Vape Merchants Should Not Email Usernames & Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanzo.esq

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
TX
In the past, it was forbidden to email a username/password to a user for two very good reasons:
1) Every computer between the sender and the receiver gets a copy of that email
2) It was impossible because the passwords were stored using a one way hash meaning that only password verification was possible - no one could ever read passwords out of a file somewhere

Recently two vape related merchants have sent me my username and password via email upon creation of an account contemporaneously with a purchase. This is one of the most offensive, disrespectful, ignorant, insecure practices I have seen on the internet in a long time. Why did they even bother with an https connection for the sale?

I know my mom uses the same username and password for many accounts. How many people can claim that they randomly generate a secure password for every account they create?

Merchants should not be able to send usernames/passwords to users via email. And even if they can, they never should.

I guess I will don my flame ......ant gear for any ...... that wants to disagree with me. Otherwise, please complain to your merchants when the do this. It is unacceptable and must stop.

Can I name names on this forum?

</rant>

Hanzo.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Two things.

...snip...contemporaneously with a purchase.

Beautiful use of the word contemporaneously. That would make your English teacher so proud.

I guess I will don my flame ......ant gear for any ...... that wants to disagree with me...snip...

That's harsh.

I agree with you actually. Up until recently the IT department where I work would do this. I asked about it numerous times before they changed the policy.
Go ahead and change your password, I think I am right in saying they will send a confirmation that it was changed, but this time, they won't include it in the confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread