Worn Brass and VVS Mod Polish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
Morning everyone from LA :)

My local B&M sells this VVS mod Polishing Kit (below) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried it? I want to get it for my Nemesis clone (mixed edition) since the brass color on the rings is so worn but would it even restore the brass finish or just make the splotches look shiny? Any better suggestions?

http://vapesupreme.theshoppad.com/#/product/mod-polishing-kit

9yzugady.jpg

First let me say that i am not 100% familiar with the finishing processes that are used on that exact unit so this is a generalization of basic metal finishing that i have used over the 25 years of working with metal and different finishes. Im a custom metal worker and painter, not a mod builder...... yet.....

Never dull will make the blotches shine. From what i can see in the photo it looks like that unit is a brushed finish that has been cleared. Part of what you are seeing is the clear rubbing off. The question is what kind of clearing process was used, what is the substrate, was it plated after brushing or anodized?

Once an original finish has been disturbed restoring it to exactly as delivered by the factory is almost impossible with out stripping it to the substrate and using factory equipment to restore it.

So disappointment has been established, now its time to play ;)my recommendation is to visit a site called caswell coatings and take a look at there fourms on metal finishing also eastwood company has a lot of info on metal finishing, another cheap option is to go to the hardware store and buy some steel wool in different grades and rub with the grain of the existing finish.

Steel wool burns remove batteries and make 100% sure all traces of it are gone, it will rust and stain, i do not recomend it
But it will work, i just cant recommend it to a novice. Using autobody grade sand paper is a better option. It takes years of practice to master metal finishing i wouldnt practice on a prized possession. I would either live with the patena or as a pro go hog wild and "bedazzel" it (my chick says i have to bedazzel all of my things)

So good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread