Turbocad's finally selling mods :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney Australia
This mod looks awesome Turbo, congratulations! I have admired and followed your work for a long time.

I have to mention though, the problem with the DNA133 is not the wattage, but the 6v limit.

This can really handicap this mod for those that prefer a higher ohm build. On a 1 ohm coil, the DNA133 will max at 36W! I know, I own a DNA133 squonker, and run into the "ohms too high" message on occasion. I still love mine though, beats my 40s any day of the week!

I understand that this is not a problem for your standard "sub 0.5ohm" temp control build, but it needs to be mentioned.

Congratulations again, and keep the pics coming........

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
hopefully within a week or so

"preferring a 1 ohm coil" is such a mech mindset though, I mean why would anyone "prefer" a 1 ohm coil? because they want to vape at less watts... with a regulated mod a .6 ohm coil can vape exactly like that 1 ohm coil would have vaped on a mech, so I don't look at that as much of a handicap really, just a difference... the dna200 is a totally different beast from a mech and in being so you should ideally learn how to work with it, for example you can build just as you're used to but use a thicker gauge wire than your used to, but not have the usual drawback of lag that a heavier wire would have had with a mech because this has a preheat that eliminates the lag and it has power to spare. yes there are differences but not necessarily drawbacks, you just have to learn to work with it rather than fight it. once you start playing with temp control the coils are usually much lower resistance anyway, but again, "low resistance" or "sub ohm" is a totally different thing when it comes to the mech mindset VS modern regulated temp controlled chips.... here you can vape a sub ohm coil at low watts no problem so the stigma that surrounded sub ohm no longer really applies....

also, what was the wattage limit of a 1 ohm coil on a mech for someone who "prefers" a 1 ohm coil? :)

btw, BA Mods stands for: Big Apple Mods

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
OK..this is really informative for me. I just moved to squonking a few months ago after a couple of years with RTAs. Here is how I vape, and I would welcome any recommendations on how to use the DNA 200 chip (I wasn't that enthusiastic about TC even though I had an SX M class that didn't see much use):

- For my 12 mg nic juice I use a 1-1.2 build (mostly 1 ohm, after I moved to squonking) on small MTL atties. With this build I'm usually in the 18-20 watts range if using a regulated mod and an RTA.
- For my 3mg nic juice I use a 0.6-0.7 build on airier atties. With this build I'm usually in the neighborhood of 40 watts.

From what @turbocad6 said, this may have to change

Because I'm living in Egypt, the dual 18650 configuration is ideal for me, and I do appreciate anything with minimal hassle since I'm weary of sending my gear halfway around the globe for maintenance or repair. So this mod seems to fit my needs.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Laurie, didn't take your post as critical at all, just trying to explain to anyone reading how to work within the parameters of what works within the range of the chip, and address what you are calling as a problem and a handicap.

anyone who is accustomed to vaping a 1 ohm coil on a mech is used to vaping at around 13-17 watts depending on there state of charge, so being limited to 36 watts really shouldn't be a problem, you could still build that 1 ohm coil and still vape it at exactly the kind of wattage you want to. actually as you already know, you can now dial it in to how it would have vaped at a full charge and have it vape exactly the same, all the way till the battery is depleted, it will vape exactly the same as it did on a fresh charge throughout the whole cycle rather than have the power drop and drop as the battery voltage drops and drops. in a nutshell that is what regulation itself brings to the table but temperature control just takes it to a whole other level. I'm answering you but I'm also answering to anyone reading this of course too, I know you know this

now as far as those who are used to vaping say a 1.4 ohm coil on a dna40 at 40 watts, yes you will have to adjust your build to suit the parameters of the range of this chip, but the dna200 is so versatile and so far superior to the dna40 that there really is no reason not to. I will find and post charts showing the build range vs power range of the chip but really it is not very restrictive and it is easy enough to alter your build to suit and I'd refuse to believe that anyone couldn't find a comparable build to work within the parameters of this chip to match the type of vape there used to, unless, again, you're used to vaping at extremely high wattages of well over 100 watts regularly. technically this chip will go to 133 watts but also, again, if your vaping up towards the limit of that then a lipo would probably be better suited because it will experience less voltage drop in those very high ranges... honestly I've never really vaped over 80 watts except to try it and realize that is just not for me. actually I think the highest I've vaped for more than just testing is maybe in the 60 watt range or so and normally I don't even go nearly that high. up to 100 watts or so my configuration is fine, 100-133 watts is marginal but doable and of course anything over 133 watts is just not doable without a 3s 200 watt configuration

Tamer I will start a list soon but for now anyone who has expressed interest is already on my pre-list and when the time comes for me to make a list I will contact all the pre listers and confirm weather they actually want to go on the list or not, so your expression of interest is noted. I think this is the fairest way to do it as over the past several months several have expressed interest, it wouldn't be fair to start a list and have someone who has already expressed interest be left behind, yet I also don't want to be presumptuous and assume everyone who has said "hey when you start a list put me on it" actually wants to or is ready to go on the list if that makes any sense :) that's why in the beginning I did say that I already have a few people tentatively on the list. I know bobc is #1 on this list though :) but no ones mod gets built until all my processes are perfected to the level I'm satisfied with and I'm pretty close now. the list may be a little complicated in the beginning because some may want to source there own wood and others may wind up at the head of the list yet not fancy whatever mod I may have completed and ready for sale at that moment, but we'll work it out. my rules are simple, no one is committed to anything unless and until they're 100% happy with the finished product that's available to them at that time

as far as your builds, honestly from what you describe you should be absolutely fine building exactly the same way you always have and then dial in to the same wattage you are used to, nothing would have to change at all for you but I would encourage you to also try some temperature controlled builds too. the dna200 opens up a whole new world of possibilities. yeah there is a learning curve but the benefits can be worth it with a little trial and patience and it's very possible to wind up getting a better vape than you've ever had. to be perfectly honest I can build a vape that's good enough for me on just bout anything, even a mech although I really don't enjoy mechs personally, heck I could probably even vape a clearomizer on an ego if I had to, but my best builds, the vapes I enjoy the most, are all temperature controlled and given the choice that's my preference, and luckily most of the time that's my daily vape :)

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Turbo I will be honest with you. This looks fantastic, but the price is too high for me. Don't get me wrong it is valued as it should be and maybe less!!! Not sure I will be able to pull it off!!!

Plus the fact that I never buy one of anything, it would cause me problems lol.

I will have to study my priorities in life. But from what I see dayum it is sweet!

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I hear you bro, and I feel what you're saying, hell I'd even say that part of me agrees with you even and I wish I could afford to do it cheaper without sacrificing anything, but honestly this particular mod winds up taking a whole lot of hours of tedious precision work, the kind of work that a little slip or mistake can be very costly in both wasted hours and expensive materials. this mod has litteraly double the amount of internal machine work as many more conventional and simpler designs and were talking about precision in many aspects that are down to hundredths of an inch and even thousands in some critical areas. this takes time, patience and craftsmanship and specialized equipment which all cost money.

when you compare this to an average $400 mod and then start to take into account the additional seventy some odd dollar chip you'd realize that the additional premium here is tiny compared to the amount of additional work. I wanted to price this thing as low as I could and this is why I said initial introductory price, because even though I wish I could sell the thing for less it may prove to even be very difficult to do this much work at this price sustainably. take my door for instance, there's a reason why no mods have used a door design like this. it's because it requires a level of precision that makes it very difficult to consistently produce, any minor imperfection and it's ruined, a drop in magnet door or a simple slide through door like a woodvil would be much easier to consistently produce which translates to cheaper, but I wasn't designing for cheaper I was designing for better. my door slides into place with no gaps even around the 2 lower radiuses and is such a precise fit that it doesn't even require magnets although I do use them anyway... the door can never drop down and it is secure in all situations, I don't like mods that parts can inadvertently just fall off of the mod so I designed it how I ultimately wanted it to be, not to be as cost effective as possible.

if the mod proved to be too expensive to sell then ultimately I'd have to redesign it to be more cost effective but this would require cost cutting measures that would reduce the value of the mod. I wish I could also build an aluminum cnc version and hopefully someday I will be able to, the kind of thing that could be farmed out to a massive cnc machine that would just pump out raw bodies at $50-60 a piece wholesale, then maybe I could offer a cheaper end product aluminum version closer to the $400 range or maybe even less but when it comes to exotic woods and hand craftsmanship this isn't the kind of thing that works like that. eventually I'd love to be able to source and provide more cost effective mods too, but right now this one is just not that

I know most don't even care what it takes behind the scenes they only care about end value, when it comes to value there are many different mindsets and each person has to decide what's right for them. in todays age there are $75 and $100 squonkers out there too, just like there are kias and hyundai's to compete with the bmw's and mercedes, each person has to determine what they value more, craftsmanship and quality or cost effective and good enough. I know my mod is a luxury but honestly I'd rather have one or 2 luxury mods rather than a fleet of cheaper or lesser mods. this particular mod is not for those looking for cheaper and more cost effective, it's more for those looking for the best there hard earned dollars can buy. I can def build a mod cheaper than this mod but i couldn't build a better mod than this mod for cheaper, only you can decide what has value to you, I think and hope that there are at least some who would appreciate just what this mod is and decide that it is worth it for them. when I built my first prototype it took so much work that if I had to put dollar value on it then it would have cost almost double what this mod now costs, all of my efforts in streamlining production and increasing efficiency of building it has gone towards making it more consistent and perfect yeah, but also in making it more cost effective to where I can afford to even produce these things. many of us small time modders are not getting rich making money hand over fist, most are just earning a decent wage for the amount of work they provide and that's all I'm looking to do here too...

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
dang Turbo thanks for the explanation. I am sold on everything you said. Now I want this baby more than ever lol. I just need to secure its funds.

You probably now that by now I have a dibi, a pinch, a bunch of pekos and CC's and more pinches and CC's on the way. It is easy to see that the cost of this mod is not THAT higher than any of those (except the pekos forget the pekos :D), and it provides something new and different. The difficulty is just picking up the first one and then it flows lol. All my other mods funds were secured one way or another. I am sure I can secure them for a BA Mod as well ;). Thanks.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I did not get a chance to make a video tonight, I should be able to tomorrow. the 2 last things I'm waiting on to finalize the mod is 1, I found another supplier with a different selection of wave springs I use for my battery contacts and I'm waiting for a selection of springs from them to see if there options may be better than the ones I already sourced, ideally I'd like a slightly larger diameter without adding to the compressed height and without compromising contact pressure, and 2, I ordered a few of the varitube new spring loaded 510's to see how they compare to my design but the first order I placed got lost, so I'm waiting for another shipment. my 510 design is good but I've been hearing many really good things about varitubes new spring loaded 510 and I figured I should at least compare it to my design. I'm concerned because it is a bit taller than my own design but if it indeed proves superior now would be the time to adapt to it. I may need to add slightly to the height of the mod to accommodate it, but if it really is that great then I don't think that should be too much of a problem depending on how much extra space it needs. I've went through great pains trying to squeeze every last hundredth of an inch out of this mod and the thought of adding any back hurts but if it improves the overall durability and usability it might be a worthwhile tradeoff.

I should have new sample wave springs tomorrow and varitubes 510 in a few days. should be able to button this up by the weekend and I'll hopefully have a video of the squonk action on this mod tomorrow.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I have a question for your guys opinion on something, do you think more would prefer a smaller than 14mm landing pad at the atty base and having the atty sit right to the wood? or do you think more would prefer a 22mm landing pad for the atty? I've usually preferred the smaller pad hidden under the atty, especially for a smaller than 22mm atty but I'm curious as to others opinion on this. a 22mm pad may help keep the height of the mod to slightly less than a smaller recessed landing pad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread