510 5v PassThrough, What type Atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
So i just got my 5v PT from madvapes.com... loving it!

The vapor production seems to be slightly greater than the the "Mega" battery that came with the 510 kit i bought. Im Direct Dripping it so far, as im thinking the extra heat wouldnt taste too good against the poly fill. Im not liking the taste of the poly fill up against the atty with the normal batt on it either but yea.... im lazy.

My question is this: I need a few spare Atty's... at madvapes inparticular im seeing 3 diff types of atties avail...

Low Resistance 510 Spare Atomizer (Bauway)

510 Spare Atomizer (Bauway)

510 Spare Atomizer

Which one is best to use with the 5v no inline batt, and which is the best to use with the standard "Mega" batts? For the time being i ordered one of the Low Resistance 510's and one of the non Bauway 510 Spare Atomizer's. Ultimately i want to order a few for my 5v PT and a few for the normal batts. But before i go ordering them, id like to get cleared up which is best for which? Help?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
So i just got my 5v PT from madvapes.com... loving it!

The vapor production seems to be slightly greater than the the "Mega" battery that came with the 510 kit i bought. Im Direct Dripping it so far, as im thinking the extra heat wouldnt taste too good against the poly fill. Im not liking the taste of the poly fill up against the atty with the normal batt on it either but yea.... im lazy.

My question is this: I need a few spare Atty's... at Madvapes inparticular im seeing 3 diff types of atties avail...

Low Resistance 510 Spare Atomizer (Bauway)

510 Spare Atomizer (Bauway)

510 Spare Atomizer

Which one is best to use with the 5v no inline batt, and which is the best to use with the standard "Mega" batts? For the time being i ordered one of the Low Resistance 510's and one of the non Bauway 510 Spare Atomizer's. Ultimately i want to order a few for my 5v PT and a few for the normal batts. But before i go ordering them, id like to get cleared up which is best for which? Help?

The second and third ones you list will be very similar. Both are a bit above 3 ohms. The LR will be probably too hot on 5V, and will likely fry quickly, melt carts, etc. Regular Joye 510 attys are around 2.5 ohms, although they vary. All my TW Titan 510 attys (rebranded Joye) are 2.5 ohms consistently. Those on 5V will give about 10 watts of coil heat, which is for some the "sweet spot". Its too much for me. I like around 6 watts. And its the wattage, not the voltage, that is key, since that is the actual power from the activated coil.

Wattage = V^2/R, where V = volts and R = resistance in ohms. With 5V you will likely enjoy 2.5 ohm attys, or higher resistance.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Wow, now THATS an answer...

I had to read that a couple times to get it, (mathematically ......ed).. the #'s were messing me up..... but the equation at the end i get.

Seeing as i dont want to fry an atty.... ill guess ill be using the LR atty's on my Mega batts and save the "standard" atty for the 5v PT.

Thanks,
Joshua

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Wow, now THATS an answer...

I had to read that a couple times to get it, (mathematically ......ed).. the #'s were messing me up..... but the equation at the end i get.

Seeing as i dont want to fry an atty.... ill guess ill be using the LR atty's on my Mega batts and save the "standard" atty for the 5v PT.

Thanks,
Joshua

Ya, I am only recently thinking about vaping in terms of wattage, but that is ultimately the correct way to predict how a batt/atty combo will work, and whether you will likely be frying attys...or not getting any vapor.

You can try the LRs with the megas. realize that by upping the wattage with an LR atty, you will be draining the batt much faster than with a higher resistance atty. In general the megas are not designed to provide the current needed for this, and you may well have to charge them more often, and in a worst case scenario actually alter the batt material inside, thus keeping them from fully recharging, or worse, having the charging current heat them up too much. So I'm not telling you not to try it, but keep an eye on things. Just because you want a stronger vape doesn't mean your equipment is capable of handling it. LRs work best, and are easiest on, higher capacity batts like the 14500 (900 mAh). The mega is 280 mAh, so about 1/4 the capacity. The batt works by chemical reaction in the material. If that reaction is happening a lot and fast it doesn't occur in an evenly distributed way, rather a lot in one place. this can alter the material to be not as good at recharging, or as I implied, recharging incorrectly which can make for fire. 8-o

I haven't heard of this with mega/LR combos, but I think this option is still quite new in people's minds. So time will tell. Good luck! :D

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
So then, what is the best batt/rig to use a 510 LR atty with? You mentioned the 14500 running at 900mah... correct me if im wrong, but i cannot recall seeing any "on the shelf" 510 setups with that batt. Is that a modded combo? Links to where i could purchase such a rig?

based on what your telling me, the LR atty that i purchased wont be best used on anything i have. Madvapes 510 Mega Kit is my 2nd setup that i purchased ("smoking everywhere" the first) and while im a pretty damn satisfied with it in comparison the SE rig... im still kinda wanting better vapor production, batt life.. etc, all the things we all want. Being as new as i am and seeing that there is an endless sea to drown my money with, any advice/direction you can provide would be awesome... Ive looked around at some of your posts and you are really good with answering questions both in logic and mechanics, so thank you for that.

Ive read/watched some good reviews of the 901 batts with the 510 atty adapted...
eGo, tornado, there are way too many products avail... ( they should take a lesson from the auto industry and narrow this stuff down..)

I like the vapor production on the 5v PT,, but im starting to think its making the juice too hot and killing the taste for me, ive been vaping RY4 like a sieve all day at work off my mega batt,, get home change the atty over the 5v PT and boom,, tasted like ..., hot ... at that.

Orion

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
Central Florida
I've had my 5v passthru for 7 hours, lol.

I haven't had a problem with taste yet, and I'm using a joye 510 atty. I know the higher volts burns through juice, so maybe your atty got a little dry and burned some juice. A simple cleaning should help, if that is actually the case. And if so, keep it wet. Normally on my ego, I drip 2-3 drops at a time depending on what juice I am using. On the 5v and the lr atty on my ego I drip 4-5 drops at a time to last the same vaping time.

But this is first day experience. If I do have any taste issues in the future though, I will be back to let you know.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
My 5v PT is pretty great... im looking to bring that vape expierence ( or slightly less (heat issue)) to hand held, cordless

basicly ive been trying to figure out what the best atty/batt combo would be using a 510 atty...

Donbadaboom hooked me up with a pretty simple equation that even i can understand:
Watts = volts (x) amps / ohms

now im trying to find the tech specs on the 510 Mega Batt and the attys that i ordered to see where they fall in line with the info Don gave me.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
My 5v PT is pretty great... im looking to bring that vape expierence ( or slightly less (heat issue)) to hand held, cordless

basicly ive been trying to figure out what the best atty/batt combo would be using a 510 atty...

Donbadaboom hooked me up with a pretty simple equation that even i can understand:
Watts = volts (x) amps / ohms

now im trying to find the tech specs on the 510 Mega Batt and the attys that i ordered to see where they fall in line with the info Don gave me.

That equation is not right. It should be Watts = Volts*Volts/ohms. He corrected himself in ATE. But wattage is really the way to go. Most like about 10 W. I like around 6 W. A lot more than 10W and you are eatin' attys. 8-o

Loco

Mar 30, 2010
Banning
That equation is not right. It should be Watts = Volts*Volts/ohms. He corrected himself in ATE. But wattage is really the way to go. Most like about 10 W. I like around 6 W. A lot more than 10W and you are eatin' attys. 8-o

So back when I fried an atty -

I pushed 12V into a PT/atty combo that 2.4 ohms of resistance.

12 * 12/2.4 = 60 Watts. No wonder I fried everything! (Just checkin' the math).

But where does amperage come into the mix? I notice that I get a great vape around 2 amps, not to mention a much-improved charging time.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
So then, what is the best batt/rig to use a 510 LR atty with? You mentioned the 14500 running at 900mah... correct me if im wrong, but i cannot recall seeing any "on the shelf" 510 setups with that batt. Is that a modded combo? Links to where i could purchase such a rig?

based on what your telling me, the LR atty that i purchased wont be best used on anything i have. Madvapes 510 Mega Kit is my 2nd setup that i purchased ("smoking everywhere" the first) and while im a pretty damn satisfied with it in comparison the SE rig... im still kinda wanting better vapor production, batt life.. etc, all the things we all want. Being as new as i am and seeing that there is an endless sea to drown my money with, any advice/direction you can provide would be awesome... Ive looked around at some of your posts and you are really good with answering questions both in logic and mechanics, so thank you for that.

Ive read/watched some good reviews of the 901 batts with the 510 atty adapted...
eGo, tornado, there are way too many products avail... ( they should take a lesson from the auto industry and narrow this stuff down..)

I like the vapor production on the 5v PT,, but im starting to think its making the juice too hot and killing the taste for me, ive been vaping RY4 like a sieve all day at work off my mega batt,, get home change the atty over the 5v PT and boom,, tasted like ..., hot ... at that.

My 14500 PV is a Bartleby:

Bartleby

Its a "box mod" with an on/off switch for pocket toting without setting it off, and it will charge/vape on USB, so is a PT too. I am running regular 2.5 ohm 510 attys on it. LRs will work too, give more power, but will drain the batt faster, and I'm not fond of more power. The 14500 gives close to 3.7V on the coil. A regular 510 batt is about 3.1V, a mega about 3.2V. For me that little bit of increased coil voltage really made the difference.

Coil voltage is not generally the full batt voltage, which with Li-ion can be about 4.2V at full charge. It is also dependent on the internal circuitry and whatever is between the batt and the atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread