18650 battery and mah ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Yes, I was referring to the maximum current (not mAh spec).
A mod that has the capability for high power will have PTC's/fuses that will allow high current to flow. They will only interrupt current above the spec of the device.
So even if the mosfet goes short circuit the PTC/fuse will only offer protection above that limit.
You need a battery at that level of Amps or risk over-current a lesser battery and that is very dangerous to do.

Well, there we might differ at least a little bit. For instance, during the workday I carry a Pico with a Nautilus 2, and pretty high nic juice. I use the Pico at well under 20 Watts with that setup. And I put LG HG2s in it. The Pico is a "75W" single battery mod. I wouldn't use a single HG2 in any mod I planned on using at 75 watts.

I like the extra capacity, and I don't think that's very risky. OTOH, I would never put a battery in that setup that didn't claim at least a 20A CDR (and do so fairly credibly,) even though in theory I'm pulling well under 10.

Dunno- I think the HG2 in a Pico is a safe enough choice, but full disclosure: at work I sit a few feet from stuff in open cases that might kill you if you touched it. Probably not, but you would at least have a very bad day...

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
Well, there we might differ at least a little bit. For instance, during the workday I carry a Pico with a Nautilus 2, and pretty high nic juice. I use the Pico at well under 20 Watts with that setup. And I put LG HG2s in it. The Pico is a "75W" single battery mod. I wouldn't use a single HG2 in any mod I planned on using at 75 watts.

I like the extra capacity, and I don't think that's very risky. OTOH, I would never put a battery in that setup that didn't claim at least a 20A CDR (and do so fairly credibly,) even though in theory I'm pulling well under 10.

Dunno- I think the HG2 in a Pico is a safe enough choice, but full disclosure: at work I sit a few feet from stuff in open cases that might kill you if you touched it. Probably not, but you would at least have a very bad day...

Well, there is what you choose to do and what you recommend to people starting out.
I have used a lower max current battery in a high power mod set to 10 Watts before as a stop gap. It's not something I really wanted to do but weighed up the risk involved.
This was only as a temp measure until I purchased another battery with specs that covered the mod.
I wouldn't dream of advising people do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread