18650s from laptop battery pack safe or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i read an article about laptop batteries being made of 18650s in series and happened to have an old laptop laying around pulled off the battery pack ripped it open and voila 8 green 18650s a little bit of referencing on the interwebz tells me they are made by Sony my question is would they be ok to use in a mod? all i have right now is egos but if i have these batts laying around that i could use i would probably be more likely to spring for a mod a bit quicker any thoughts?:unsure:

pdxtechdoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
pdxtechdoctor
Really?!?!?!?!?

I am no expert, but I am very electronically inclined and I would never think about doing such a thing.. maybe because I am so electronically inclined I know better..

I can think of so many reasons to NOT use them...

1> You say old laptop and you ripped apart the battery pack so I have to assume it is years old... I don't know if it had been used recently, but when you store lithium batteries with a low amount of charge they start to die and begin to hold little energy...

2> If they hold energy there is no guarantee how much ie how long with will last in a mod.

3> No guarantee that they will charge safely.. I don't even like to use new ICR batteries in my stuff - only IMR

4> A new 18650 is $10 and well worth the $10 to know that it is safe and that it will hold a charge.. I am VERY frugal, but I also know that there are times to save money and times that you need to spend money. LiON batteries are not something to go thrift on...

Just my $.02

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
so i read an article about laptop batteries being made of 18650s in series and happened to have an old laptop laying around pulled off the battery pack ripped it open and voila 8 green 18650s a little bit of referencing on the interwebz tells me they are made by Sony my question is would they be ok to use in a mod? all i have right now is egos but if i have these batts laying around that i could use i would probably be more likely to spring for a mod a bit quicker any thoughts?:unsure:

18650 is just a measurement of the dimensions, as you likely know.

The battery pack likely held the protection circuitry, so now you have 8 very unregulated batteries in your hands.

I would dispose of them according to your local statutes, and go with a proper AW IMR battery.

I certainly would not use them.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
expload.jpg
This comes to mind when I read your post

Reactions: spacekitty
Status
Not open for further replies.