1/25/14 ECFZone takes on Bloomberg's claim that PVDs no better than the patch; C.V. Phillips on "we just don't know"; Clarence Page, all US domestic t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
For simplicity/uniformity, *all* links not known to come from CASAA or this site (etc.) are broken. I'll leave it up to moderators to restore any. See analysis below of NYC mayor Bloomberg's claim that PVDs are no better as cessation devices than the patch, C.V. Phillips of CASAA on the "we just don't know" argument. Local jurisdictions continue to restrict vaping store licenses (two stories on that yesterday), also Clarence Page may become an ally. All links from US today, states covered: MA, PA, OH, MI, MN, WI, IA, MO, OK, UT, CA.

(Our own Infozone) Bloomberg: "E-cigs as good as patch" - ECF InfoZone [Gary Cox analyzes of Bloomberg's claim that vaping is no better than the patch and therefore doesn't work well as cessation]

(C.V. Phillips on the "we just don't know" argument): “We just don’t know” is a bit old, isn’t it? | Anti-THR Lies and related topics

(Men's Fitness Mag US national) www . mensfitness . com/gear/e-cigarettes-puff-into-prisons [analysis of yesterday's NYT article on PVDs in prisons. A little junk, and writer seems to be about 10% opposed and 90% in favor. Not sure it adds much to NYT article]

(PR firm's analysis of PVD advertising revenues) www . koeppeldirect . com/drtvblog/electronic-cigarette-ads-advertised-on-television/ [interesting statistics on TV ads and international market volumes, no junk]

(Greenfield MA US local paper) www . recorder .com/news/10365659-95/board-reviewing-comments-about-e-cigarettes-decision-most-likely-in-february [city council meets to discuss indoor and potentially outdoor ban - treats PVDs like analogs - only one vaper shows up, seems likely to pass. Proposed ban would include bus stops, 20-ft perimeter around municipal buildings, also prevoius ban on sales in pharmacies. Based on this article it appears that MA health board is committed to the postion that PVDs s/b treated like analogs for all purposes - CASAA alert may be worth looking at, as this spreads across MA)

(Philadelphia PA US Tribune): www . phillytrib . com/commentaryarticles/e-cigarette-users-need-love,-too.html (editorial by Pulitzer-prize winner Clarence Page, appears to be favorable to vaping and contains no junk that I can find)

(Unaffiliated Philadelphia PA US Web site) www philly com /philly/living/Councilman-Bill-Green-introduces-e-cigarette-ban-to-Philly-City-Council.html [Indoor use ban introduced in Philly, writer is strongly opposed to it, article appears to be junk-free]

(Pittsburgh PA US CBS radio station) pittsburgh cbslocal com/2014/01/24/are-e-cigarettes-considered-harmful-or-helpful/ [also looks like straight factual reporting on indoor vaping controversy]

(WLRN Miami FL US unaffiliated radio station) wlrn . org/post/e-cigarette-sales-minors-now-crime-three-broward-cities [report on legislation & ordinances banning sales to minors in Broward co. FL US, appears to be mostly junk-free/straight factual except possible junk in quote from mayor of Weston]

(Cleveland OH US ABC radio affiliate) www . newsnet5 . com/news/electronic-cigarettes-are-raising-health-and-safety-concerns-across-the-country-some-causing-fires [chock-full of junk including the fires myth]

(Kalamazoo MI US unaffiliated radio station) www mlive com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/01/the_basics_on_e-cigarettes_whe.html [relatively favorable intro. article stresses smoking cessation successes - junk content is minimal, arguably none]

(Brooklyn Center MN US public TV) www . twelve. tv/news/newsitem.aspx?newsid=1431&newsitemid=23527 [Brooklyn Center issues moratorium on all new tobacco store licenses, this is a growing trend - see stories yesterday - county has banned PVDs on all co. property and other outside bans are being considered, article is chock-full of junk. CASAA has issued alert for MN due to punitive taxation)

(Milwaukee WI US Journal-Sentinal) www . jsonline . com/business/electronic-cigarette-businesses-booming-b99155894z1-235887541.html (covers locally e-liquid businesses including JOhnson Creek, doesn't appear to contain junk)

(Ames IA US local paper) amestrib . com/news/state-local-leaders-band-together-regulate-e-cigarettes [so far the effort in IA appears to only be directed towards sales to minors, but there are hints in this article that more may be coming - no CASAA alert yet)

(Springfield MO US CBS? affiliate radio station) www . ky3 . com /news/local/busienss-owners-hospitals-decide-whether-to-ban-or-allow-ecigarette-use/-/21048998/24108604/-/msodw8/-/index.html [apparently voters in Springfield voted down a ban on indoor vaping, article covers local businesses' & hospitals' choices. straight factual reporting appears to be junk-free]

(OK City OK US Fox? TV/radio affiliate) theokieblaze . com/stories/2014/01/25/lawmakers-file-legislation-to-ban-underage-e-cigarette-use/ (more on OK legislation, Thursday's St. Sen. hearings, etc.)

(Salt Lake UT US NBC radio/TV affiliate) www . ksl . com/index.php?nid=960&sid=28466779 (More on Rep. Paul Ray's crusade against vaping, bill would at least ban sales to minors but probably more given his attitude - makes no distinction between vaping and tobacco burning)

(Phoenix AZ US CBS radio affiliate) www . kpho . com/story/22071692/lighting-up-e-cigarette-charger-sparks-car-fire-in-az (another battery fire story involves an unattended EGO T charger in a car)

(LA Times CA US) www . latimes . com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-ecigarettes-20140124,0,6512284.story#axzz2rQH0RFvj (picks up the "make smoking seem normal" junk in NJEM - for analysis of that see C.V. Phillips NEJM: insight into the narrowness of public health views about THR | Anti-THR Lies and related topics - article appears to be straight factual reporting insofar as it takes no position but obviously contains junk as any such summary will)

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The Clarence Page link is being blocked by my virus program. This one works well, and the Chicago Tribune is his home paper. Government going overboard in ban of e-cigarettes - chicagotribune.com

Clarence was in journalism school at Ohio University when I was an English major there. Other contemporaries were .... Belsky (NBC News.com) and Joe Eszterhas (film writer and director - Basic Instinct, Flash Dance, Sliver, etc.)

[Noted that Mr. Belsky's first name was censored. It is the common short form of Richard that rhymes with Rick.]

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Clarence Page: "Although I am too cheap to buy an e-cig ...... I alternate between nicotine chewing gum and a nonelectric nicotine inhaler prescribed by my doctor."

Like many of his ilk - he's too cheap to buy an ecig but more than willing for his insurance company to buy more expensive drugs and devices. :facepalm: Maybe if or when his insurance company drops him, he'll be able to experience the joy of vaping :)

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Clarence Page: "Although I am too cheap to buy an e-cig ...... I alternate between nicotine chewing gum and a nonelectric nicotine inhaler prescribed by my doctor."

Like many of his ilk - he's too cheap to buy an ecig but more than willing for his insurance company to buy more expensive drugs and devices. :facepalm: Maybe if or when his insurance company drops him, he'll be able to experience the joy of vaping :)

Hmm, I wonder if he knows that DIY is probably cheaper than buying nicorette (which his ins. co. may not have paid for, prior to Jan 1st, and may still not). Actually a nicotine inhaler is basically functionally indistinguishable from a PVD with no VG and no flavoring.

But if I spent most of my time flying around the country, or in other "smoke free" environments, I might be forced to use gum and inhalers too. Come to think of it, he's a pretty big wheel, so he might travel to countries like Switzerland that have banned PVDs. (Besides it's a lot easier to cross international borders these days when you have a prescription for items that confuse customs and security agents.)

It's also worth noting that the social discrimination against world-famous jet-setting Pulitzer-Prize winning book authors and newspaper columnists (which may be what you mean by his "ilk" ??) who happen to "smoke" is probably fairly intense.

No one is gonig to treat him rudely, of course. But we all know that smoking tobacco is a fllthy disgusting habit that's killed millions of innocent bystanders, and that e-cigarettes are merely another way to smoke :rolleyes: Just ask Stanton Glantz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread