RBA guys, why is my orchid not wicking properly???!!!! getting irritated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numba20

Aug 26, 2014
Tennessee
okay, there maybe a number of things i am doing wrong... or it maybe be a simple trick i am just unaware of that will fix me up.

got an orchid, my first and only RBA. i have many many RDA's.

my first set up on the orchid was a 24g kanthal build. 6 wrap around a 3/32 bit. dual coil. .22 ohm i think? can't remember for sure...

i was have terrible issues with wicking. i tried cilia but mainly used cotton. there are 4 trenches in the base, one for each cotton ear on my dual coil build. i have tried different amounts of cotton in those trenches. had too much and couldn't screw down the cover. and have had so little that i lose all of my juice through the air holes, after setting it down for an hour or so. it would wick just not fast enough. i kept thinking that i needed to find the perfect amount of cotton. but after thinking about it, thought maybe my build was too hot and burned the juice too fast and the cotton can't keep up. because specifically, my problem is after 3 or 4 mediocre chain hits, i get a throat burning dry hit. i want to be able to suck the tank dry without stopping, and not get a dry hit. maybe this is not possible?

i changed my build from the above to a 26g kanthal 7 wrap around a 3/32 bit @ .41 ohm. now on my 4th or 5th hit, its too dry to enjoy. i can taste it on the 3rd hit or so, faintly. if i have to run a rinky dink 1.3 ohm coil ill just say forget it and pitch it. because i have been using 26650 mech's with 60a batteries with dual parallel 22g 6 wrap around 3/32 its about .08 .07 ohm. and it chucks like a train. so i feel like I'm breathing through a coffee straw over a campfire with this thing right now.

can some one please tell me how to achieve constant wetness on my coils? :confused:

Numba20

Aug 26, 2014
Tennessee
Thicker guage draws too much juice for it to keep up... Use 28 ga and wick like this:

Lets rewick my orchid rta - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using it on a nemesis, so I'm limited to 3.7v... so 28g just will not do it. i would need 6v to get to an adequate output level.

i haven't tried wicking that was specifically, but i have don't some very similar builds.

i noticed his coils looked very similar to mine. actually my current build is higher ohm than his. and if he isn't having any wicking issues, then i shouldn't be. so that answers my question it is possible...

but that setup seems to me that it would leak sooooo bad... have you done that wicking setup to confirm or deny?

Numba20

Aug 26, 2014
Tennessee
Why do chasers always expect Tanks to perform like Drippers?

No, you should NOT have to raise it over 1ohm. Maybe it would work better at .4-.5ohm.
Maybe you are Wick choking it.
Maybe your Liquid is a bit thick.

No pic of build does not help in figuring out your issue.

its very different from my dripper. i don't expect it to perform like my dripper, but i do expect it to wick and pull juice as per physics would suggest it should.

i do have a .41ohm currently. it does not well at all.

i must be choking it, but i have also had builds that are not choking it, they allow enough flow for all 4.5ml's to run through and down and out the air holes and cover my mod and wherever i left it sitting on in about 20 minutes...

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
I'm using it on a nemesis, so I'm limited to 3.7v... so 28g just will not do it. i would need 6v to get to an adequate output level.

i haven't tried wicking that was specifically, but i have don't some very similar builds.

i noticed his coils looked very similar to mine. actually my current build is higher ohm than his. and if he isn't having any wicking issues, then i shouldn't be. so that answers my question it is possible...

but that setup seems to me that it would leak sooooo bad... have you done that wicking setup to confirm or deny?

Mine is at 0.9 and works fine on my mech mod... No leaking with his wicking technique

Numba20

Aug 26, 2014
Tennessee
just rewicked to the same style of that in the video that was linked. and i took 15 hits back to back, and no burnt taste! whoo hoo! lol i think i maybe over packed the cotton though because my draw is about twice as tight. the key is not to put the cotton through the channel just pack it on top tight enough to keep it from all leaking in. it may take a little playing but i will get it perfect. big thank you to Heespharm! i was about to chuck my orchid into the wind and you saved it! lol

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
just rewicked to the same style of that in the video that was linked. and i took 15 hits back to back, and no burnt taste! whoo hoo! lol i think i maybe over packed the cotton though because my draw is about twice as tight. the key is not to put the cotton through the channel just pack it on top tight enough to keep it from all leaking in. it may take a little playing but i will get it perfect. big thank you to Heespharm! i was about to chuck my orchid into the wind and you saved it! lol

Big thank you goes to the guy who made that video too... He's saved quite a few orchids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Glad to hear you got it kicking!
Watched the video and it make total sense. Orchid is much like the Kayfun in the wicking Dept.
Your tight draw may be cotton is completely covering the Coil area.(drawing through cotton) I'd had this happen on a few KF builds as the chimney shifted it and I didn't notice.

Were you able to keep the .22ohm coils as hoped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread