200$ budget on mechanical mod.... need to decide by friday !

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Wow thank you all for the battery info !!! I'll use the protected as my backups and pick up some new unprotected ones also. As for the charger it fit in my budget and I really don't care how long the batteries take to charge because they will be charging while I'm sleeping. I'll buy a better one when I can afford it but I will pick up some new unprotected batteries very soon.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Alright alright I'll keep those batteries for my girlfriends mod it is the fat tube ego in pink. And I will order myself some new ones tonight what type do you guys recommend. I'm looking for some really good ones I need 3 batteries 18650 18500/18490 18350.

I'm still not sure does an 18 500 in the kick work? Or does it have to be an 18 490 with the kick

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Will the batteries I have now protected ones be okay to use with the kick and without the kick if I use pro tanks with stock 2.2ohm and 2.5 ohm heads until I get the unprotected ones for my rba? ??

The kick may fire but probably won't work especially well. They should be fine without the kick and with the protanks.

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
I'll try to hit on your last 3 posts....

First off, you shouldn't charge batteries in a TR-001 while you sleep.
It will continue to give a trickle charge after it hits proper voltage, which could result in overcharging.
In the case of my TR-001, it stops @ 4.17V. The highest voltage I've pulled a battery off (that I tested) was 4.22V. That in and of itself isn't all that dangerous, but the fact it was still charging is.
For $20 you can get a charger that is much safer.

I am curious if you read much of the review on the Ultrafire batteries.
Most notably, that not all of the tested batteries had protection that actually functioned.
Do you think your girlfriend will be careful using them?

As to your current batteries working with a kick.
They may, but are definitely not ideal.
If the protection circuit doesn't trip before 6A, it should work, but if you feel them getting hot you should let them cool.
The hydrid Panasonic and IMR AW/Efest batteries handle a lot more current than ICR batteries like you currently have.
The kick is meant to be used with high drain (IMR/hybrid) batteries.

Lastly the only real difference between an 18490 and 18500 is 1mm in length.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
I'll try to hit on your last 3 posts....

First off, you shouldn't charge batteries in a TR-001 while you sleep.
It will continue to give a trickle charge after it hits proper voltage, which could result in overcharging.
In the case of my TR-001, it stops @ 4.17V. The highest voltage I've pulled a battery off (that I tested) was 4.22V. That in and of itself isn't all that dangerous, but the fact it was still charging is.
For $20 you can get a charger that is much safer.

I am curious if you read much of the review on the Ultrafire batteries.
Most notably, that not all of the tested batteries had protection that actually functioned.
Do you think your girlfriend will be careful using them?

As to your current batteries working with a kick.
They may, but are definitely not ideal.
If the protection circuit doesn't trip before 6W, it should work, but if you feel them getting hot you should let them cool.
The hydrid Panasonic and IMR AW/Efest batteries handle a lot more current than ICR batteries like you currently have.
The kick is meant to be used with high drain (IMR/hybrid) batteries.

Lastly the only real difference between an 18490 and 18500 is 1mm in length.

good thank you ! you have the info i was looking for that 1 mm differance should not matter so i will buy flat top 18500's unprotected and use the kick and with my rba i will use unprotected 18650's strait up

untill i order new batterys ... prob fri night and they come in ....i will just use the protected batterys with protanks (no kick) when i get the right ones i will just toss them in my vape draw for emergancy ....

now i am looking for 1 18650, 1 18500, and 1 18350 battery ... i want the best ones i can get as in the longest lasting highest mah and best power output. any recomandations on battery brand and type also mabey where to buy them ?

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
what is the differance ?

efest imr 18650 2250mah 3.jpg
18650 2250mah imr
li-mn battery

non protected efest 18650 2600mah.jpg
this is lithium ion but it said non protected ?
Li-ion 18650 2600mah 3

what do i get for a kick mech and all around use ?

ok so they have to be high drain and it doesnt matter if they are protected or not ? 10 amps or more constant draw ?? i dont get batterys lol i am a machine guy not an electrical guy .....

Last edited:

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
good thank you ! you have the info i was looking for that 1 mm differance should not matter so i will buy flat top 18500's unprotected and use the kick and with my rba i will use unprotected 18650's strait up

untill i order new batterys ... prob fri night and they come in ....i will just use the protected batterys with protanks (no kick) when i get the right ones i will just toss them in my vape draw for emergancy ....

now i am looking for 1 18650, 1 18500, and 1 18350 battery ... i want the best ones i can get as in the longest lasting highest mah and best power output. any recomandations on battery brand and type also mabey where to buy them ?
Well, you should probably put highest mah out of your mind.
Many of the batteries you see have inflated mah ratings for sales.

A Panasonic CGR18650CH (2250mah) lasts me 1.5 days. I vape about 3ml a day.
I usually just put a battery in my charger before dinner and it's charged a couple hours later.

donnah posted a link for Fasttech.com (China) earlier in this thread. (coupon code TENOFF 5% discount) That is where I got mine CHEAP!
I had a 2 week delivery time from Hong Kong to me in Tulsa.

They also carry a high drain Panasonic that is 2900 mah for a little more $$ and the i4 charger for around $20.

For shorter batteries I would recommend AW's.
Personally I have both AW and Efest 18350's and my AW's beat my Efests hands down.
Both would work though. AW's will cost a bit more, but due to short run times of an 18350 it is worth the extra dough IMO.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Well, you should probably put highest mah out of your mind.
Many of the batteries you see have inflated mah ratings for sales.

A Panasonic CGR18650CH (2250mah) lasts me 1.5 days. I vape about 3ml a day.
I usually just put a battery in my charger before dinner and it's charged a couple hours later.

donnah posted a link for Fasttech.com (China) earlier in this thread. (coupon code TENOFF 5% discount) That is where I got mine CHEAP!
I had a 2 week delivery time from Hong Kong to me in Tulsa.

They also carry a high drain Panasonic that is 2900 mah for a little more $$ and the i4 charger for around $20.

For shorter batteries I would recommend AW's.
Personally I have both AW and Efest 18350's and my AW's beat my Efests hands down.
Both would work though. AW's will cost a bit more, but due to short run times of an 18350 it is worth the extra dough IMO.

alright i will spring for this combo ...high drain Panasonic that is 2900 mah for a little more $$ and the i4 charger for around $20. and get aw's for the 18500 and 18350 or screw it get all aw's ? in your personal opinion are they realy that much better than the efest ? the money wont realy be an isue getting the best batterys is like a investment in quality. and that is what i am truely looking for a verry wel built quality battery for this mod that i can use all the time with and without the kick. the batterys i bought were not correct because i was flying blind lol i didnt do my homework......

edit reading about batterys now...................but am still wanting instant gratifacation lol

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
alright i will spring for this combo ...high drain Panasonic that is 2900 mah for a little more $$ and the i4 charger for around $20. and get aw's for the 18500 and 18350 or screw it get all aw's ? in your personal opinion are they realy that much better than the efest ? the money wont realy be an isue getting the best batterys is like a investment in quality. and that is what i am truely looking for a verry wel built quality battery for this mod that i can use all the time with and without the kick. the batterys i bought were not correct because i was flying blind lol i didnt do my homework......

edit reading about batterys now...................but am still wanting instant gratifacation lol

In my case comparing my AW's and Efests, my AW's seem to last about 10% longer and keep more charge while parked in a battery case.
The reviewer I linked to before showed them to have a lower internal resistance as well.

That said, only buy AW batteries from a reputable dealer like RTD Vapor or Super T Manufacturing. (counterfeits have been reported)

The links to Fasttech.com are not the only place for Panasonics or i4's, but their price can't be beat.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
so what i get so far is that the protected li-ion low amp draw batterys i ordered can be used safley without the kick on standard resistance attys in my mech mod as long as i am not exceeding the amp draw by too much all the time.

but for low resistance attys that have a higher amp draw, or if i am useing the kick i will need high drain aw imr unprotected batterys with a 10 amp constant drain or more

hence forth why not just use high drain imr's with the mech mods all the time .... right ?:confused:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
In my case comparing my AW's and Efests, my AW's seem to last about 10% longer and keep more charge while parked in a battery case.
The reviewer I linked to before showed them to have a lower internal resistance as well.

That said, only buy AW batteries from a reputable dealer like RTD Vapor or Super T Manufacturing. (counterfeits have been reported)

The links to Fasttech.com are not the only place for Panasonics or i4's, but their price can't be beat.

thank you for the links and info .... i know a bit more about batterys now thank you

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
so what i get so far is that the protected li-ion low amp draw batterys i ordered can be used safley without the kick on standard resistance attys in my mech mod as long as i am not exceeding the amp draw by too much all the time.

but for low resistance attys that have a higher amp draw, or if i am useing the kick i will need high drain aw imr unprotected batterys with a 10 amp constant drain or more

hence forth why not just use high drain imr's with the mech mods all the time .... right ?:confused:

That's what a lot of folks that read this forum do....
The only thing you have to watch is letting the charge level of the battery get to low.
Usually your vape will noticeably feel weak before that happens.

You can use protected batteries with LR atomizers too.
I have some AW 18650's I have used as low as 1.1 ohms.

The kick and VV devices that boost voltage do so by drawing more current.
That is why you should use high drain batteries with those devices.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
well i got my natural yesterday in the mail with the kick and the 18500 tube and the ud AGI rba now where the hell are my batterys ?lol they still have not arived yet and i am dieing to puff on this thing !!! i have 1 trustfire 18650 but it is dead and i dont have a charge lol

well going to wrap my ss mesh wick now and make a 1.2 - 1.5 ohm coil for it and stare at it wondering how its going to vape when my batterys arrive lol lol lol .......

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
W.T.F... !!! my ego passthough is broken ..... but in a good way .... it is suposed to be regulated at 3.4 volts......mine is 4.1 !!!!!just tested it with a meter and i have been using this for half the day, i dont get it . in unregulated mode it reads 3.8 but in regulated mode white light it reads 4.1 lol ohhh well works for me !

droptopjim

Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Tennessee, USA
W.T.F... !!! my ego passthough is broken ..... but in a good way .... it is suposed to be regulated at 3.4 volts......mine is 4.1 !!!!!just tested it with a meter and i have been using this for half the day, i dont get it . in unregulated mode it reads 3.8 but in regulated mode white light it reads 4.1 lol ohhh well works for me !

Break mine please or write a tutorial

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
wow there is a battery store right nexed to my girlfiends church that has 18650 unprotected panasonics !!!!! right on the shelf nexd to the torch flashlights !!!! going to get on if my batterys dont show up tomorow:p

Just make sure they are the right unprotected panasonics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread