Temperance versus Prohibition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I'm reading a book by Christopher Snowden, The Art of Suppression.

The first 98 pages provide a detailed history of efforts at alcoholic beverage control. I knew about the U.S. Prohibition period, but never knew that some of the efforts to wipe out use of alcohol were world-wide. I also had never given much thought to "temperance" versus "prohibition." I have often seen the terms used interchangeably.

But Snowden's book opened my eyes to the fact that there were two warring factions at work throughout the latter half of the 19th century and start of the 20th century. Early temperance reformers merely wanted drinking to be done in moderation--to reduce the harm done to the drinker and his/her family. Some of the methods they promoted included limiting the hours of operation of pubs and saloons, reducing the percent of alcohol in some beverages, and prohibiting sale of alcoholic beverages on Sundays. Prohibitionists, on the other hand, wanted to totally eliminate drinking of alcoholic beverages.

The U.S. great experiment was the passage of the 18th amendment, which outlawed the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors. The law took effect in January of 1920. The appellation "The Roaring Twenties" gives you an idea of how well the law worked to extinguish drinking. By the time the 18th Amendment was repealed in 1933, it was obvious that the measure was a massive failure. Criminal activity increased, rather than decreasing as the reformers expected it to. Worker productivity did not increase as expected. Jails became filled with those convicted of infractions.

I see a couple of parallels:

Today's tobacco control (TC) leaders have made it clear that their goal is to eradicate tobacco completely. Slogans such as "Toward a tobacco-free world" and practices the substitution of "tobacco" where the word "smoking" is more appropriate make their intentions clear. TC would be equivalent to the prohibitionists who got the 18th Amendment passed.

Those of us who believe in Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR) are similar to the folks who believe in temperance (moderation). We would like to see the disease and death associated with tobacco use be reduced, and believed that the best way to do that is to find less hazardous substitutes for smoking.

Prohibition/TC proponents view themselves as morally right.
Temperance/THR proponents see themselves as realists.
Prohibition/TC proponents often exaggerate the dangers and ignore the benefits of the target drug.

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
I remember seeing the look of intense hatred as Beatles' records were burned in the 1960s because they were deemed by some to be the work of Satan himself. They didn't see the parallel with the crucifixion and the effect it would have on those millions who loved their music! Quite a number of their lyrics could have been adopted by the church as they were songs of love but that opportunity was missed. However, the Beatles and their kind were 'different', so hatred (born out of fear and insecurity) was the order of the day.

We live in a world full of extremes and we all have our view of the 'cosmos', but something like harm reduction is difficult to argue against as it is such a sensible option. While the extremists fight their corners and fail to meet on common ground, we just get on with helping people. By the time they finish arguing, we will have done the job and moved on, leaving them to argue over the next 'bone'.

There are endless examples that amply demonstrate the benefits of temperance v prohibition. Anyone advocating a total ban on cars could be considered extreme, even with the argument that so many have been killed in car-related accidents. Anyone arguing against seat belts, airbags, impact protection, driving tests, age limits, could also be seen as extreme. So the sensible route is to make them as safe as possible and reduce the risk.

Life is too short to waste it all on arguments with no winner.
Every cigarette that isn't smoked is making a winner out of someone!

Now I'm off to read the instructions on my loaf of bread before putting it in the toaster wearing asbestos gloves and with an extinguisher handy!;-)

Cheers
John

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
I first met Massimiliano, the head of Flavourart, over two years ago when he took the time to fly from Italy to the UK to meet up. I was working at Intellicig then and we spent time touring the laboratories and talking mostly about quality, safety, testing, research, and our shared passion for harm reduction. Max is a gentleman of the highest order and is totally committed to presenting first class products backed up with the Clearstream Protocol and an open, transparent approach to safety.
It was an easy decision to set up FlavourArt UK and even though it is run as a separate company, the ties between us are very strong. I took over FAUK in March and am now busy growing the business and incorporating the harm reduction ethos into everything I do. I hope to be visiting Milan as soon as possible to see Max and the new factory.
If the industry is to avoid imposed regulation it would do well to follow Max's example.
The video is a moving piece and I am sure will be used as a beacon in our journey.Best wishes
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread