You didn't quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooh69

Apr 18, 2013
wisconsin
What is it with people that smoke analogs? There are a couple of people in my life that smoke analogs that I have told I quit and how(by vaping). The first thing out of their mouths is "you didn't quit technically, you are still getting the nicotine." Is this reaction from them because they still smoke analogs or what? Does anyone have something I can say to them so that they will help support me in my quitting or to just get them to shut-up?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I would state that I DID quit using a product that has 4000 chemicals in it, 40 of which are known to be carcinogenic for one that has the same safety characteristics as nicotine gum, patches and inhalers. So if they think you didn't quit, then people who use NRT products also didn't quit based on their flawed logic.

And if you need more supporting information, as well as to protect your right to vape which is being attacked across the country, go to CASAA and join and support the only group fighting on our behalf. Just click on the banner at the bottom of this post.

Last edited:

RogerLee

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
Northern Nevada
I dont really have that problem where people say to me that. On my wife says that "Im cheating" when i quit smoking and started vaping. But since I quit analogs, my health has gotten much better.

What is it with people that smoke analogs? There are a couple of people in my life that smoke analogs that I have told I quit and how(by vaping). The first thing out of their mouths is "you didn't quit technically, you are still getting the nicotine." Is this reaction from them because they still smoke analogs or what? Does anyone have something I can say to them so that they will help support me in my quitting or to just get them to shut-up?

smooh69

Apr 18, 2013
wisconsin
I have used the nicotine gum, patches and inhalers response to them. they come back with if you are using those you didn't quit either. I have stated the 4000 chemicals, that usually gets them to stop for awhile. I was hoping for support from these people not confrontation.

@ boiler, LOL, I do that to my mother. She looks at me and says shut-up you used to smoke.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
This question pops up here every so often and I think most vapers end up with this scenario sooner or later. The best answer I remember reading recently (and I wish I could remember who said it!) was something to the effect of "If vaping isn't quitting smoking than neither is the patch or gum... Do you see those guys chewing cigarettes or taping them to their arm?" :D

In my experience I have one friend who is trying to quit "cold turkey". I think he's ticked off that I gave them up so easily compared to his trials and tribulations. I quit that way once too. More power to anyone that can. I think many of the rest of the smokers who say I am "not quitting" when I vape are secretly envious that I've found a way to escape the smoker's dilemma! NOTE: Two who first said that to me are now vaping as well ;)

hottierockstar

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
southern california

even better is "i'll believe it (not smoking) when i see it...in a year" cuz no one that ever quit smoking for *twenty* years has gone back? (i work with someone who did just that)
or "that is worse for you than smoking!"

i wouldn't/don't bother saying anything other than "ok" or "holy smokes....this sticky bun vape sure does taste gooood"...you just aren't going to convince them so just be proud of yourself and vape on :)

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
It's simple really. You didn't say you quit using nicotine (which isn't any worse than drinking caffeine, according to the information from several publications and CASAA), you quit smoking. This would be completely truthful and accurate. Vaping has zero smoke, as nothing is combustive, just heated liquid into vapor w/only 4 ingredients, vs >4000 in cigarettes.

So, if you're not using cigarettes, yea, you did quit, and congratulations. :)

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas

Who cares what they think? I have been very lucky that everyone in my life if so happy that I am not smoking. I wouldn't try to change thier mind. Life is too short to worry about what other people think, If they are smokers they just aren't ready to consider giving up thier best freind:vapor: Vape away

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
I think most intelligent people will be supportive. Some perhaps a bit jealous (smokers or ex smokers). But in the end it's not about them or how people perceive vaping as a crutch. You can't please everyone no matter who you are or what you do.

I would just agree to disagree and move on. Life is too short and you just want to extend yours a little.

Kwahrk

May 7, 2012
Chicago
Nicotine good....Cigarettes bad!

Nicotine's mood-altering effects are different by report: in particular it is both a stimulant and a relaxant. First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness. By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.

When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers including acetylcholine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, vasopressin, arginine, dopamine, autocrine agents, and beta-endorphin. This release of neurotransmitters and hormones is responsible for most of nicotine's effects. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration and memory due to the increase of acetylcholine. It also appears to enhance alertness due to the increases of acetylcholine and norepinephrine. Arousal is increased by the increase of norepinephrine. Pain is reduced by the increases of acetylcholine and beta-endorphin. Anxiety is reduced by the increase of beta-endorphin. Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems. Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread