The reality of USPS' Delivery Confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

newb

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2009
Chicago Area Burbs
The reality of USPS' Delivery Confirmation commonly misunderstood as "Tracking" System.

Being a Gold Powerseller on eBay for the past decade, I can tell you from personal experience that USPS Delivery Confirmation is not a method of tracking, but is really intended for the shipper to confirm delivery once it has arrived.

I have questions from newbie buyers coming in my inbox on a regular basis asking questions and making similar statements as the OP.

If any business who ships via USPS Priority Mail or First Class with Delivery Confirmation, they most commonly use the "Click & Ship" method which means they pay for postage and print the shipping label online.

They then schedule a pick up and the USPS picks the packages up the next business day or they have them dropped off at the bulk mail unit in the main post office.

I ship from the SAME EXACT post office that V4L uses since I am 3 miles away from the office/warehouse, and can tell you that sometimes this PO does NOT scan them in for acceptance!

They usually get scanned at the sorting facility then they are sent on thier way. Then if you are lucky it may get scanned at the final destinations local PO before it goes out for delivery which then gives you an idea when it may get delivered.

Usually It gets scanned only twice, at sorting center and then when it is finally delivered. If the postal worker is lazy, it wont even get scanned for delivery! Just like Mary's case above lol!

Priority Mail from Chicago area takes 2 to 3 Days usaually and can take up to 5 days to be delivered in California.

The bottom line is, Delivery Confirmation should not be considered a reliable tracking method, but is usefull to confirm delivery.

Its less pricey than UPS Ground, which IMO has the best tracking system but on the other hand alot faster delivery.

mmcall12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2010
Indiana
I love my mail lady and my UPS man I have both there cell numbers if i need something pick up they will get it for me. If I have something they know I have been waiting on they will call me and let me know they Have it on the truck,,, I talk to my maillady friday she gave it to me I told her I was looking for a very best present in the world she said well here is my number.

CHUCKLEHEAD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Redneck Rivera
I love my mail lady and my UPS man I have both there cell numbers if i need something pick up they will get it for me. If I have something they know I have been waiting on they will call me and let me know they Have it on the truck,,, I talk to my maillady friday she gave it to me I told her I was looking for a very best present in the world she said well here is my number.
My mail man now he's a ok guy! But the UPS driver in a a totally new leauge:p
this_thread_delivers_ups_chick_amaz.jpg

DWTaylor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
South Dakota
datsvaper.com
Thanks for the thread. I know a lot of people think that this is the spot on like the hand of god. I still have shipments that haven't even shown as shipped. Also for those that order outside of the US with from anything with the US, they don't even give us the conf, we get a number that shows customs, if ya didn't get checked or they didn't scan it is the same.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Its not USPS in general. It is the different post offices. My husband sells on the internet and the local post office always scanned it in and then it goes to the mail sorting facility 100 miles away and they always scan it in. The is not scanned again until it is delivered. He has had his internet business since 2001 and USPS has never lost a package.

USPS is cheaper and usually faster than UPS or Fedex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread