Some coils crackle some dont?

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
Hey guys ,

Quick question why does some of my coils give me a nice crackle sound and some coils do not?
Im using vandy vape alien coils atm with no crackle at all, i was using just regular fused claptons wotofo before it and that had a ton of nice crackling how come this new alien does not?
It does taste alot better but i miss the sound :/
Does it mean its a bad coil?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
As @Daniel Forsyth said................ " It's your wicking :thumb: "

Wicking any RBA is a total "feel" thing. Once you know the "feel" of a good fitting wick in a coil you can reproduce that every single time.

Rule of Thumb with Wicking: Too little = gurgling/flooding. Too much = dry hits/muted flavor.

Ideally you want a cotton wick to be tight fitting within a coil when moving the wick side-to-side, but not so tight that it moves your coil when you move the wick side-to-side.

A wick should move side-to-side within a coil while feeling some friction.

And absolutely, not loose fitting within a coil.

Again, wicking is a "feel" thing.

If using rayon for wicking, you need to use ~30% more density versus cotton. That's because rayon contracts (cotton expands).
As noted in both rayon threads, you want a rayon wick to fit tightly (not too tight). You should hear some squeaking as you pull rayon through a coil.

I switch off between using cotton and rayon in all my RBA's.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
its already pretty loose in there

If your wick is "pretty loose" in your coil then that's the problem............ your wick should not be loose fitting.

You should be "feeling" friction as you move your wick side-to-side in the coil. If you are not, then you Do Not have enough wick density.

See my previous post.

Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
All coils crackle, some you just don’t hear.

1692575818252.png

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
If your wick is "pretty loose" in your coil then that's the problem............ your wick should not be loose fitting.

You should be "feeling" friction as you move your wick side-to-side in the coil. If you are not, then you Do Not have enough wick density.

See my previous post.
Depends on your definition of loose. It shouldn’t be so loose that the wick doesn’t touch the coil when it is saturated. Too tight can also be a problem because there is so much wick that juice won’t flow.

Users who are viewing this thread