Status
Not open for further replies.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
First off, Let me start by saying that I placed this here because I wasn't sure whether it went into the Carto Issue section, Battery Issue section, or somewhere else entirely. If any of the mods feels it belongs somewhere else, please transfer it.

I purchased the Riva 901 set from Liberty Flights to use with my KR808D-1 cartomizers. Unfortunately, they refuse to fire on practically all of the cartos I own. The cartos are hard to put on, almost impossible to take off, and as I said, will not fire. (yes, they are slotted for cartomizer use) I initially had one that worked, a carto that I had transferred from a 510 to 901/808 adapter. The rest, cartos from three different ECF listed vendors, have refused to work, and I've tested approximately 12 different ones. The batteries do however fire perfectly with the atomizers.

Has anyone else had this problem with Riva 901s? Any ideas on how to solve it, besides transferring to atomizers full time? Yes, I'm a carto addict. :laugh:

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Rolondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2010
Seattle
First off, Let me start by saying that I placed this here because I wasn't sure whether it went into the Carto Issue section, Battery Issue section, or somewhere else entirely. If any of the Mods feels it belongs somewhere else, please transfer it.

I purchased the Riva 901 set from Liberty Flights to use with my KR808D-1 cartomizers. Unfortunately, they refuse to fire on practically all of the cartos I own. The cartos are hard to put on, almost impossible to take off, and as I said, will not fire. (yes, they are slotted for cartomizer use) I initially had one that worked, a carto that I had transferred from a 510 to 901/808 adapter. The rest, cartos from three different ECF listed vendors, have refused to work, and I've tested approximately 12 different ones. The batteries do however fire perfectly with the atomizers.

Has anyone else had this problem with Riva 901s? Any ideas on how to solve it, besides transferring to atomizers full time? Yes, I'm a carto addict. :laugh:

Thanks. :)
Here's the simple answer: 901 atomizers work on KR8 batteries / KR8 cartomizers do not work on 901 batteries!!
I'm vaping the 901, standard resistance atty on a KR8 XL manual batt as I type this and it "Kicks ...." - the 901 screws down flush to the batt and doesn't allow any airflow at the connection, however the 901 atty gets air thru the small hole in the atty housing - the KR8 carto on a KR8 batt gets air thru the connection (small notches in the carto threaded end) and that air flows into the small holes (typically 3) at the base of the male threads of the KR battery - the male threads on a 901 battery post has no small air holes so when the carto is screwed onto the 901 there is no opening to draw air thru - your batts are firing, but there's no air reaching the carto - it's all about the air mixed with the vaporized juice - your stuck with the 901 attys, which isn't bad, but if you like cartos they do make 901 to 808 adaptors - sorry, don't know who carries them off hand but sure you can find out on the forum - BTW, I also love cartos and use them most of the time - Prodigy V3 @ 6v w/carto adaptor - Hope this helps

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Wow, I had forgotten I had made this thread. lol I ended up doing a different one over in the Liberty Flights sub forum and it got better attention. Thanks for posting here though. :)

The Riva 901s are advertised as accepting cartos without an adapter, and they actually do, as long as it's "certain" cartos. Kanger models work great. V4L Wow cartos also work, but not the Cools or any of the other companies' "premium" designs. (Turbo, Gold, etc.) Those models are technically the same and made by the same manufacturer. That particular design includes a shorter, more rounded center on the threaded end compared to the Kangers which emulate the 901 atty threading. They will work with a 901-808 adapter however. The one supplier I know that carries them is Good Prophets.

Hopefully this thread will help those carto users that are new to the Riva 901s and 901 threading in general though.

Rolondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2010
Seattle
Hey - thanks for answering my answer - my post was based on research on the forums, youtube and my own experience with KR8 batts and carts from V4L - as mentioned I use a V3 with carto adaptor (it will also take a 901 of course) - the adaptor threaded post has an air intake hole which leads to the center hole of the adaptor post which then feeds air to the hole in the center of the KR carto - what you are saying is Riva added air holes at the base of their battery post cause, once again, if a cartomizer is screwed down tight to a battery and air is drawn in thru those four slots at the battery end of the carto and the air can't get to the center hole of the carto then it won't work period - None of this has anything to do with threading - they are the same on both batteries/adaptors - once again, it's all about getting air to the carto - The threads are the same but possibly the ones you have that didn't work had carto threads that were a little short and the carto post wouldn't screw down far enough to make contact with the battery post - I have never owned a 901 batt/adaptor, so gonna have to email Abe and see what they did to the Riva 901 to allow airflow for KR cartos - I'll check with GoodProphets also - sometimes I wonder if some of these vendors even know for sure what they're selling.....Ahhhh, the endless search for the right product info
Wow, I had forgotten I had made this thread. lol I ended up doing a different one over in the Liberty Flights sub forum and it got better attention. Thanks for posting here though. :)

The Riva 901s are advertised as accepting cartos without an adapter, and they actually do, as long as it's "certain" cartos. Kanger models work great. V4L Wow cartos also work, but not the Cools or any of the other companies' "premium" designs. (Turbo, Gold, etc.) Those models are technically the same and made by the same manufacturer. That particular design includes a shorter, more rounded center on the threaded end compared to the Kangers which emulate the 901 atty threading. They will work with a 901-808 adapter however. The one supplier I know that carries them is Good Prophets.

Hopefully this thread will help those carto users that are new to the Riva 901s and 901 threading in general though.

intriqken

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Orange County, CA
I have had a Riva 901 for a couple of months that I absolutely love and you are right, you can't beat the price from LF.
One of the reasons I like it so much is because I can use my 808 cartos and 901 cartos and attys on it AND my KD808 mini cig unit,
There are a few cartos that don't work but definitely not all. I've just learned as I've gone on which ones do and stick with those.
My biggest problem has been finding which 808 batts work with everything I have.
Kangers....Bloog...V2 all seem to work with everything I throw at them and all of it works with my Riva.
In fact today I received an order of 808 cartos (horizonal coil) from elite vapors and just switched one from my KR808 to my Riva with no problem....but lots more vapor and flavor, :)

Last edited:

biffette

ECF Veteran
i'm having the same problem. could you please post a link to your thread at Liberty Flights, StormFinch? i'm tired of wasting my money on stuff that doesn't work.
pullhair.gif

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Here you go Biffette; http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liberty-flights/132984-anyone-else-using-cartos-riva-901-a.html

Keep in mind that this was posted when the newest cartos were Cool Carts/Gold/Premiums, just before mega cartos came out. I personally haven't touched a carto since switching to drip mode the first of the year, so I have no idea what are available nowadays. Needless to say, I would suggest ordering a few 901-808 adapters from Good Prophets. PV Adapters @ 99 cents a piece not only are they a cheap fix, but they definitely worked for me and others having the same problem.

biffette

ECF Veteran
thanks for the reply, StormFinch. i found a thread over there already. it might have been yours, or someone else's. i don't know. :laugh: (i posted as "itsme" there)

i got some adapters. they didn't work. i found some cartos that do work though, which was great... until both of my batteries died. grr. i have an email in to them now. still waiting on a reply. i've had to replace the charger & atomizers i got with my kit already. i hope they don't hold that against me. i think it might've just been a bad kit from the get go. i don't know.

i've seen a lot of bad stuff about the Riva batteries today when i was searching around. i was gonna get a couple more for backups, but now i'm not so sure...

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
London
I've been one of the ones moaning about riva901 batteries and their death rate - however, I am still off the ciggies and still loving the vape from them. Hopefully one day they'll sort out their issues (personally it mainly looks like the fixings are just not secure enough to hold the tolerances of badly cut threads forcing the connecter down until it cannot connect) - anyway until then I'll keep returning them under warrenty and sticking with the delicious vape of the 901 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread