Temperature sensing cartomizers: calling for discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

smotesko

Jan 11, 2015
Ukraine
Today we have tons of DNA40 mods, GG is a week away from releasing Proteus/VIR, there are temperature sensing pre-made coils available for nautilus, Atlantis and Subtank, but there are still no temperature sensing cartomizers available. I think, it's very easy for any carto manufacturer to start producing them: just give those guys at the production line nickel or titanium wire instead of nichrome, and they'll start producing it.

Pros are obvious: no liquid overheating, so we don't get nasty formaldehydes in our vapor (if they even exist); cartomizers will live much longer and will never give the burnt taste.

There are many people preferring cartos, so I think we just have to ask Boge, SmokTech and IkenVape to make a temp-sensing carto for us and they will deliver.
For DNA40 devices they have to put Nickel (NI 200) wire inside. For GG Proteus/VIR the titanium grade 1 wire is used.

What do you think? Are there some serious reasons for absense of this thing on the market?

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
VUSE is just a super low power device, so dry hits are impossible on it. But if you screw a carto on a ProVari and crank the voltage all the way up to get more vapor you will then get a dry hit.

BLU is a low powered device, as well, and dry hits are not only possible, but likely...

Cartos just aren't made for high powered cloud chasing...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
No cloud chasing, cartos are all about flavor. But one can definitely burn them when pushing them to the limits, I'm just trying to understand if anyone wants a carto that's impossible to burn. Or it's only me?

Most people wouldn't pay the extra money they would cost...

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
We're a dying breed , a small , very small portion of the every changing vaping technology, most of the money right now seems to be either the entry level vaping or the sub ohm off the shelf clearos and the box mods .........time will tell but my thoughts are that cartos will go the way of the 8 track tape .sadly

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia
i just got a Diver V1 in today. the plan is to put a Ni200 build in it but thanks to USPS my carto tank wont be here until tomorrow. i may build it tonight and just drip in it to try it out. now, the Diver isnt a regular carto but it may be a good option if you want to use them in tanks. i will report back after i get it built.

smotesko

Jan 11, 2015
Ukraine
i just got a Diver V1 in today. the plan is to put a Ni200 build in it but thanks to USPS my carto tank wont be here until tomorrow. i may build it tonight and just drip in it to try it out. now, the Diver isnt a regular carto but it may be a good option if you want to use them in tanks. i will report back after i get it built.

That would be interesting. DNA40 is very sensitive to the electrical contact stability and Diver doesn't have screws to make a good stable contact. But if the pressure contact would work fine then I'd be interested.
Looking forward for your report!

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Most people wouldn't pay the extra money they would cost...

Exactly what I was going to say.

Cartos are cheap, and have a short lifespan, so they are disposable. When utilizing something that is disposable, keeping the price point as cheap as possible is the deciding factor.

Just wish they would get better quality control. Drives me nuts the variances in the ohms of cartos all from the same box, not to mention DOA ones.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
We're a dying breed , a small , very small portion of the every changing vaping technology, most of the money right now seems to be either the entry level vaping or the sub ohm off the shelf clearos and the box mods .........time will tell but my thoughts are that cartos will go the way of the 8 track tape .sadly

I sure hope not! Nothing I have tried works as good as a carto- the right flavor with the right draw.

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia
That would be interesting. DNA40 is very sensitive to the electrical contact stability and Diver doesn't have screws to make a good stable contact. But if the pressure contact would work fine then I'd be interested.
Looking forward for your report!

well, it worked, but dang it gets warm quick. LOL. i didnt realize just how tight a draw the Diver had. i just dripped in it last night and the good news is, its quick to change flavors since its such a short wick. i think it would be perfect for just a tasting dripper. got my tank in today so i may toss it in that to try out. its going to take some getting use to with the draw though. its not the prettiest coil i have ever made though. its difficult to get the size coil needed to reach the resistance i wanted but settled on 6/7 wraps of 30awg Ni200 around a 5/64ths drill bit. its definitely not a cloud chasing rig. LOL

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

I agree with this. I used a cartotank on a Provari for over two years and was perfectly happy (so I thought). I was known as the cartotank king of ECF.

Then I went to work for a vape shop where everyone used RDA's and built their own coils. I was obligated to learn to rebuild, too. I still resisted the changeover from cartotanks to rebuildables (for a short time).

I brought in a couple of thousand $$ of extra income to the store my first two months at the vape shop selling cartos/cartotanks (no one else at the store knew anything about them). I asked store management for cartotank tools and carto punch tools to sell to customers as this would help finalize a potential cartotank sale. I was told carto users are a dying breed, and that rebuildables were going to be the store's focus.

Eventually, I made the switch, too. I had been using Ikenvape Platinums in my tanks. Hard to get to be sure, but generally better consistency & quality than what Smok or Boge was putting out. The last 5 IKV cartos that I tried to set up in a cartotank were DOA. That was the final deal maker for me. I made the switch.

Now, if there's a problem with the coil or wick, its MY FAULT, because I made it. I'm no longer spending $2 - $3 a piece for a carto which may end up being a dud. A year's supply of Kanthal and wick (cellucotton, organic cotton, or ... cotton) is about the cost of a month's supply of cartos. Can't beat that from a cost standpoint. And the flavor and vapor production is incomparable to cartos. It's a win win.

I still recommend cartotanks for those not yet willing to get into rebuilding. But yes, we are a dying breed, sadly.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Checkout Boges website, they're still coming out with stuff. 50cents a pop nowadays and last 2 weeks- won't catch me buying clearo coils or wrapping my own.

They wrap pretty good coils for me, only had maybe a dozen bad ones in 4yrs now.

Almost went for the Nautilus's because they're close to a carto. I need a clearo to work well, easy refill and gotta hold 5-6ml.

Some of these clearo tanks are Huge and only hold a few ml.

Last edited:

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Aye,gotta explore a tad bro,there is plenty of devices out there that blow cartos out in the weeds...ask PBusardo!

I have wasted tons of money exploring. The thing that I simply can't stand with all other methods, is the airy draw. I need a stiffer draw, and cartos are the only things that provide that.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2012
    California, Kern
    www.ibtanked.com

I have to wonder about this. I watch the number viewing of the Rebuildable section and the Carto/Clearo section and they generally run about 2/1 but lately has been closer to 1.5/1

Thing is for most cartomizer folks is that there isnt much "NEW" and exciting to talk about each week as the new device comes out and the wait for the knockoff follows. Then invariably the nagging bits come along and next weeks "NEW" promises the fix for it. Loads to keep the conversation going there. Cartomizers just work, sure not the huge clouds or ultra control but for ease of use especially with a friendly eLiquid (clear) changing a cartomizer every week or three is tough to beat.

The thought of some new developments in cartomizers is intriguing. Dont know if temp sensing would be at the top of my personal list and honestly have been quite happy for the last three years with same ole same ole that just keeps my brain thinkin its not missin anything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread