18650 batteries for Smok Alien

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeks

Jun 26, 2011
Washington State
I had completely switched to vaping to replace cigarettes in 2012. In 2013, life got crazy and I went back to cigarettes.

I was using a Kgo/Ego, but I guess the liquids have changed, and a local vape shop said their liquids wouldn't work in my Kgo setup. I had some type of tank, no idea what it was, I bought it right before I quit using it.

So I bought a Smok Alien. (I'm apparently pretty gullible after lunch.) I think I have way more mod than I need, or will ever use. I've been trying to research and figure out which batteries I need and I'm now so confused, I just want to go back to my Kgo with my Vapor 4 Life liquid. It worked for me. I'm surprisingly simple with my ecig, I had one flavor I liked and had moved past trying every new flavor and new tank/cartridge.

I'd like to stick with the Alien for now, and need more batteries. I'm sure I can find them online for cheaper than the vape shop. Can someone please just tell me what batteries to buy? Bonus points for a link. ;-)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

geeks

Jun 26, 2011
Washington State
Forgot to add that I bought 4 batteries with the Alien. They're brown, with a white sticker that says 18650 3000mAh 3.7V. The box they came in says HG2.

I bought a charger too, Nitecore Intellicharger NEW i2. It took almost 4 hours to recharge 2 batteries that were at about 25% according to the Alien display. I'd like to get a second charger to keep at work.

Thank you!

geeks

Jun 26, 2011
Washington State
Lots of good info. I'm writing some of it down to help my older brain keep track. Just finished the article at the second link.

It sounds like the LG HG2 is a good battery for the Alien, but I'm a little confused on how to tell the CDR amps mine are when it only shows 3000 mAh 3.7V. And, I think I may have counterfeit batteries - going by the pictures I've seen, mine don't look like any of them.

It also looks like the Nitecore charger is a decent one.

I now also realize I should have done much more research before I bought something. :eek:

I'm going to keep reading, and will probably have even more questions! :p

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Lots of good info. I'm writing some of it down to help my older brain keep track. Just finished the article at the second link.

It sounds like the LG HG2 is a good battery for the Alien, but I'm a little confused on how to tell the CDR amps mine are when it only shows 3000 mAh 3.7V. And, I think I may have counterfeit batteries - going by the pictures I've seen, mine don't look like any of them.

It also looks like the Nitecore charger is a decent one.

I now also realize I should have done much more research before I bought something. :eek:

I'm going to keep reading, and will probably have even more questions! :p

Well without knowing the B&M's battery supply chain, that white sticker can be removed from them, it is just a shipping label for Customs screenings and such. Under that label in the manufacturer codings, the LG HG2 should say LGDBHG21865 then under that line will be the batch number code. Top of the battery you should see a white ring (if it is silver, black, or metalic sheen to it will be one key of spotting a fake), next at the positive pin itself you'll see a number of prongs going down into the recess there, here it should have 4 prongs, not 3, not 5, but 4. If all those match, the Model Code Line, top cap insulator ring being white, and the positive pin prongs numbering 4 is a good indication the battery is authentic and not a clone.

Key to note battery safety wise, a pair of authentic LG HG2 batteries, you'll have a total of only 20amps Continuous Discharge Rating to play with, with a variable wattage device, higher watts = higher amps, and as the voltage of the battery charge decreases those amps climb higher and higher. At lowest battery charge of about 5.6v with the Alien as that is its shutdown and battery error level, max watts with 20amp CDR batteries is about 100watts, 25amp CDR like the Sony VTC5A 2500mah would be roughly about 130 to 140watts, 30amp CDR like the LG HB2, 4, and 6 1500mah you max out at about 150 to 160 watts (extra special note, no 18650 battery on the market at the moment with current Li-Ion battery technology has a higher CDR than 30amps, any with a label marking that says 35 or 40amps is a lie and marketing gimmick, what we call battery re-wrap companies). The Big 4 actual manufacturers are LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo, do not trust any other brand names out there. Link in my signature line has some run down of how all this is figured out, a good place to start, also @Mooch is a resident battery genius and tester, good to check his blogs as well as @Baditude has plenty of beginner to advanced general knowledge to read over as well.

Battery distributors to check out
US/Can/Mex
www.Liionwholesale.com
www.imrbatteries.com
www.illumn.com
www.orbtronic.com
www.RTDVapor.com

UK/EU
www.batteriesplus.co.uk
www.fogstar.co.uk
eu.nkon.nl (Netherlands)

geeks

Jun 26, 2011
Washington State
New question - do I need flat top batteries?

I'm a little frustrated that nothing in the instruction manual (if you can call it that, it's poorly translated and seriously lacking very important information) or anywhere on the box does Smok give any info on which batteries to use.

I had a very frustrating day at work with pretty much this exact same type thing, so please forgive my snark. I know this is just as much my own fault for not doing my homework before buying.

Thanks for your patience with my confusion and frustration.

geeks

Jun 26, 2011
Washington State
Well without knowing the B&M's battery supply chain, that white sticker can be removed from them, it is just a shipping label for Customs screenings and such. Under that label in the manufacturer codings, the LG HG2 should say LGDBHG21865 then under that line will be the batch number code. Top of the battery you should see a white ring (if it is silver, black, or metalic sheen to it will be one key of spotting a fake), next at the positive pin itself you'll see a number of prongs going down into the recess there, here it should have 4 prongs, not 3, not 5, but 4. If all those match, the Model Code Line, top cap insulator ring being white, and the positive pin prongs numbering 4 is a good indication the battery is authentic and not a clone.

Key to note battery safety wise, a pair of authentic LG HG2 batteries, you'll have a total of only 20amps Continuous Discharge Rating to play with, with a variable wattage device, higher watts = higher amps, and as the voltage of the battery charge decreases those amps climb higher and higher. At lowest battery charge of about 5.6v with the Alien as that is its shutdown and battery error level, max watts with 20amp CDR batteries is about 100watts, 25amp CDR like the Sony VTC5A 2500mah would be roughly about 130 to 140watts, 30amp CDR like the LG HB2, 4, and 6 1500mah you max out at about 150 to 160 watts (extra special note, no 18650 battery on the market at the moment with current Li-Ion battery technology has a higher CDR than 30amps, any with a label marking that says 35 or 40amps is a lie and marketing gimmick, what we call battery re-wrap companies). The Big 4 actual manufacturers are LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo, do not trust any other brand names out there. Link in my signature line has some run down of how all this is figured out, a good place to start, also @Mooch is a resident battery genius and tester, good to check his blogs as well as @Baditude has plenty of beginner to advanced general knowledge to read over as well.

Battery distributors to check out
US/Can/Mex
www.Liionwholesale.com
www.imrbatteries.com
www.illumn.com
www.orbtronic.com
www.RTDVapor.com

UK/EU
www.batteriesplus.co.uk
www.fogstar.co.uk
eu.nkon.nl (Netherlands)

My batteries have a white ring, with 4 prongs going down into it. At last, some good news! Thank you!

I'm thinking these will work for me - LG HG2 18650 Battery Genuine & Tested - 20A 3000mAh - Flat Top - Wholesale Discount

I'm currently vaping at 33W according to the display. Am I correct to assume I need to adjust my watts down as my batteries drain? Or is this something the Alien adjusts for on its own?

On this note, I'm going to bed and hoping some of the info gels while I'm asleep! I'll probably have nightmares of exploding batteries chasing me. :w00t:

Berryknight

Sep 13, 2017
Forgot to add that I bought 4 batteries with the Alien. They're brown, with a white sticker that says 18650 3000mAh 3.7V. The box they came in says HG2.

I bought a charger too, Nitecore Intellicharger NEW i2. It took almost 4 hours to recharge 2 batteries that were at about 25% according to the Alien display. I'd like to get a second charger to keep at work.

Thank you!
The batteries you bought is LG HG2 good for Box mods

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
FWIW, I get two full days vaping from two Samsung 30Q's in my Smok Alien vaping at 10W. The higher the wattage level you use, the shorter the vape time. LG HG2 and Sony VTC5 or Sony VTC6 should give you similar results. At any rate I'd think you could go all day or longer on a set of two cells at common wattage levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread