Some reviews and thoughts for newbs - a decent guide - (smoked 2 packs of analogs a day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
First wanted to say i love this forum and i think it's great that a bunch of people are really into this, even though we're saving money, i do think that inhaling 1 poison instead of 4,000 that come with an analog is still healthier no matter how you look at it :)

I am in no way an experienced vape-man.

What i want to report is a few things, especially for the noobs or new guys that don't think the e-cig will replace their regular cigs, or for the guys that don't think the e-cig will pack enough punch to replace their regular cigs (analogs).

First thoughts and first mistakes.

I originally bought my first e-cig starter pack about a year ago from a local shop that did some research and bought a huge amount of quantities in full starter kits. so my first kit was a Choice-ecig, which is the same as a Joy306, which has cartridge, inner cart, exposed atty and automatic battery and home charger. It came with 50 carts, (menthol 24mg) and came with 2 atomizers. As soon as i charged it and started using it, i knew it would just be a novelty. Just something to do while at home, and just something to do when i want to show off something "cool" , i had no idea that these little monsters would fullfil my nicotine cravings in the future.

What i've learned is i was using up a lot of cartridges, and i was wasting a lot of cartridges because if i wasnt getting vape, i would blame it on the cartridge, throw it out, and pop a brand new one one. Only to realize there was still no vape. Back then i was blaming the carts, when really it was poly-fill stuck to the atty, or just a dead battery. I didnt know how to clean the atty's, didnt even know how they functioned really and the TH was none, just a good amount of vapor which lead me to mentally believe i was "somewhat" getting nicotine.

Then i started reading about drip and dip guide, and how some people have opinions about carts, and how they are A. expensive, and B. not as good as we all would like them to be.

So i kept on reading, i kept on researching
refilling carts?
mods to inner foam carts?
different filler carts?
different methods of cleaning and preparing the atty for use?
etc . the roads of learning were endless

I finally ran into the famous drip and dip routines of the e-cig and decided to give that a try after getting my own e-liq. I first purchased 36mg PG menthol (which puts a hole in my throat) and 36mg PG Spearmint which was great, and about 3 or 4 different 10ML eliq - ranging from coffee to bananna to cigar.

I read more and I liked the dripping option since the atty was exposed, and no more needing to carry carts around ! no more filler on the atty, and no more wondering how much vape juice i have left in the cart. I would put about 5-6 drops on the atty directly, and get a good 15-20 hits (about the same as an analog). The point here is that once I got the good stuff, and the high nicotine eliq and strayed away from the standard carts and prefilled carts, I started to enjoy the e-cig, i started to admire the clearn crisp inhale compared to a very dirty and very "modified" analog cigarette. Smoking a regular cig after an e-cig left my mouth full of disgust and weird taste, almost like i could taste all 4,000 chemicals individually that the manufacturers had put in the cigarette to keep you coming back for more.

Anyway, so after having used up the automatics, and realizing that a 3 second cutoff was not for me (remember, i smoked 2 packs of analogs a day) and I decided to move to manual batteries (which means controlled vapes, and you can draw on it for as long as you want) and I started enjoying my liquid even more. Since i'm a menthol smoker, I mixed 2 parts menthol to 3 parts Marlboro eliq and I got the perfect taste of a Marlboro Menthol in my mouth, without the smell and garbage that comes tagged onto it.

Now trust me, i was one of those people that believed that it would never work and never help, and would never replace analogs. All i'm saying is that you've wasted so much money on analogs, and wasted so much of your lungs to analogs, why not waste a little bit of money and time and find a good mixture, even if it costs you 100$ of eliq to find something you like or to find a mix you like, it's still cheaper than you would spend on an pack of smokes.

I work 10-6 every day and used to smoke every hour. Now i have an eye contact case with me. One side is menthol (pure) and 1 side is menthol/marlboro mix. When i'm ready to vape i dip the 306 atty in the contact lense case, pop on my empty cart and im enjoying 12-15 strong vapes, and throat hits that remind me of the dirty stickyicky-green i used to smoke back in college. So the answer is no, i will never allow someone to say that you dont feel it enter your lungs and throat like a regular analog, i put on a clean cart for the and tell them to suck in and their facial expressions amaze me. Some hate menthol, so that doesnt count, but the ones that love menthol can't believe how strong it is.

Don't be discourage by getting those weak and horrible prefills, thats just the baby food that you need before you become an adult. Its like baby protein shakes, and then when you get up to the 36mg or even 24mg eliq, then you're rollin with the big boys and have enough information to get a perfect combination of vape and throat hit, and now I dont need to smoke all day from 10-6 vs. 10-12 cigarettes a day. This was for the non believers, cause i was one too.

Long post. sorry.

Here is my favorite quote in history, and it came from Guy Ritchi's movie (RocknRolla)
Look at that pack of smokes .

all you need to know about life is retained in those four walls.
You will notice that one of your personalities is seduced by the illusions of grandeur - the gold packet of king size with a regal insignia, an attractive implication towards grandeur and wealth, the subtle suggestion that cigarettes are indeed your royal and loyal friends, and that, is a lie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1527905/Your other personality is trying to draw your attention to the flip side of the discussion, written in boring bold black and white, it's a statement that these neat little soldiers of death and in fact trying to kill you and that, is the truth.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1527905/ Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and i'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1527905/That that starts sweet ends bitter, and that which starts bitter ends sweet.

rfphill

Jan 20, 2010
Iowa
Great post, awesome quote at the end... and so true.

Now that I'm sold on the eCig as well as everyone else I've ever introduced it to, I have to start a quest for flavor. One thing that I enjoy by the end of the night (I was really only a night time smoker) is that I want FLAVOR... all the juices I have found so far don't give me that captivating flavor I want, or I just too used to it too fast. Now I'm trying to find ways to boost the flavor of the vapor! Didn't think I would ever be interested in fruity flavors or wierd contrived avatars of REAL cigarette brand flavors, but now, it's the new grail...

It's fun, all of it... the whole thing. And knowing it's a bit safer than the old analogs is such a rush. I can smoke in the house, I can smoke in the car (not that I do, but still), it just freakin' tickles me to no end...

lightinup

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Great post, awesome quote at the end... and so true.

Now that I'm sold on the eCig as well as everyone else I've ever introduced it to, I have to start a quest for flavor. One thing that I enjoy by the end of the night (I was really only a night time smoker) is that I want FLAVOR... all the juices I have found so far don't give me that captivating flavor I want, or I just too used to it too fast. Now I'm trying to find ways to boost the flavor of the vapor! Didn't think I would ever be interested in fruity flavors or wierd contrived avatars of REAL cigarette brand flavors, but now, it's the new grail...

It's fun, all of it... the whole thing. And knowing it's a bit safer than the old analogs is such a rush. I can smoke in the house, I can smoke in the car (not that I do, but still), it just freakin' tickles me to no end...

Tasty Vapor has doublers with 0 nic and some great flavors.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
thanks for reading everyone, i just dont want to get ahead of myself and start buying titans and screwdrivers to try to get the best experience. I'm going to stick with my 306 and joye510 for now, i think i just need to find the right eliq first, then decide what i want to do. I need to find the right combo of menthol and marloro, because the 36mg menthol i ordered taste more like halls cough drops than anything else. gotta mix that with some other liqs to see how i can lighten the load of menthol.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
thanks for reading everyone, i just dont want to get ahead of myself and start buying titans and screwdrivers to try to get the best experience. I'm going to stick with my 306 and joye510 for now, i think i just need to find the right eliq first, then decide what i want to do. I need to find the right combo of menthol and marloro, because the 36mg menthol i ordered taste more like halls cough drops than anything else. gotta mix that with some other liqs to see how i can lighten the load of menthol.
You're not gonna be able to 'match' your old cigggie taste if that's what you're aiming for. The juice will never give you the same flavor cos you are missing actual tobacco in the mix, (tobacco has a flavor over and above the nicotine flavor plus ciggies have other flavors from various chemical components) but you might get a little closer; I understand Halo (halocgis.com) do some decent menthols, though I haven't tried any - I hate menthol :) Check out the E Liquid review forums for more info on all suppliers of juice.
Why limit yourself though to tobacco flavors? There's a whole world full of flavors out there just waiting to try!

Nice post btw

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
I agree. I do feel that i'm limiting myself and could be even lessoning my experience bc i only have marlb 36mg and menthol 36mg, and both of them pack a punch, and a headache :) Mixing them together gets me to a decent menthol cig, but believe it or not, the tobacco taste is very very strong - TW decadent 36mg. So i ordered a vanilla, a coke, and a coffee to try to enhance my experience, because sometimes the menthol just ends up being too much, and the tobacco straight up makes me feel like i'm inhaling a cigar. lol. Good thing i only bought 10ml of tobacco. Instead of dipping the menthol in the tobacco to make it minty, i'm thinking of dumping the tobacco in the menthol so the menthol has the dominant taste, vs. the tobacco having the dominant taste.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
36mg is a LOT of nic - even for a heavy heavy smoker its a lot.
Go to the E Liquid reviews page (do not pass go, do not collect $200 - lol) and read read read.
I order from many different vendors - there's a bunch of yumminess out there and by using a variety of suppliers you get a nice choice. I have my current fave vendors (no need for a free plug, I've got reviews up you can read if you're inclined :) )but I still try new ones; I don't limit myself to just the ONE place.
Also try different nic levels - you shouldn't be vaping yourself into headaches btw. That's a warning sign of too much nicotine.
Have fun trying stuff! :thumb:

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
Go to the E Liquid reviews page (do not pass go, do not collect $200 - lol) and read read read.
I order from many different vendors - there's a bunch of yumminess out there and by using a variety of suppliers you get a nice choice. I have my current fave vendors (no need for a free plug, I've got reviews up you can read if you're inclined :) )but I still try new ones; I don't limit myself to just the ONE place.
Also try different nic levels - you shouldn't be vaping yourself into headaches btw. That's a warning sign of too much nicotine.

:thumb: Agreed. I did that the first two nights I started vaping. Whoa... it didn't feel that good. I backed off the 510 for an hour, and it went away quickly, but I realized right away that I'd just gone a bit too far :)

Ditto what everyone else has said: There is SO much out there to try as far as flavors and variety. I considered myself a heavy smoker and I started at 24mg - It was a lucky choice because it's still a comfortable nic level for me.

BUT - I do drop down to 18 or 11mg on occasion. I have periods of time where I really vape constantly. Dropping the nicotine level allows me to indulge and satisfy my need to "chain vape" with no risk of the head ache or stomach ache (my signal that I've gone overboard and gotten too much nicotine too quickly)

I was a menthol smoker and I found Halo's menthols to be exactly what satisfies me. Not fake-mint, not sweet, a true menthol that I can vape all day - the same way I smoked the same brand of ciggies all day.

Look around at people's e-liquid reviews and reviews of the suppliers. Maybe try a few sample sizes of different flavors ... we're not limited to just "cigarette" flavor anymore! The flavor varieties still amaze me. You never know :)

Great post!! Thank you for taking the time to write it! I like the quote at the end too :)

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ

Capt, i agree with you on the nic level, i get light headed after 2 or 3 hits, i feel like i'm 16 again. The reason i chose high/super high was because about a year ago, i was first introduced to the ecig joye306 which had an exposed atty (which is still use for testing purposes and small vape sessions) and they came with 50 21mg menthol carts. Coming from 2 packs of Marlb menthol a day, i thought i was supposed to be replacing one with the other (that is not the case) and i just felt the 21mg cartridges were too light for me. I didnt think about the dilution effect when the carts are prefilled, plus the filler that holds some of the nic back, plus the age of the cart and some of the nic/liq drying out in the filler. So i went right to 36mg thinking that's what i need. Don't get me wrong, its not like i have nausea and a cloudy head and light headed, i'm just feeling a little different because i'm not used to the nic level, plus the taste because even after 2 hours of mixing, i can get it close to a marlb menthol but thats only in MY mind, someone else might think it tastes better or worse or NOTHING like an analog, which i shouldnt be trying to compare it to anyway. Here is my equation (or a bad attempt at one).

American cigarettes contain about 9 mg of nicotine, but because much of the nicotine is burned off, a smoker gets about 1-2mg of nicotine in every cigarette.

So what i'm thinking, is if a cig has 1mg of nicotine, and i'm dropping 3 drops of 36mg type eliq in my 510, i wonder with that equates to - since the amount of liq x(multiplied by the) the amount of vape -( minus) the extraction/evaporation of nicotine during burn equals = ? who the hell knows, i only got that far . lol :p

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I'm pretty new as a vaper. But, from reading lots of folks' thoughts concerning nicotine levels I am fairly well convinced that the appropriate level depends a lot on HOW you vape.

I've yet to get an OD headache and I've been vaping 36mg for the past couple weeks. At work I just grab a drag now and then, except for a couple ten minute breaks. Then, I take two or three PVs outside to keep from overheating the atomizers. That's how hard I'm hitting them on break ... I rotate PVs.

But, in the evening, I vape pretty much as I used to smoke ... chain vaping. It was not unusual for me to kill an entire pack of cigarettes in six hours between work and bedtime. One significant difference (for me) between smoking and vaping, I can take a drag or two on the PV and put it down for a couple minutes. That doesn't work so well with a cigarette. I REALLY like that aspect of vaping. :) At work, I can take a drag and slide it back in my pocket. :)

Oh, for what it's worth ... I used to smoke MORE REDS. Most people who have tried mine say they're very mild when compared to Marlboros.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
I'm pretty new as a vaper. But, from reading lots of folks' thoughts concerning nicotine levels I am fairly well convinced that the appropriate level depends a lot on HOW you vape.

I've yet to get an OD headache and I've been vaping 36mg for the past couple weeks. At work I just grab a drag now and then, except for a couple ten minute breaks. Then, I take two or three PVs outside to keep from overheating the atomizers. That's how hard I'm hitting them on break ... I rotate PVs.

But, in the evening, I vape pretty much as I used to smoke ... chain vaping. It was not unusual for me to kill an entire pack of cigarettes in six hours between work and bedtime. One significant difference (for me) between smoking and vaping, I can take a drag or two on the PV and put it down for a couple minutes. That doesn't work so well with a cigarette. I REALLY like that aspect of vaping. :) At work, I can take a drag and slide it back in my pocket. :)

Oh, for what it's worth ... I used to smoke MORE REDS. Most people who have tried mine say they're very mild when compared to Marlboros.

thanks for the tip brother. I bought a PCC which really isnt a neccessity, it's more of a novelty item. It does help with keeping one battery charging, while the other one is put to good use :) i've learned that 36mg is a lot of nic, especially when trying to test different flavors out, I end up with a nice little buzz and the floor starts to spin (and i've been smoking for 10 years), so I went down to 24mg, (555 menthol, with about 20 drops of menthol 36mg in a 10ML bottle) and i find its the perfect vape. I don't think its ever going to taste like a cig, after all....there is nothing good to chase after in that aspect, but i will say it tastes more like a menthol analog than a halls cough drop :) I'm enjoying much more now, and now all i carry is the PCC, 2 carts, one empty for drip, and 1 with filler for when i go outside, or want a long session while driving to work or home from work. I find the filler provides me with 15 drops of e-liq, where as the direct drip only can hold so much, for me its about 4-5 drops. If i'm prepping to get to work i fill up the filler with liq, put 2 drops on the atty, and i'm good for a half hour. (not vaping the whole time, but i'm hitting it every 2 or 3 minutes, just like an analog). I think my experience was damaged a little bit by trying to smoke straight menthol 36mg, and I hope this helps any new people out there that have smokes menthol for years and think straight menth. is going to match their analogs. It won't, and nothing ever will, but hey, thats just my opinion on taste. we all have diff. taste buds, and all like different flavors. My friend at work vapes TW DEC Menth 36mg all day and loves it, he thinks anything else is just a waste, but to each his own.

:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread