Status
Not open for further replies.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Variable voltage and variable wattage is pretty much the same thing. Voltage and wattage has a direct relationship, therefore if you manually increase voltage using a vv device, then the wattage increases. Vice versa if you increase wattage using a vw device, then the voltage increases. Some devices like the iStick allows you to either adjust the voltage or adjust the wattage, and the device automatically adjusts the other. Other devices only allow you to adjust one and not the other (just variable voltage or just variable wattage).

Variable wattage allows you to make adjustments at a much finer level of detail. Using a 0.5 ohm coil as an example, if you set your voltage to 3.3 volts, then the wattage is set to 21.78 watts. If you increase the voltage to 3.4 volts, then the wattage increases to 23.12 watts, an increase of 1.34 watts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam AZ YaMa

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
VV = Variable Voltage
VW = Variable Wattage

The ending 2 results that determine flavor and vapor is temperature at the coil and the ending wattage. Before VW most adjusted variable output with VV, and through math calculations learned to figure final wattage, through this formula Voltage times Voltage divided by coil resistance = Power (Wattage), ie an old Ego (3.7 x 3.7) divided by 2.0ohm coil = 6.845watts. Variable wattage devices arose with the birth of Evolv's Darwin, the first VW device. What VW does is you set the ending wattage, chipset reads the coil resistance, and adjusts the voltage automatically instead of manually as we used to have to do with just straight VV.

Both methods achieve the same goal, some still prefer to dial in output using VV only, but both get the same results. VV analogy, stock Chevy Sedan with no cruise control, VW analogy, the upgraded Chevy Sedan with the luxury package, just set the wattage, speed limit, and the chip adjusts the throttle to match the incline and decline of the road (resistance of the coil) automatically.

Adam AZ YaMa

Jun 30, 2015
thanks a lot ppl.. bt yet um lil confused.. as i dint play with any of vv/vw.. so.. the thing is.. den is it okay to have only VW mod??? cuz dats wat um planing to get.. vw only mod.. is der any cons if i am getting a vw only mod over vv/vw mod.. lyk i will be using multiple tanks.. so lemme kno if vw only mod is fyn.. for variable tanks and variable resistance..

1)pros and cons of vv & vw mod..
2)pros and cons of vw only mod..

if u ppl could help me out dese two things d pros and cons so dat i can proceed my decision..

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
thanks a lot ppl.. bt yet um lil confused.. as i dint play with any of vv/vw.. so.. the thing is.. den is it okay to have only VW mod??? cuz dats wat um planing to get.. vw only mod.. is der any cons if i am getting a vw only mod over vv/vw mod.. lyk i will be using multiple tanks.. so lemme kno if vw only mod is fyn.. for variable tanks and variable resistance..

if u ppl could help me out dese two things d pros and cons so dat i can proceed my decision..
I am sorry, I'd like to answer you but I do not understand you language. Some sort of English?

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA

There really is no difference between getting a mod that is vv/vw versus getting one that is vw only. With vw, you are adjusting your wattage directly. With vv, you end up adjusting your wattage as well, but you are adjusting the wattage by adjusting the voltage, which will give you larger incremental changes in wattage. It's like trying to make measurements using a ruler that has increments only down to 1/4" versus using a rules that measures down to 1/16". Either one will give you a measurement, although the rules that goes down to 1/16" will give you a more accurate measurement.

Using the example I gave you earlier:

Variable wattage allows you to make adjustments at a much finer level of detail. Using a 0.5 ohm coil as an example, if you set your voltage to 3.3 volts, then the wattage is set to 21.78 watts. If you increase the voltage to 3.4 volts, then the wattage increases to 23.12 watts, an increase of 1.34 watts.

So say you are using a 0.5 ohm coil. If you are adjusting voltage adjustments will most likely allow you to adjust by 0.1 volts. As you can see from above, you can adjust the voltage to give you wattage slightly above or slightly below 22 watts. You cannot set it to give you exactly 22 watts. With variable wattage, you can set it for 22 watts exactly.

Also, say you change the coil in your tank from one resistance (0.5 ohm for example) to a different resistance (1.0 ohm for example). If you are using variable voltage and you did not change the voltage setting, switching the coil will automatically change the wattage (by half going from 0.5 to 1.0 ohm). If you were in variable wattage, switching the coil will not change the wattage, it will change the voltage to keep the wattage the same.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
i use VW mods for my regulated devices and have not missed being able to adjust voltage (since I can adjust wattage, it's kind of irrelevant, in my experience) but that is just my two cents... to the best of my knowledge, if you adjust wattage, you ARE adjusting voltage, based on your coil resistance (and conversely, if you adjust voltage, you ARE adjusting wattage)... you may be overcomplicating things... I would recommend find a solid, reputable VW device that works for the resistance/ builds you plan to use and get your vape on

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
I am sorry, I'd like to answer you but I do not understand you language. Some sort of English?
Innercity hip hop
sup-smiley-emoticon.gif

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
A VV only mod means you can only adjust voltage
A VW only mod mean you can only adjust wattage
A VV/VW mod, you have to choose what mode you wish to run in, VV only, or VW only, a lot of confusion happened early on with these, some thinking you had to set both settings, but only one setting and mode is active at a time, examples set VV mode, set to 4.2v, the mod will output 4.2v no matter the atomizer, set into VW mode and a setting of 10watts, the mod will output 10watts no matter the resistance of the atomizer. Basically a VV/VW mod gives you two avenues to adjust your power, not just limited to 1.

New technology just hitting the market the past few months is Variable Wattage with Variable Temperature Control and Limiting, throws a whole other variable into the mix.

/edit
And yes, just a VW only mod is fine, it is more flexible than a VV only mod, they are great set and forget plug and play, as it is the ending wattage you after in the end anyway.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I used variable voltage only mods (Provari's) for three years. I can't say I was ever in a situation where I'd use variable wattage.

My new P3 Provari has both VV and VW. I've used it in both modes. Same difference. Change one setting (VW) and the other (VV) changes automatically along with it.

Everyone should use whichever mode they are most comfortable with. They'll both get you to the same place, just using different calculations.

I liked learning on variable voltage because you could use the Ohm's Plus Two formula. Say you are using a 2.0 ohm coil. Add the number "2" to that ohm rating and the sum will be a good starting place to set your voltage.

2 ohm + "2" = 4 volts

1.5 ohm + "2" = 3.5 volts
On the other hand, if you use multiple tanks which have different ohm coils, variable wattage will recognize when you change tanks and make the necessary power setting so that you are still vaping at the same wattage as before. With variable voltage, you'd have to make the calculations yourself (simple math above).

Last edited:
Reactions: IMFire3605

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US

I have a few VV/VW mods(MVP 2.0, VV V3, and iStick 50w), and love them. I have another that is VW only(sigelei 150w), and I love it more. They both do the same thing, except the VW ones give you more precise control over your settings. As was said earlier, increasing wattage means the voltage increased, increasing voltage means the wattage increased. On most VW mods, it will tell you what voltage you are running at, even when you are using watts to adjust it. It is just two different ways to do the same thing. If you are looking at a mod that is VW only, I wouldn't be concerned about it. If you really wanted to set it to a certain voltage, you just do some quick calculations and come out with what the voltage and resistance you are wanting to use would put out in watts, set the device to that many watts, and go.

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT

To kind of keep this simple: First, there is no real "advantage" whether the mod is both vv & vw, or just vw. Most folks now days simply run in vw anyway, only because it is actually an easier mode to dial in your preferred vape, because variable wattage delivers a similar strength vape across different tanks (or more to the point, the coils in those tanks) whereas with variable voltage, a setting that works well with one tank, may not for the next.

At any rate though, there are very good mods that only run variable wattage, and very good mods that run both modes, it is not a consideration that I take into account when purchasing a mod.

The good news is that much of the "junky" mods have been squeezed out of the market due to the influx of so many good, and reasonably priced ones...competition has raised the standard from what it used to be.

I do recommend if you are fairly new to vaping to stick with the better established brand names (not that there are not some decent off-brand mods, but then there is more of a risk as well) such as Innokin, Joyetech, Kanger, Segelei, eLeaf, IPV for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread