Single or dual coils? Why u like urs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabusi

Mar 25, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I haven't messed around with single coiling yet but I'm about to try. I've only been vaping about a month now but when I started out using an RDA two weeks ago, I went straight to building dual micro coils with 28ga kanthal. After work today, I'm gonna build a single coil with 28ga kanthal but don't really have a idea where to start as far as how many wraps. I guess I'll start with 8-10 wraps.

What coil build do you prefer; single? Double? Quad? And why? Thanks for all feedback.

-cabusi-
vaping on: genuine Zenith V2 - Chiyou clone - dual micro coils

CoryT

Mar 25, 2014
Dallas
One of the reasons I prefer dual coils is for the warmer vape. The last single coil RBA I had was the Odysseus which I liked since then I have started sub-ohm vaping though and to get the same resistance off 28 gauge kanthal in a single coil you have to use less wraps decreasing the surface area of the coil. So its easier for me only having 28 gauge kanthal to use dual coils than to go out and buy some thicker wire.

Cabusi

Mar 25, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I have noticed going from a trident clone to a zenith, that the smaller chamber produced a warmer but thicker vape. I seem to like a med cool vape. Vaping now at full airflow on the Zenith, it feels that colder vapes don't give me as much flavor. I'm not sure the air hole sizes on the zenith because it uses long slots not round air holes. Air flow on this thing is ridiculously adjustable.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
I tend to prefer a single coil in the 1.3 - 1.8 ohm range. Better flavor than a dual coil setup of the same resistance.

Just a quick question, CA, and kinda on topic to OP post...

I am using a dual coil Scar. Single coil better on that? I assume I would plug the other air hole in the deck if I am doing that.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I like singles better. I can get almost the same vapor as with duals and do it with less power.

I seem to only like 2Ω coils so my dual that I like0 is 1Ω, I can almost power it with a single battery. But when I use a mech the time it produces enough voltage is short lived. On a Vamo the 1.2Ω limit requires stacking to push hard enough.
Duals are just too hard to push for what you get.

I'm not a fan of sub-ohm so far. I do have a 1.3Ω single I like and I liked a 1.5Ω single, both drippers, but 2Ω is easier on battery run time.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Just a quick question, CA, and kinda on topic to OP post...

I am using a dual coil Scar. Single coil better on that? I assume I would plug the other air hole in the deck if I am doing that.

I have no clue, I've never used one.

Single because I can build them. Actually changed my Protank3 to a singlew and actually works better IMO

If you can build a single coil then you can build a dual coil. It's just two single coils on the same connection, each one at double the intended final resistance. (ie. you use two 2ohm coils to make a 1ohm dual coil)

6ib7t5.jpg

2zzu5ic.jpg

j8ksis.jpg

That said, you'll get no argument from me regarding the single coil working better.

ACIDXFX

Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Halethorpe, MD, USA
Dual micro coils with organic cotton. 5 wraps of 28ga, around a 1/16th drill bit. Comes out around .4 Ohms. I have a broken Trident and I use the same set up, only with one coil.

There is a lot more to it than coil build. Airflow, wick, and the actual atty chamber all come into play. I get more vapor/flavor off the single coil Trident than I do my dual coil Igo-3W.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
single. I do 6 raps of 28ga on a 5/64 drill bit micro coil style. comes to .6-.7 ohms and hits hard. easy to build, easy to rewick and works.

although the .4 dual micro i built for my brothers nemesis is a nice one as well. great flavor and massive clouds. that was two 7 wrapped on the same drill bit.

I like both but tend to stay with the singles.

BeRight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2009
Ellicott City, Maryland
My favorite build is: 28 gauge/11 tight wraps/ 5/64th drill bit - heated - squeezed = 1.5 ohms and vape at 8 watts..

Works in all my toppers from pro tanks/evods to kayfuns.

I am not a sub homer, not that there is anything wrong with being a sub ohmer, so only a single coil works for me. If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread