What batteries do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
In my experience, I get much better run-times out of the IMRs. So much so that they're all I use in my GLVs, both 5v and 3.7v and my UltraFires have been relegated to emergency back-ups.

I'm between the 1000mAh UltraFires and the AW IMRs. The IMRs cost about four times as much. I use a GLV2mini. If IMRs last longer in my mini than the 1000mAh UltraFires I can overlook the price difference. Will the IMRs work on my UltraFire charger (WF-138)?

Last edited:

Pamdane

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2011
Cleveland area, Ohio
Yep. You all were right.
My Tenergy 3.0v RCR123A lasted a whole 15 minutes. Brand spanking new. Full charge.
Fortunately, I got the batteries as an experiment, at the same time I got more UltraFire 3.6v to have.

So now, when someone asks, its not just a "dont do it" its "thats been tried by me, it doesnt work".

Anybody want to trade 2 new Tenergy 3.0v batteries? ROFLOL.

jaybird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
MI USA
www.greatlakesvapor.com
From what I've read, the high drain AW16340, despite being a lower 550 Mah, gives out a bit better performance than the non high drain AW CR123's at 750 Mah...
Is that right? ...Just like to know which battery is better for my recently ordered Super mini
Cheers.
Not sure of the difference, but the 750mAh have a protective chip making them safer IMO. If you trip the protective devices in an AW battery with out that chip they are ruined. AW batteries are the safest in the world IMO ,and both of those batteries will work fine.

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
Not sure of the difference, but the 750mAh have a protective chip making them safer IMO. If you trip the protective devices in an AW battery with out that chip they are ruined. AW batteries are the safest in the world IMO ,and both of those batteries will work fine.

The 'High Drain 16340'/IMRs are supposed to be a safe chemistry battery, as safe if not more than a protected CR123. You can (and I do) buy them made by AW

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
I get all my battery supplies from a flashlight website, but they aren't a supported vendor here so I don't know if it's appropriate to post a link. I'll PM you with the info

EDIT: I'll post here what I've written to aliens in regard to his or her question about the safety of the IMRs in case it helps anyone else. Disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer, this isn't a professional opinion

Tendril said:
Hey aliens,

The GLV can optionally come with AW batteries, which these are also. AW makes good batteries; they're widely regarded as more safe than Ultrafires and the like. IMR is by design a safer battery than protected lithium ion, and since they are from the same reputable manufacturer I believe these are the safest batteries you're going to find. They also fit perfectly in the GLV, as the GLV is made for the AW CR123, and AW makes these as a direct replacement.

The only thing to watch out for is discharging them. With a standard lith-ion battery it decreases in performance as the battery drains, so it's obvious that the battery has a low charge. The IMRs give consistent performance from full charge until just before they are discharged. There are only a few puffs where your performance is hindered before the batteries go from on the brink of being empty to completely drained. The charge capacity of the batteries is lowered each time you fully discharge them. Just be on the lookout after a day of vaping; if they are getting to the point where they don't perform as they have been all day, don't vape on them until after they're charged again.

FYI the 550mAh IMRs should give you more battery life than the 750mAh Li-Ions that you can get with your GLV; from what I've read they are more comparable to a 900mAh Li-Ion in terms of how much power you can get out of each charging. Just try not to run them all the way down

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread