Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfectionist

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2008
London
Looks like things are hotting up now with the release of the Kissboxes !! :lol:

However being a Perfectionist, I naturally want more/better/sexier !! :mrgreen:

Here is my personal spec-sheet for the Ultimate E-Cig ..... with a view to improving the design up to a level that this amazing concept can/will really take off and will force Big Tobacco to disappear in a puff of smoke !! :lol:

To all the manufacturers that frequent this forum ..... The Top Ten Points that need to be addressed for E-Smoking to become "mainstream" ..... ;)

1) Nicotine Hit = From what I gather it seems the new Kissbox design is actually beginning to deliver !! :)

2) Taste = Again, the Kissbox is showing great promise !! :)

3) Vapour = Looks like the Kissboxes have made a major leap forward in this department too ..... but so far, only with the Manual switch ! I doubt very much if Manual smoking will ever take off due to it's inconvenience and eccentricity ! Perhaps if the Automatic mechanism could have a more powerful Atomiser and bigger battery providing higher voltage and more sensitive air-pressure switch ..... it may reduce the need to "prime" the E-Cig and possibly give almost instant vapour ?? :?

4) Size = Personally I like the size of the Ruyan No.1 Cigars ! I'd love it if they could design a re-usable version which utilises the new Kissbox atomiser plus a massive battery and huge cartridge/refill ..... basically a device that I can use for a whole weekend when I'm out camping in the middle of nowhere ! :p

Naturally a Cigar size won't be too popular with female smokers so an E-Cig needs to be designed which is pretty much identical in dimension to normal cigarettes yet still gives an exemplary smoking experience ..... :eek:

5) Style = We already have E-Cigs available in lots of different finishes ..... how about further options like multi-colour LED ends, or indeed no LED ..... reproducing the crackling/burn noise ..... beeping alert to warn against over-smoking etc etc ..... ;)

6) Battery Life = As I said above, I think an E-Cig needs to be able to get through at least a couple of days on a single charge, basically lasting as long as a couple of packs of 20 ..... the fact they don't would put most people off as being very limiting, especially when out and about with no spare battery or means to recharge ..... :shock:

7) Battery Charging = Induction Charging, just like my electric toothbrush ! Charging by simply being put on top of a powered device, without actually being connected by a cord ..... I'd love to have a little charging cradle on my desk where I can elegantly lie my E-SuperCigar, and can gracefully pick it up to start smoking without worrying about any wires ! :D

The USB powered designs are a good idea ..... but ultimately are merely an attempt at compensating for the lack of a decent battery solution ..... I honestly can't see Joe Public being chained to their laptops ! This kind of impression will give E-Smoking a very geeky/gadgety image and will prevent it being taken seriously and becoming popular ! :cry:

However, it would be great if a USB cable could be built in to the end of an E-SuperCigar ..... make a battery which is smaller so there is enough space in the body, flip open the LED end, pull out a retractable one metre long charging cord ! Nanotechnology at its best ! :lol:

8) Cartridges/Refilling = Although cartridges are no doubt a profitable revenue stream for the makers, they do create waste which takes away one of the major selling points of E-Smoking ..... cigarette butts should be used as another reason why E-Cigs are far superior to tobacco ..... instead of being seen as better than non-degradable plastic cases !! :eek:

e-liquid refills are a much better solution (pun intended!) ..... the same way a Zippo lighter can be refilled countless times, so should my E-SuperCigar ! e-liquid should be available in big bottles the same way lighter fluid is, maybe even in pressurised containers so that the foam/wool in the E-SuperCigar is filled to the maximum quickly and easily ..... there would of course be the inherent dangers of people accidentally drinking the e-liquid or licking it off their fingers after completing a refill ..... but these sorts of problems are nothing new and are easily dealt with :cool:

9) Packaging = The great thing about smoking normal cigarettes is that you have all you need in one small box ! The E-Cig kits that come with a host of accessories are very nice but also quite intimidating and give a daunting first impression to somebody new to E-Smoking ..... a compact, beautifully designed case which has an integrated charger/power cord and enough space for a small bottle of E-Liquid and a spare battery, would do wonders for Joe Public seeing E-Smoking as a genuine and truly portable alternative to cigarettes :)

10) Price = $99 yes I said $99 ..... for an E-SuperCigar + Spare Battery + 250ml bottle of E-Liquid + Desktop Induction Charger + Travel Charger Case !! If starter kits costs more than 100 bucks, E-Smoking will remain nothing more than an obscure hobby for enthusiasts like us ..... and may eventually see the same fate as the superior but ill fated Betamax !!

Comments and criticisms welcome ! ;)

jdrancor

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2008
reddingk.com
I have some specific notes, and then some general notes on the way electric smoking devices can be improved.

First, my ideal setup.
Here is a photoshop mockup of my perfect electric cigarette.

MiniMini1.jpg

My favorite cigarette is the the Super Cigarette (from ecigsshop.com.) It has the largest volume of smoke, pretty good taste, small size, and is reliable. Also, e cigs shop sells atomizers for $7, so I can stock up (Although my first is still going strong after 2 weeks.) I see an e-cig based on the Super Cigarette atomizer but with a battery that is half the current size. Overall total device length would be 60mm - it would have the form factor of a half-smoked cigarette, and be easy to hold unaided in the mouth. It would smoke for 10 minutes or so - the length of a regular cigarette. Longer smoking time would be better, and this will come with better battery technology, but I'm willing to accept the short time for a better form factor and lighter weight. The cig would then be put into an e-pack for recharging. The pack would be the size of a pack of unfiltered lucky strikes or pall malls, and would contain an EXTRA battery, so that if one wanted to chainsmoke, it would be possible to just exchange batteries and keep going. The pack would also have room for a stack of extra cartridges. The cig itself would have a well modeled ash-tip with the led light that works in the manner I describe below. The battery would have the light banding it currently has, but the matte finish would be more matte. The mouthpiece would be molded from light and dark tan plastic to better resemble the cork filter. The brass parts on the cig would be brushed so that they are not shiny. Basically the whole cig would be matte finish. The Pack would be matte as well, and durably made, with well rounded corners and no sharp parts that would snag a pocket.

General notes on look and feel.
These notes are applicable across the board, to all devices. I’ve been compiling them and adjusting them as I experiment with new brands and devices. I realize that some of these notes will be common requests, and thus repetitions, but in the interest of a thorough post, I have included everything. At present I have 11 different brands and devices. The Ruyan pipe offers the best flavor of any device I own. The majority of the notes, however are on the cigarette-type devices, and not the pipe.

The best aspect of electric smoking is that it does not harm the body like tobacco smoke. This is it’s main benefit and primary selling point. In every other respect, it should be as close as possible to tobacco smoking - starting with the aroma and volume of smoke, and continuing to the visual and tactile sensations of the device itself.

-The tip is important. I feel the gem-like casting is the wrong direction, it is too feminine. The proper direction is the “ash” tip, which will benefit from a more organic casting. Deeper more concentric grooves, more similarities to actual ash. The center plastic should be thinner than the sides for a more organic glow. The air holes on the side must be irregular in size and distribution across the circumference.

- wash of dark grey paint on the “ash” tip creates a more realistic look both when lit and when dark. See here:

ashtip.jpg

-LED on the tip requires more fluidity in operation. Upon the initial drag, it should go from dim/dark to full bright in 1 second. After the drag has stopped, it should go from full bright to dim in 3 seconds. It should remain at the lowest possible dimness for 20 seconds, or as long as a minute, and then go black. This will create a more living feel to the faux ember.

-Shorter more lightweight battery.

-At this point, the easiest way to hold cigs in the mouth, unaided, is with a mouthpiece. Shorten mouthpiece by 5mm to better facilitate holding between teeth. Of all the mouthpieces I’ve used, the e-cig.com mouthpiece is the easiest to hold unaided in the mouth. It is more rounded, shorter, there’s more of a taper going up to the barrel., and the nub at the end is larger, so it goes behind the teeth more solidly. It could primarily be improved by making it 5mm shorter.

-Different color mouthpieces in traditional colors : amber, off-white or cream, and tortoiseshell are good.

-Pipe mouthpieces should have more of a curve, almost a hook, to facilitate hanging from teeth, unsupported by hands.

-Flavor of smoke is lacking. The Ruyan pipe has the most flavor of all smoking devices I’ve tried, but it is still pretty minimal. I think that if the flavor was intensified across the board, there would be less of a barrier to the novice.

-Matte finish on the batteries is pretty good. It should be even more matte though. Cutting down on the reflections of all light is important. Also the matte finish is easier to grip and has a better patina over time. The gloss finish starts to dull and get scratched in spots, and it doesn’t age well.

-Light tan banding on the batteries is good. This could be improved further by a durable logo mark or stamp in either the same tan, dark red, or gold.

Notes on the smoking experience.

-The smoke itself is perhaps the strongest element of the smoking experience. The smell of the smoke and it’s movement around the face and in the environment. A just-lit cigarette triggers many feelings with the scent of the burning tobacco. The better the smell and taste of the smoke, the easier people will convert. Of all the smokers that have sampled my electric cigarettes, every one of them has said that the smoke tastes too sweet.

-Size of cigarette. A half-smoked cigarette is just about the perfect size. Slightly fatter than a regular cigarette, as most mini electric cigarettes are now, is fine, but the extra length is not good. Firstly because it is difficult to hold - the weight of the battery makes it awkward to hold as a regular cigarette. Secondly, longer cigarettes are feminine. Men are more put off by long cigarettes than they are by stout ones. I would be excited to see an electric cigarette that has the form factor of a half-smoked cigarette. Or cigarillo, or cigar, for that matter. It would be less cumbersome, and more familiar.

Classic smoking has a rich heritage of beautiful designs to reference. The vast majority of tobacciana is masculine in nature, and this is an aspect of electric smoking that can be improved upon dramatically. The disposable Ruyan cigar is a good first step in this vision, but still can benefit from improved materials.

jdrancor

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2008
reddingk.com
I just meant that the disposable cigar was good in terms of form factor - it's the best looking electric smoking device, not my personal style, but in terms of materials and execution, it's great. The disposable aspect of it along with the giant price is a big negative. If I drop that kind of money on something electronic, I do not want to be disposing of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread