2 Questions about endcap threads and Noalox and spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my provari mini for almost 4 months now. A couple of weeks ago, my batteries started dying faster, and then the readings got weird, like changing drastically up and down when using CB function (it said 3.9, then 2.9, then 3.5, then 2.8). I got some 99% isopropyl and noalox. I gave the batteries a good cleaning with the alcohol, as well as the internal contact pin, and also the 510 thread/pin. And then I think I made a big mistake. I also gave the tip of the endcap spring a swipe with the isopropyl. Everytime I screw the endcap back on now, it feels like it's kind of grinding on the battery a little bit. And I know its against the batteries because if I screw the cap back on with no battery it's "buttery smooth" with zero grinding.

So, my first question is - did I ruin the spring by doing this?

Second question - the endcap threads look junky, like dark and dirty. I used a little bit of noalox on them, but this does not seem to get rid of the grime or discoloration. I tried using a Qtip but it started to leave cotton shreds on the threads and I didn't think that would be good. What can i use to scrub the threads? Or should I not have to? Did I just not use enough noalox?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A little bit of Noaloxx generally goes a long way, however if the oxidation buildup is excessive it may take a couple of applications.

What I do is smear a dab of Noaloxx all around the threads, put the cap back on the Provari and twist the cap back and forth to insure the Noaloxx gets worked into the threads. Remove the cap, take a cloth or paper towel and wipe it off. Inspect the threads, and if there is still dark grime, I repeat the process. The threads should look like shiney bare metal when done.

The build up of oxidation grime can interfere with the battery circuit causing the Provari to not fire, and cause the weird battery readings you witnessed.

Concerning the spring, did you inadvertantly pull on it, making it longer than normal? I've heard of people needing to pull it out to improve battery contact, but not the opposite. I can't imagine simply applying some alcohol to the spring could be the cause of the grinding you describe. Is the spring centered in the cap, or leaning to one side? Also, is the battery seating inside the Provari correctly? I can't think of anything else.

Last edited:
No, there's no way I pulled the spring out longer. However, after some further examining, the grinding does occur without a battery in there if I twist the cap on and apply very light pressure to one side while screwing in. So I'm guessing, with a battery in there, the cap is twisting back in with pressure to one side. So maybe you're right and the battery is seated at a slight angle? (it doesn't appear to be seated at an angle when I pop it in) I'm assuming this means that I applied slightly too much pressure to the internal contact pin. I tried to be gentle.....
Well, at least my battery readings have been normal since I did all of this. I will try more noalox the way that you suggested. I really didn't use very much the first time.
Thanks for the input.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I bought some noalox at lowes today. I've never used it and one of my units is over a year old. It's been doing a lot of misfiring lately. I took an old toothbrush and brushed the threads a the bottom of the device and the threads on the extension cap. Then I applied some noalox and used the toothbrush to work it in, then I took a tissue and wiped it off. It seems to be firing better but it's too soon to tell. It does screw on smooth now without any squeaking :D

I'll use it for a while and report back to see if I can see any significant difference in the misfiring issue.

nightfell

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Massachusetts
good call on the toothbrush - I'll have to try that. i repeatedly applied the noalox, and twisted for probably an hour, but that grime just won't budge.

Noalox, toothbrush, and toothpick all tools of the trade along with alcohol, q-tips, and alcohol preps.

Eta:the biggest mistake people make with noalox is not cleaning the old stuff off first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Like nighfell said. I never read it was necessary but about once a month I clean the threads on the provari and end caps with rubbing alcohol. After they are clean I then reapply noalox to the threads on the batter and twist the end caps on and off a couple of times. Also, once a week I clean the contacts and 510 threading with just rubbing alcohol. Don't think this often is needed, but it doesn't hurt either and everything is running great now for about 6 and 1/2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread