RCR123A stack safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
18650 and 18350 unprotected safe chemistry batteries only.
Stacking takes a little knowledge.

I don't know the specs on your RCR123A's and you probably don't either.
They are 16340 so right off they're not the right size.

Using any old batteries because they fit in the hole and turn on might ruin the mod, or your face, or your house.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
ok thanks for the info guys! I should have probably mentioned that they're tenergy rc123a and they came with an older mod I had last year. For now i will take them out unless any viable information says otherwise. Thanks a lot! you might have just saved me from wrecking this thing.

That would've been good to mention especially when you have such a low post count and nobody knows your experience.

I don't keep up with everything (and kept up with almost nothing between '09 and '12) but I haven't heard of RCA123A being used for a long time. There must be a reason. If they're protected (like old ecig batteries were because it was the only protection) they may not even work right.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Cr123 batterys are stacked all the time in torch lights. I myself have 3 torch flashlights that run on double and tripple stacked cr123's

I have also ran stacked cr123s in my magneto with good results.

You need to make shure your coil does not draw more amps than the batterys c rating and you will be,fine , also make shure you have a atomizer with a,high enough resistance for 6v if you are useing a mech

On a vamo though you should be fine. If anything happens it will simply short out the vamo rather than over heat or short your batterys, the vamo should have built in protection

Running stacked cr123s in a mech is verry common practice in the flashlight world. you just need to charge them together and discharge them together and also,rotate there positions in the stack after charges. Watch the amp draw on your device and dont over work them and nothing wil go wrong . Cr123 batterys are the most commonly stacked battery in the world

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
allright! i'll use the rcr123as until my charger arrives in the mail. Hopefully nothing goes wrong. I'll try to vape sparingly in case the 123s put some extra strain on the vamo. once again, thanks for all the information, it's extremely useful, I wish i'd came here before I got my last vape!

I wouldn't worry about a strain on the Vamo. I would worry about a strain on the batteries.
1) Stacking unmatched batteries can send volts through a battery that can't handle it.
2) Not knowing the amp limit of the battery, a VV can easily draw more as the voltage drops and it tries to keep the watts where they are set.

If the strain on the batteries causes one of them to go that is what would damage the Vamo.

If you have matched batteries stacking could actually lessen the risk of #2 because you are always stepping the voltage down.
I was worried about stacking 18350s until I heard someone explain it. Keep the batteries matched and it's pretty safe in a VV/VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread