18650 compatible batteries/chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
That's exactly how my TR-001 works..

On a rare occasion (or maybe if you watch it long enough) one will turn green before the other but I find most commonly that they both stay red until both are finished.. Mine come off @r 4.22 - 4.23

Personally I don't think the extra 2 - 3/100ths of a volt really hurt it....

Are you guys saying thats how it works with the 18650s? Every other battery I charge will turn green independently when that channel is done (on my TR-001). I think the IMR18650 turned green while one of the flat tops was in there even. I am hesitant to toss one back on since they are already pretty much at cap.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Thats wierd, I just charged my to IC 18650 2600mAh AW Batts on my TR-001 and they turned green when they where done, it would suck to have to watch all that time to see if one turns green than the other but I would think they would change individually one at a time to green once they where each done as do other Batts, you guys saying that both lights turn green once there both done?? I dont seem to agree with that one if thats the case, but im going to see next time I charge to of them

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Are you guys saying thats how it works with the 18650s? Every other battery I charge will turn green independently when that channel is done (on my TR-001). I think the IMR18650 turned green while one of the flat tops was in there even. I am hesitant to toss one back on since they are already pretty much at cap.
That's what supposed to happen if you have 2 lights one for each channel. I have one light for both channels. It will not come on until both are charged.

It both lights come on at the same time = good. It means they were depleted to the same voltage, but more importantly their internal resistance is the same.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
That's what supposed to happen if you have 2 lights one for each channel. I have one light for both channels. It will not come on until both are charged.

It both lights come on at the same time = good. It means they were depleted to the same voltage, but more importantly their internal resistance is the same.

That seems more like it

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Thats what I would expect (until I read Brocks post), but the bigger issue seems to be these things just won't turn green on my charger. I guess I might have to contact light hound or something. I was hoping there would be some tips or tricks about charging these as compared to the other batteries for some unexplained reason.

UPDATE: Odd. The one that seemed to plateau at 4.17 volts turned green finally at 4.24v and the other one stayed red at 4.22v until I got annoyed and put a dead 16340 in the other channel. When I did it turned green right away and is still at 4.22v. I will have to keep an eye on that battery. Now if only I had a way to drain it for a second charge (Hint hint).

Last edited:

Desert Willow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Bullhead City, AZ
lighthound carries the AW 3.0V cr123a LiFePo4... which have a higher max drain rating than the Tenergy LiFePo4 3.0V... you can also get them directly from the AW guy through his CPF thread (if you need the link to that let me know)

I would like that link if you still have it. Thanks!

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey

Desert Willow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Bullhead City, AZ
Just in case you didn't know, SuperT has been carrying those batts for a while now. It's the blue color RCR-123 size AW batt toward the bottom of this page:

Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products.

You will also be entered in the weekly drawing for the Whistle Tip

Thanks, I did not know about it. They have the AW 18650's that I was looking to find.

As an aside, are the Pila Chargers really that much better then the other chargers out there?

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Thanks, I did not know about it. They have the AW 18650's that I was looking to find.

As an aside, are the Pila Chargers really that much better then the other chargers out there?

Based on what I've read, it seems that the battery experts on this forum recommend the Pila charger. One of the benefits, as I understand it, is that the charge cutoff is at 4.18 - 4.19V, never allowing the battery to get overcharged thus extending the overall battery life.

I'm sure there is more to it and that someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread