Status
Not open for further replies.

Aras

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
USA Pennsylvania
thevaporchef.com
I just ordered a 401 pcc kit from absolutelyecigs (6 days ago) and a 501 mega kit from madvapes (today)... My first ecigs, what's the difference between them other than the pcc?

I was planning on selling the one I like less to my roommate but I might keep them both because of the pcc with the 401 for long trips ect.

Also I'm confused as to how to bump the voltage to 5v if the hit is inadequate. Do I just get the passthrough and plug it in? Do I need to mod it at all?

I should receive both kits this week and I plan on being prepared to make this work for me so I can quit analogues quickly. Basically I want my I win button ready to press when the mail arrives.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I just ordered a 401 pcc kit from absolutelyecigs (6 days ago) and a 501 mega kit from madvapes (today)... My first ecigs, what's the difference between them other than the pcc?

I was planning on selling the one I like less to my roommate but I might keep them both because of the pcc with the 401 for long trips ect.

Also I'm confused as to how to bump the voltage to 5v if the hit is inadequate. Do I just get the passthrough and plug it in? Do I need to mod it at all?

I should receive both kits this week and I plan on being prepared to make this work for me so I can quit analogues quickly. Basically I want my I win button ready to press when the mail arrives.

Good luck on the 100% quitting thing! But realize that many find this harder to do than they think, and it has nothing to do with their PV or voltage. But you will likely cut way down, if nothing else.

The difference between the 510 (not 501) and 401 atty is primarily the wattage, which roughly translates into the heat generated. 510 attys are probably the hottest attys on the market. This makes for great vapor and throat hit, but it can actually kill flavors a bit, and they tend to not last as long as other attys. You will likely find pros and cons with both the 510 and 401.

If there is a 401 PT that has no inline batt box, and is just a single wire from USB to controller, then it is probably 5V, and will deliver considerably more to the atty. How a 401 atty holds up to 5V is another story. 5V will kill regular 510 attys pretty quickly. However if the 401 atty is higher resistance than 2.5 ohm, it might be fine for quite a while. Higher resistance means cooler atty, and less strain on it. Another way to bump up the voltage is a battery mod that is designed to give 5V or more, but you would need a mod that is threaded for a 401 atty, or else an adapter that will convert from the mod's threads to 401 threads.

The majority of batt mods use the 510 atty threading, and so are specifically for the 510 atty. This makes sense since the 510 atty is considered to be the superior atty in general (some will argue, but I'm just going by stats). There are high-voltage 510 attys that do not get overly hot on a 5V mod, and these attys have higher resistance. DSE510 attys are closer to 3 ohms, so are generally weak on a regular 510 bat, but seem to be quite nice on higher voltage.

My guess is, based on what you say, that the 510 will be more to your liking. It is known for a stronger TH and vapor compared to most other standard PVs, like those you would get kits for. There is a reason the 510 is so popular, but you won't really know until you try them both, and having two different PVs will be very good for your general PV education! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread