Vaptio IronClad with Frogman C Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the IronClad with Frogman C Kit from Vaptio. The IronClad with Frogman C Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Bear from Vaptio.

IronClad Frogman C Tank Kit

Introduction

Vaptio are getting a very good reputation for having their fingers in many pies regularly releasing high powered devices, pod devices, vape pens, innovative starter products and very simple press a vape devices like this offering the IronClad which has an internal 2600mAh battery. As the name suggests the IronClad is a sturdy device and despite being a direct output device it auto detects the voltage from the battery and resistance to limit the device to 50w or what has been cleverly done with the inclusion of 2 different 0.2ohm coils keeps the device at a constant 50w output. The 2 provided coils are for the included Frogman C tank which is compatible with other Frogman coils as well as many mainstream coils including Baby Beast coils. Vaptio products have never disappointed me yet so let's give the IronClad Kit a good look!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Box

Contents:

Iron Clad Mod
Frogman C Tank (6ml)
Frogman Coil M1 0.2ohm mesh coil (pre-installed)
Frogman Coil T1 0.2ohm strip coil
4ml straight glass
USB Cable
Spare parts
QC Card
2 X Manuals

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The IronClad Kit came in the usual Vaptio style cardboard packaging, with both device and tank presented in their own compartments in the top tray of the opened Box. I received the Red version, the IronClad is also available in Black, Gray, Orange, Blue and Green, all colours are glossy. The colour of the device refers to it's main chassis which looks and feels like it's Zinc Alloy, we also have an In Mould Labelling (IML) panel which sweeps right around the device giving the device a Black accent. The device has a lot of shape to it, raised areas and curved edges, it's a nice out and about size and weight. The front see's the top taper down towards the front of the device and the base of the device raises from the flat also at the front. We have a chunky fire button towards the top on the front which is on a slight slant, the IML panel on the front houses the micro USB port then lower down we have branding. Both sides of the device has a triangular translucent panel for LED indication, the base has venting slots on the raised front and the flat section of the base has printed branding and safety stamps. Moving to the top we have a guitar plectrum shaped design surrounding the Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The device feels very comfortable in the hand, seems well made and has no rattles whatsoever.

Frogman C Specs and Features:

Size: 24.5x52mm
Capacity: 6ml
Coils: Frogman Coils – M1 (0.2ohm Mesh), T1 (0.2ohm Strip)
Top fill
Adjustable airflow
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Gray, Red, Orange, Blue, Green

Frogman C Overview

Gone the Frogman logo on the glass, gone the spring loaded bayonet fitting top-cap which the way it springed up when released was where the Frogman name as far as i was aware came from. The only reason for keeping the Frogman name with the Frogman C tank seems to be because it uses Frogman coils which are a mainstream fit so many coils including Baby beast coils will fit. The tank has a proprietary sleeve fitting wide bore delrin drip tip, not a fan of proprietary drip tips but it suits the tank well and is comfortable enough. The Frogman C is top-fill and has quite a short threading, just 2 turns and it's off, the threading is very smooth and silicone inside the top-cap gives it a good seal. With the top-cap off we have the fill section revealed which is a metal plate with 2 large kidney shaped fill ports cutout. The top-cap has one step towards the drip tip and heavy textured design, the same textured design we see on the base of the tank which tapers so is wider where it meets the glass tube than the bottom. The airflow control ring has dual average size cyclops slots, the ring moves with nice resistance and has a stopper. The coil screws into the base and the top of the coil screws on to the chimney when the tank is screwed together, the glass tube is sealed top and bottom with o-rings, its a solid but pretty standard sub-ohm tank. The tank comes pre-installed with a 6ml bulge glass but it can be swapped for the supplied 4ml straight glass. As mentioned the Frogman C is compatible with Frogman coils and other mainstream coils but the kit comes with 2 new coils that suit the 50W constant output of the IronClad. Pre-installed is the Frogman M1 0.2ohm mesh coil and it also comes with the Frogman T1 0.2ohm strip coil.

IronClad Specs and Features:

Size: 45x26x79mm
Battery: 2600mAh (internal)
RGB LED display
Output: 50W max
Leak-proof 510 connection
All in one button operation
Output Voltage 2.8v - 4.2v
Charging Current: DC 5V/1A
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Gray, Red, Orange, Blue, Green

Using The IronClad

The IronClad is a simple press and vape device which gives 50w of power. 5 presses of the fire button turns the device on and 5 clicks again turns it off, when on simply press the fire button and vape. On both sides of the device towards the top we have triangular LED display which indicates the battery status when vaping. When the LED lights Blue the battery is between 70% and 100%, when the LED lights Green the battery is between 30% and 69% and finally when the LED lights Red the battery life is less than 30% and it's time to think about charging the device, the IronClad has all the usual safety protections.

Protections

10 seconds over vape protection
Short circuit protection
Over charging protection
Low voltage protection
Over heating protection

50 Wattage Device

The IronClad is a direct output device but automatically detects output voltage of the battery and the resistance of the coil and uses PWM to limit the wattage to 50W. In other words if possible the device will constantly give 50W unless the voltage on the battery falls below where along with the resistance 50W is no longer possible. When this is the case the device operates as a direct output device and the power will decrease along with the voltage of the battery, so the device will automatically reduce voltage to get 50W but does not boost voltage. With this kit 0.2ohm resistance coils have been chosen to suit how PWM works so you get a constant 50W vape throughout.

Using Frogman C and IronClad Independently

The IronClad and Frogman C of course can be used independently of each other, and has mentioned the tank is compatible with mainstream coils so plenty of options. Using the IronClad you do need to bare in mind it's a direct output device so as the voltage decreases so does the power of the vape however with the PWM keeping the wattage to a max of 50w it's ideal for any tanks you use stock coils with that are 0.2ohm or 0.15 ohm for example as it will essentially use PWM to give you a constant 50w vape, again certain builds will suit the IronClad well for the same reason given.

My Experience Using The IronClad Kit

The IronClad fires without hesitation and fired every time without exception. The slant of the fire button and shape helps along with the curvy shape of the device to make the IronClad very ergonomically friendly. The Frogman C is not over airy and gives a smooth restricted lung hit, personally i had the airflow about 60% open for the restriction i like. Both coils give good flavour as you would expect from mesh style coils and also what i have come to expect from Vaptio coils in general. I do prefer the spring loaded bayonet top-fill of the original Frogman but the Frogman C is a good sub-ohm tank with very decent capacity. A lot of thought has been given into supplying the 0.2ohm coils so you get a constant output and 50w seemed spot on for both coils. Unlike a couple of recent kits i have reviewed that had leaky tanks i suffered no leaking from the Frogman C whatsoever but if you do use a tank on the IronClad which leaks the device has a leakproof 510 like other recent Vaptio devices. 25mm tanks fit without overhang but in my opinion 26mm also look good, the IronClad's battery life is comparable and as good as any single 18650 device i have used. The device supports 1A charging and also supports pass through so you can vape while charging.

Sturdy, well made device
Ergonomic
Good colour options
Simple device
PWM keeps wattage to a constant 50W (when possible)
Battery status indication
Multiple protections
Leakproof 510
Frogman C good sub-ohm tank
Both coils good flavour
Compatible with mainstream coils
6ml capacity
Spare 4ml straight glass
1A charging
Supports pass through
Good battery life

Cons

If 50W not possible power of vape will decrease as the battery voltage decreases
Not suitable for high wattage vapers
Wattage can't be adjusted
proprietary drip tip
Preferred bayonet top-cap of original Frogman (comparison)

I would once again like to thank Bear from Vaptio for supplying the IronClad with Frogman C Kit for the purpose of this review.

IronClad Frogman C Tank Kit

Reactions: Conductor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread