28 days later

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyHooligan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2010
Welsh, LA
Its been 28 days since I started vaping, and a month since I took the trip that finally got me off the analogs. There has been some trial and error and only a couple of slips but everything has gone even better than I expected.

Started smoking almost 15 years ago and have been 1 to 2 PAD since.
I have tried to quit several times. tried Cold Turkey, the patch, the gum.
None of them worked. and I ended up chewing the gum as a mint after I had a smoke while wearing the patch.

About 3 years ago I took Chantix that worked for about 6 months, but as soon as I got the call that my then Girlfriend was pregnant I broke down.

I didn't smoke aroud her (which was only on weekends because we were about 250 miles apart) but when ever I was visiting her I was constantly looking for an excuse to go for a drive or run some arrand so that I could sneak a quick smoke. I was able to keep that up until after we were married and my son was born.

He was almost 2 months early and spent 3 weeks in the NICU. All that time in the hospital and I lost my ability to hide. when he came home he was on oxygen and had a heart monitor. I still smoked. I would put on a different shirt and go outside. have my smoke then come in change my shirt, wash my hands arms and face before I would even go into his room.

Since then I have tried to quit several more times, but that turned into changing from one habbit to another.

About a year ago I started smoking a pipe when I was at home, the wife didn't mind that as much but she still didn't like the smoke smell on me. but I could not give up analogs. I ended up smoking 1 PAD and 3 to 5 pipes of tobacco a day.

Then I deployed to Afghanistan. I couldn't keep my pipe tobacco with me because it dried out too fast and cigs are cheap from some of the foreign stores over here. and In no time I was back up to 2 PAD.

I was always the one to say that I use tobacco in any form. but the more I was smoking over here the less I enjoyed it. I still like smoking my pipe but I was hating cigarettes.

about 6 weeks ago my Supervisor came back from R&R with a "No 7" ecig. I had never really heard of them before but he let me try it. I was sold. I went to the same site he did and got the same one. (I got ripped off as much as if I had gone to the mall but I didn't know it then.) Had it shipped to my wife in the states because there was not enough time for it to get to me here before I went on leave.

Then I found ECF and got some better info, so I ordered a 510 and had that shipped home.

On Sep 14th I bought my last 2 packs of analogs, and got on a plane in afghanistan headed for home and 2 weeks R&R. I smoked those cigs through out my trip till I landed in atlanta, that is where I had the last of my anlogs.

From there I went to nashville and the wife met me with the ecig in hand. I had no desire for a "real" smoke the whole time I was home. It was awesome being able to finally say I had quit for my son's 2nd birthday. being home with my family for 2 weeks out of a year isn't long and I am so glad that I didn't waste half of it outside alone or running away from my boy because I didn't want him too close or down wind when I was smoking.

I didn't slip up till I was headed back here and my battery died right before I got on the plane so I bummed a smoke from one of my buddies that was comming back over here with me.
I had a couple beers in my system so I did not think it was that bad, I smoked and got on the plane.
charged my 510 with the usb and was able to vape half way around the world.

I decided to have another smoke durring our last stop before we got back to Afghanistan so I bummed another one, thats when I knew there was no way I was going back. It was NASTY!! I didn't even smoke the whole thing just a couple of puffs and I was done.

Thats when I knew that I was not going to have to worry about going back to analogs.
I have already upgraded to an Ego and have handed my first No7 on to a friend who wants to quit and have another buddy borrowing my 510 to see if he likes it.

I never thought that in 1 month I could come as far as I have and not look back.

I already notice so much that has changed, and I wouldn't go back for the world.

Sorry it is so long, just looked at the date, and realized how long it had been.
I was too excited not to share.

Hooligan

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey man you are doing great! Keep it up! I'm only 18 days out from my last cigarette. Quitting sucks... but, like you, I realized it was high time... Keep it up. I also just upgraded to an eGo. It helps a ton to have the right gear. I wish you good fortune, my Kentuckian neighbor. Also, thank you for your service to our country.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Smoking to vaping is a little different in the texture (meaning dry to wet). If you're feeling any anxiety, up your nic content some and then start downward. I may never give up vaping but I'll never go back to smoking.

Thank you for watching over all of us. I wish you a speedy safe return back to your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread