into a grove that works for you, I carry two extra cartos with me at work just in case, usually only use 1 carto at work and on the weekends i usually use about 1 1/2. as for filling i fill mine using a syringe and i put in about .3 or .4 ml in a carto ( cant remember). :vapor:

oops: just remembered that you guys are talking about cartos, i use carts. Dont know if there would be much difference in usage, i have never used a carto. SORRY :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread