Rebuilding the BP Mods Pioneer v1.5, Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

etNemo

• Dec 30, 2022
    Turkiye
    Hello friends,

I watched a lot of videos but no matter what I did, I couldn't use it. I wrap the wire, put on the cotton, wet it, fire it, no problem. Then I close the tank and fill the liquid from the top cover, I wait 5-10 minutes later, when I try to steam, the liquid bubbles like boiling, a plastic taste comes to my mouth, the liquid is spitting out. I'm using the default 0.8mm air pin inside, what do you think is wrong? I use Cotton Bacon Prime as cotton.

Can someone help me please?

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hello friends,

I watched a lot of videos but no matter what I did, I couldn't use it. I wrap the wire, put on the cotton, wet it, fire it, no problem. Then I close the tank and fill the liquid from the top cover, I wait 5-10 minutes later, when I try to steam, the liquid bubbles like boiling, a plastic taste comes to my mouth, the liquid is spitting out. I'm using the default 0.8mm air pin inside, what do you think is wrong? I use Cotton Bacon Prime as cotton.

Can someone help me please?
    Hola,
    A few photos of the build might help.

Also, please share the wire/coil type, ID, Ω, wraps and wattage used.

Is this your first attempt an RTA?

Which rda/RTAs have you work with previously?

cheers
    I

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Need a lot more info...

Resistance? Wire type? Mod settings?

Has all the classic symptoms of too low a build. Not shorting out when you close up the tank?

And may have a look see here, for anything you might have missed?

etNemo

• Dec 30, 2022
    Turkiye
    Hola,
    A few photos of the build might help.

Also, please share the wire/coil type, ID, Ω, wraps and wattage used.

Is this your first attempt an RTA?

Which RDA/RTAs have you work with previously?

cheers
    I

Need a lot more info...

Resistance? Wire type? Mod settings?

Has all the classic symptoms of too low a build. Not shorting out when you close up the tank?

And may have a look see here, for anything you might have missed?

Sorry guys; 26 AWG Kanthal wire, 0.83 OHM Ω, 6 wraps with 2,5ml inner diameter and 15W. Mod is Thelema Solo Quest at power mode 15W normal settings and here some photos;

quMXm8j.jpg

bTDHRIY.jpg

GMTFbTT.jpg

IDoXxb2.jpg

I hope you can help me :) Also I read the hittman's review.

etNemo

• Dec 30, 2022
    Turkiye
    Might be not enough wick... often the cause of radical popping. :nun:

I tried thicker wick make it better!

Agreed.
    Wicking is an art.

Keep at it OP!
    Don't thin the tails...much, if at all.
    How high is your coil above the air flow?
    Which chimney are you using?

Cheers
    I

I will not yiel! :) I am keep tyring. I get vape and a bit flavor BUT there is a little plastic taste I dunno why...

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    I tried thicker wick make it better!

I will not yiel! :) I am keep tyring. I get vape and a bit flavor BUT there is a little plastic taste I dunno why...
    Excellent!

Did the coil glow evenly before wicking?
    If you have an off taste:
    Confirm device is clean and free of contamination from it's production.
    Wash hands before wicking. Clean hands, clean wick.
    I use Rayon because some cottons give me an off taste, do you have any other wicking cotton you could try?

Cheers
    I

etNemo

• Dec 30, 2022
    Turkiye
    Excellent!

Did the coil glow evenly before wicking?
    If you have an off taste:
    Confirm device is clean and free of contamination from it's production.
    Wash hands before wicking. Clean hands, clean wick.
    I use Rayon because some cottons give me an off taste, do you have any other wicking cotton you could try?

Cheers
    I

Yes I tested it, it's glows evenly just the last round is a bit dimmer. Device is clean but i will check it again. I will wash my hand and maybe gonna use gloves? I don't have any other cottons rather then cotton bacon prime but I am gonna get rayon one too and what about Muji? ! Maybe it was due to wire I don't know, I am gonna play with it :)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    @etNemo for what it's worth, there are higher quality and lesser than hq kanthal wires sold around the world. Make sure the wire you are using is of the highest quality you can obtain.

Some people just cannot vape using kanthal wire. Some get a noticeable metallic taste, a chemical taste and there is one on reddit who gets what he/she described as a plastic taste from kanthal.

Dry burning your kanthal coil to a bright orange/red will burn off any and all residue.

I cannot vape using kanthal wire. It gives me an obnoxious metallic taste. I use SS316L and Ni80 wire for my builds and get no off tastes.

Also, as previously mentioned, try another cotton or rayon. I switch off between both cotton and rayon in my builds. Different cotton brands do affect flavor. I use CottonMan's Mavaton's Select and Carolina Blend cottons. For rayon I'm using Tidi medical grade large rayon balls (#969162).

With the CottonMan cotton and Tidi rayon there is near zero break-in time.

As Izan mentioned, wicking is an art. You do not want your wick to be loose fitting when you move the cotton side-to-side in the coil. On the other end of the spectrum, you do not want your wick to be too tight in the coil.

The general rule for wicking: Wick too loose in coil = flooding/leaking --and-- Wick too tight in coil = dry hits and/or muted flavor.

Ideally you want to feel some resistance, or firmness, as you move your wick side-to-side in a coil. Not too tight, as in moving the coil, and not too loose. There is a sweet spot every vaper needs to find on their own. Finding the sweet spot "is a total feel thing".

You should see some bubbles in your RTA when you vape. And you should hear a noticeable, but not loud, crackling sound as you vape.

etNemo

• Dec 30, 2022
    Turkiye
    @etNemo for what it's worth, there are higher quality and lesser than hq kanthal wires sold around the world. Make sure the wire you are using is of the highest quality you can obtain.

Some people just cannot vape using kanthal wire. Some get a noticeable metallic taste, a chemical taste and there is one on reddit who gets what he/she described as a plastic taste from kanthal.

Dry burning your kanthal coil to a bright orange/red will burn off any and all residue.

I cannot vape using kanthal wire. It gives me an obnoxious metallic taste. I use SS316L and Ni80 wire for my builds and get no off tastes.

Also, as previously mentioned, try another cotton or rayon. I switch off between both cotton and rayon in my builds. Different cotton brands do affect flavor. I use CottonMan's Mavaton's Select and Carolina Blend cottons. For rayon I'm using Tidi medical grade large rayon balls (#969162).

With the CottonMan cotton and Tidi rayon there is near zero break-in time.

As Izan mentioned, wicking is an art. You do not want your wick to be loose fitting when you move the cotton side-to-side in the coil. On the other end of the spectrum, you do not want your wick to be too tight in the coil.

The general rule for wicking: Wick too loose in coil = flooding/leaking --and-- Wick too tight in coil = dry hits and/or muted flavor.

Ideally you want to feel some resistance, or firmness, as you move your wick side-to-side in a coil. Not too tight, as in moving the coil, and not too loose. There is a sweet spot every vaper needs to find on their own. Finding the sweet spot "is a total feel thing".

You should see some bubbles in your RTA when you vape. And you should hear a noticeable, but not loud, crackling sound as you vape.

Again, thank you for your long & detailed answer again. I will try some SS316L and Ni80 wires for my atomizer. I can find them but not all cotton firms are not for sale in my country. I will try rayon cotton :)

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    An update; I am getting better and better. I bought rayon bacon and gonna try it. I got very good at wiring the coil. Thanks to you all!
    I don't know if my review of it helps you but I posted a link for you.

etNemo

• Dec 30, 2022
    Turkiye
    I don't know if my review of it helps you but I posted a link for you.

Oooh thanks but I consumed all review written on this forum, including yours!

carbonbegone

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2014
    Indy
    Dont know about the 1.5 version, but the originals were sensitive about any part of the wick touching the sides or being too close to the chimney roof - caused leaks & gurgling.
    Your photos show a dry wick, try wetting it after trimming & then tucking everything in to insure the wick isn't in contact with anything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread