Vaping cotton is dangerous for health?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Considering that in 10-15 ml the microcoil is a lot black in the center, and in particular also the cotton around it is a lot black, I think that the cotton partially burns, and somehow it releases toxic particles. I ask you wich could be theese particles, if we absorb big quantities about those and, most important, if there is one or more studies about what is inhaled with cotton heated at 400°. Thanks.
Silica wick is made for this temperatures, cotton not, so I m a bit scary about what is released with this last material.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Juices can contain sugars which darken during the heating process... I make my own extracts from pipe tobacco and I know that there are very little other chemicals in my juice other than VG and tobacco "juice". Even with just that, my cotton becomes dark from the natural sugars present in the pipe tobacco. And, I have used silica with the same darkening occuring, so it isnt just cotton making it dark...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/562106-ecf-sub-ohm-advisory.html

"2. Inhalation issues

It is likely that the super-heating of e-liquids that takes place in an RBA run at less than 1 ohm will create some toxic materials.

This is just plain logic and should not be seen as anything radically new: burning up refills creates some nasties and there is no way around that. It is likely that materials such as acrolein and aldehydes will be seen in measurable quantities, and some pyrolytic compounds may even be created.

Inhalation of sub-ohm vapor is probably not the same as regular vapor and therefore may have additional risk. It is likely to create conditions where potential carcinogens (cancer-causing agents) will be seen in measurable amounts, and so there must be some elevation of risk, which will escalate as resistance goes down and heat goes up.

We can regard this as significantly more important than battery safety at this time: there are no reported incidents of exploding APVs or house fires caused by sub-ohm rigs self-destructing; but there are probably thousands of people inhaling materials that are simply not present in vapor from a regular clearo run at 2.5 ohms.

Buttery flavors
We have to add a specific note on butter/creamy flavors here. Diacetyl or a similar substitute is present in some flavors, and it is likely that many of this flavor group have exactly the same issues as diacetyl, since they are all fairly similar molecules. Because of the sheer volume of liquid consumed and the volume of vapor created by sub-ohming, all issues related to refill liquid safety are magnified.

Until more information is available, our advice is that all butter/cream type flavors are avoided for sub-ohm use (inhalation of the butter-popcorn flavoring diacetyl can cause the irreversible degenerative lung disease (bronchiolitis obliterans, aka 'popcorn lung').

This warning is not pure speculation:

• A research study has already indicated that the vapor created by high-power vaping contains more potentially toxic compounds.
  • Dr Farsalinos' recent study reports that a very high percentage of cream-type flavors contain diacetyl even when the vendor claims there is none present."

-- Rolygate (ECF forum administrator)

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Might want to consider learning best build practices.
Not all, but most of my cotton builds rinse completely clean even after a couple of weeks use. We are talking 8-10 tank fills on my Kayfuns.
Yes, when opened up things look brown and Yucky but that is just caramelized e-liquid and it rinses right out.

I would consider my wicks put off next to nothing compared to just 1 trip, 1 way, driving to work.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi. Considering that in 10-15 ml the microcoil is a lot black in the center, and in particular also the cotton around it is a lot black, I think that the cotton partially burns, and somehow it releases toxic particles. I ask you wich could be theese particles, if we absorb big quantities about those and, most important, if there is one or more studies about what is inhaled with cotton heated at 400°. Thanks.
Silica wick is made for this temperatures, cotton not, so I m a bit scary about what is released with this last material.

Use bottom coil and cotton. As long as wick does not get dry your cotton doesn't get black.
Don't let your wick get dry.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
If you use organic unbleached cotton as your suppose to you really should not have to worry. Still probably need to boil it. Silica is not with out its hazards. Silica can break off and you can aspirate these silica chips. Most of that carbon you see is the juice unless your running 15 watts a coil with poor juice flow.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Vaping cotton is dangerous for health?

Uh, yeah it is! vaping anything comes with some health risks. the risks may be known or unknown... the only thing you should be inhaling is clean fresh air.

there is much debate about what sort of wick, coil wire alloy, power amount, e-liquid solvents, flavorings, brass, steel... is going to give you the cleanest and healthiest vape. only time and scientific studies will tell.
i can tell you that i don't think vaping on cotton wick is a good idea. all the studies and tests we have as of right now, are done on the off the shelf ready to vape items that use silica for wick or cartomizers and the results look rather promising.. if you vape on cotton wicks you are throwing another unknown (for now) into the mix. and i would rather know what im getting my self into. i rebuild my main dripping rig every 4 days. i spend like $25 on silica wick PER YEAR. the couple bucks extra is worth it IMO.

Last edited:

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I really don't think that most of us who vapes is really inhaling enough cotton to present a health risk. There may be particles felt while vaping, however this is likely the buildup on the coil.

Everyone has their own method of cleaning these, I'm going to state mine. What I do when the flavor starts to get scorched, is to remove the coil from the tank. I have an exrta T3S base, for the purpose of testing rebuilt coils, to ensure that I'm between 2.0-2.2 ohms. This, I also use to burn off coils as they get crusty, that is, if they're not blown.

Remove the coil from the tank & then the chimney & gasket. The coil will still be attached to the base. I have an ego style mod, what I do then is, while the coil is still wet from juice, is press the power button on the mod for a couple of seconds at a time, smoke will begin to rise. Don't hold it too long. Do it in 2-3 second bursts about a dozen times, the smoke will begin to disappear & you'll begin to see the red glow. That's what you want to see, the crud is being burned off. Blow on it between this, this helps to get rid of loose particles.

Once it's good & fairly glowing all across, it's much cleaner than before. Place a couple of drops of whatever juice you're using (the same flavor) onto the wick & replace the chimney & gasket. Allow it to sit for a few minutes, refill the tank, replace the coil & let it sit for a few minutes to absorb. The first few draws may taste a little burnt, but that will go away & you're good to go until the next time.

This also extends the life of your coils. I used to rinse then with hot water, allow to dry then burn them off, however many times the coil would burn out, so now I do it as described above. This saves one from buying or rebuilding coils as often.

As for the cotton when I rebuild, I also use braided silica (ekowool) of the 2mm thickness & 32 guage genuine TemCO Kanther wire. It's important to use a torch lighter to burn both off before use (not too much on the silica), I make sure that the Kanther wire is burned until it's glowing, across the whole piece that's being used. Helps to handle the wire better, plus burns the oil off of it, which is likely far worse to breathe than anything else.

I really don't believe that the cotton alone will harm someone, unless it's the cheapest stuff that can be found. You get what you pay for in general, which is why I insist on Genuine Ekowool based silica.

Personally I believe that this *risk* of the cotton is overblown & chances are there's far worse things that many of us breathes daily.

Cat

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Last edited:

StrafeMalone

May 8, 2014
Hutchinson KS

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
/r CoilGore really paints the picture...

http://i.imgur.com/Wnmnj8b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xDKhUCA.jpg

imgur: the simple image sharer

these are all cotton builds posted above.

never seen silica do that... where the whole wick turns black, even the part that is not inside the coil...
this tells me that something is going on with the cotton that does not happen with silica.

Well first of all I can tell from the sticky atty that this person is using a really dark juice. Cotton stains very easily compared to silica. Of course the cotton is going to turn dark. Second of all, that's one nasty freakin' coil. Clean your stuff guys!

Not that I'm saying you should use cotton if you're uncomfortable with it.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Uh, yeah it is! vaping anything comes with some health risks. the risks may be known or unknown... the only thing you should be inhaling is clean fresh air.

Well, we eliminated that with the Industrial revolution and NASA has not found a suitable planet with a Clean Breathable atmosphere so far.

Also the term is POSSIBLE health risk - Until proven specifically it is assumed, NOT Known. The simple act of Breathing in this age has possible health risk.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
The Chemical process is occurring in the liquid as it is heated. The change is NOT occurring in the cotton. The cotton is soaking up the residue from the liquid. Try it yourself. Pull your cotton and soak it in water and see if it doesn't come clean. This is of course assuming that the coil was properly wicked and saturated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread