Not open for further replies.

FaceT1me

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
No problem - it's all a bit confusing at first! Protected batteries have a built in protection circuit. They are recommended (by vendors) for use in fixed voltage mechanical mods to protect against over discharge and over current. A VV device has a boost circuit built into it, so that you can change the voltage. Protected batteries often do not work so well with these boost circuits and, therefore, "safe chemistry" unprotected batteries are recommended instead. VV mods also benefit from the higher current draw offered by IMR batteries. You might find this link useful:

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

JJ

Last edited:

El_tecolote

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
The chemistry inherent in AW IMR batteries makes them safer then traditional Li. They can't vent, and flame like Li cells can, but they can still get super hot and possibly melt your pv and maybe cause something to catch fire, if you should short circuit one.

IMR's can be over-discharged because there is no PCB. The recommended voltage range for most IMR cells is 4.20-2.5v (about 3.3v resting voltage is the lowest you should bring the cell without recharging it). But then again, even AW's can be way over discharged.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I've never let my battery go down that low where my device starts blinking. I always charge every night. Is that bad?

It is not a good idea to charge a battery over night or while you are gone. While it may be a 1 in a million chance of a battery venting, it isn't worth the risk if it does, if you are awake and home you have time to take care of it.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Thanks for the info NancyR. I had no idea. I have batteries charging all over my house. Wonder if it's the same for regular rechargeable batteries (not for vaping) too. I've had some batteries sitting in chargers for months. Didn't think about it being a hazard. Guess I better start taking them out when they are all charged up.

Another question: How does everyone handle charging everything that needs charging? I have my cell phone, my bluetooth and now my three vaping devices. I've got power strips in almost every outlet in my house. And they are all filled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread