Question for the ex long term smoker's

Status
Not open for further replies.

erazzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
New Mexico
I've been trying to get my dad to quit smoking for two years now. He wanted to quit using an e-cig. However, he just can't seem to stick with it. He has been smoking for 30+ years. He smokes almost two packs a day.

I think the problem really is that he hasn't -tried-. As soon as he wants a real smoke, he lights one up. He only uses his e-cig is places he can't smoke.

He says he wants something that taste like tobacco. I've tried buying him numerous tobacco e-liquids. The closest was one from Ahlusion, but he still says it isn't like tobacco. He keeps saying he'll quit, but then he doesn't.

He has an ego with a mini protank, he seems fine with that. He isn't very amused by my mech mods and RTAs. lol.

I'm just lost as to what to do. A lot of people say to just stop telling him to do so and let him do it on his own. It is hard to just sit and watch him smoke though, esp when my mom had lung cancer just over a year ago (luckily, she did quit smoking with an e-cig and went into remission after radiation treatment). When I switched, I had only just started to smoke again (I smoked 3 years, quit, then started smoking again for about 4 months, then to an e-cig). I didn't like tobacco flavors when I started and almost immediately went to fruit flavors. He's tried those too, doesn't have much interest in them.

So my question to you ex long term smokers, what helped you make the switch? I feel like I just can't relate to smoking 30 something years.:facepalm:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been trying to get my dad to quit smoking for two years now. He wanted to quit using an e-cig. However, he just can't seem to stick with it. He has been smoking for 30+ years. He smokes almost two packs a day.

I think the problem really is that he hasn't -tried-. As soon as he wants a real smoke, he lights one up. He only uses his e-cig is places he can't smoke.

He says he wants something that taste like tobacco. I've tried buying him numerous tobacco e-liquids. The closest was one from Ahlusion, but he still says it isn't like tobacco. He keeps saying he'll quit, but then he doesn't.

He has an ego with a mini protank, he seems fine with that. He isn't very amused by my mech mods and RTAs. lol.

I'm just lost as to what to do. A lot of people say to just stop telling him to do so and let him do it on his own. It is hard to just sit and watch him smoke though, esp when my mom had lung cancer just over a year ago (luckily, she did quit smoking with an e-cig and went into remission after radiation treatment). When I switched, I had only just started to smoke again (I smoked 3 years, quit, then started smoking again for about 4 months, then to an e-cig). I didn't like tobacco flavors when I started and almost immediately went to fruit flavors. He's tried those too, doesn't have much interest in them.

So my question to you ex long term smokers, what helped you make the switch? I feel like I just can't relate to smoking 30 something years.:facepalm:

I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years.
I started with disposable cigalikes; it was basically like changing my brand of cigarette.

Once I got used to the cigalikes it was just a matter of cost decisions....... and possible varieties of flavors, that led to upgrades.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I went to a couple vape shops and tasted all the tobacco flavors they had. None tasted like tobacco to me. Nutmeg, cloves, butterscotch, etc with perfumy traits. yech.
I did find 2 of them that work for me though.

Clayton tobacco flavor. Chinese found in gas n go's and tobacco shoppes.
Buck Naked American tobacco flavor. Made in North Carolina and I found mine in a tobacco shoppe. However you can buy it online here.
Buck Naked eCigarettes - eLiquids

Last edited:

ChiBear85

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2015
Chicago
Honestly first thing and most important you have to want to I smoked 2 pad for 30 yrs and even though I really didn't have any health issues yet I decided I wanted to quit and really that's all it took I do understand his need for a tobacco flavor cause I really like a good tobacco flavor too may I suggest you look into NET'S they taste much more like tobacco goodejuice has some good ones best of luck to your dad just remember he has to want to otherwise it's just impossible

siapaya

Jan 29, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
You are one great son.

Let the dad see and feel the power of satisfying vape gear.

For example, a small 30w box mod ( cloupor mini, istick30) , a simple subohm atty (Atlantis, KST Nano ), and a strong flavor liquid, with 6-12 mg Nic .

Once the dad see the vape it produce, and try how tasty the vape tasted, he will get in to it.

Thats the easiest part.

The hardest part are ,

maintaining the gear to keep the dad satisfied. He might not persistent enough to do the maintenance, so the son will need to take big part.

Cleans his mouthpiece / driptip. Some nasty vapor will turn into nasty tasting liquid in it.

Watch for his atomizer. Once it stinks and burnt, get it changed. Let the dad see how you change it. Let the dad knows why you changed 'em .
Prepare his spare battery / mods. So wheneever it stop working, the dad can just switch to other device. Make sure the dad see the son how to do it.

Get the dad involve on liquid purchase. Go to a vape shop. Let him smell the juice. People tend to stick to any decisions they made, but not to decisions other have made for him.

The son need to make sure the liquid can be sufficient enough for the dad, until the next buying schedule.

Once the son done this matters, and the dad still didnt like vaping, I'm sure many other suggestions from fellow vapers here will be useful.

The key is one,

Vaping taste better, smell better, and feel better, but it came with a little hassle. Remove the hassle for the dad, then there you go.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
After 30 years of smoking a pack+ per day of Camel Filters I couldn't give up smoking until I quit using tobacco flavors entirely. I thought I wanted a tobacco flavor, but those only made me want a real cigarette. Once I ditched them for mints and menthols I had stopped smoking entirely within a week without even thinking about it. In fact, I walked around with a half pack of cigarettes in my pocket for almost a month "just in case" but every time I took one out and tried to smoke it, it just tasted nasty to me and I would put it out after only 2-3 puffs.

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I smoked for over 30 years, the last ten, American Spirit Periques or non-filtered. Using NET juices from River Bottom Fog Sauce (available at Vaping Watch) in a device similar to your father's I was able to quit. I still always have at least a couple of their flavors around. I enjoy them and they keep me honest. They actually deliver on the promise that a freshly opened pack of cigarettes never could...they taste like good tobacco smells.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You can't (probably) find a vape that's just like a cigarette.
What you want is a vape that you ENJOY.
That's what happened for me - then I vaped more and more and smoked less, and after a couple weeks, surprise - a cig tasted NASTY, and I just stopped. I wasn't even trying...

I know it's not easy like that for most folks, but I think the APPROACH makes sense.

Also, what strength nic are you using? I started with something like an ego/mini-protank, and initially used 24mg liquid...

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
You are one great son.

Let the dad see and feel the power of satisfying vape gear.

For example, a small 30w box mod ( cloupor mini, istick30) , a simple subohm atty (Atlantis, KST Nano ), and a strong flavor liquid, with 6-12 mg Nic .

Once the dad see the vape it produce, and try how tasty the vape tasted, he will get in to it.

Thats the easiest part.

The hardest part are ,

maintaining the gear to keep the dad satisfied. He might not persistent enough to do the maintenance, so the son will need to take big part.

Cleans his mouthpiece / driptip. Some nasty vapor will turn into nasty tasting liquid in it.

Watch for his atomizer. Once it stinks and burnt, get it changed. Let the dad see how you change it. Let the dad knows why you changed 'em .
Prepare his spare battery / mods. So wheneever it stop working, the dad can just switch to other device. Make sure the dad see the son how to do it.

Get the dad involve on liquid purchase. Go to a vape shop. Let him smell the juice. People tend to stick to any decisions they made, but not to decisions other have made for him.

The son need to make sure the liquid can be sufficient enough for the dad, until the next buying schedule.

Once the son done this matters, and the dad still didnt like vaping, I'm sure many other suggestions from fellow vapers here will be useful.

The key is one,

Vaping taste better, smell better, and feel better, but it came with a little hassle. Remove the hassle for the dad, then there you go.

Most older long time smokers do not want to start out with a big "thing" to vape on. A 650 ma ego style and a clearo on tio would be the most that most older guys want to carry around for vaping for a while. Many like the little cigalikes, what I started on. Something compact to fit in pocket and a couple of extra batteries. A esmart starter kit maybe? I am using esmarts on ego style batteries as I type. Not a bad vape at all and small on a 650 ma ego style batt.

You can get the esmart clearos for as little as $1.49 each. But 20 or so for less than the cost of a carton of cheap cigs. Toss them when they go bad. Last for at least a week or so with no cleaning. 2 months or more with cleaning. If he gets into it he will start cleaning or get a changeable coil clearo. Which esmarts now come with changable bottom coils. cost more at $3.99, but still small discrete and cheap.

something small and like a cig can be important for those just converting.

Last edited:

erazzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
New Mexico
You guys have some good advice.

I pretty much already take care of all his gear. I keep his tanks clean, change the coils, make sure his batteries are charged. He doesn't want to fiddle with it and I don't blame him. I tried to get him to try better devices but he isn't that interested. Who knows, I might grab one of those ISticks and make him try it. If he doesn't like it, I have a new IStick lol.

My mom thought she would only want menthol flavors when she started because she was a menthol smoker. What actually got her off the cigarettes was coffee flavors. She vaped nothing but that for about a day and a half, tried to smoke a cigarette, and couldn't stand the taste of cigarettes anymore. She never went back to smoknig after that and she smoked for 20+ years.

Maybe I'll see if he can try some more flavors again. Make it interesting somehow. I've been really interested in getting him to try NETs as that might have what is missing in the regular liquids.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Its very important to buy the proper nicotine strength, perhaps 28 mg or 30+ mg's

28 mg is quite strong in a good device, but two PAD is a lot of nicotine and chemicals to subside the urge to smoke, perhaps he may need 32 - 36 mg.

Vaping 28 mg, I quit the same day I began vaping, after smoking 40 years, one PAD. I started with a tobacco flavor than switched within a couple weeks to different flavors, and gradually decreased the strength to between 6-12 mg nicotine, depending on the device being used.

It basically boils down (as others already noted), one needs to want to quit, have a good device, and proper strength nicotine, with a back-up device in the event the first device ends up not working for whatever reason.

Good luck, I hope you are able to help him......:)

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I smoked 2 to 2-1/2 PAD for about 35 years. My wife wanted me to try e-cigs because she knows a co-worker who quit by switching to them. Honestly, I will tell you that I humored her for a while, saying I would give it a try. This went on for maybe six months or more, until I decided to check it out. I went to the websites and did some reading that he e-mailed to me, and kept those e-mails and links. But until I had reached that point where I knew I had to at least try, I always felt agitated and angry when the subject came up. And to be honest, this agitation would only make me smoke more. A gentle reminder from time to time will stick in the back of his mind if he is anything like I was. Leading a horse to water is the best you can hope to do, the drinking of that water, well, that is upon the horse. Good luck to both of you, and never give up hope!

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
You guys have some good advice.

I pretty much already take care of all his gear. I keep his tanks clean, change the coils, make sure his batteries are charged. He doesn't want to fiddle with it and I don't blame him. I tried to get him to try better devices but he isn't that interested. Who knows, I might grab one of those ISticks and make him try it. If he doesn't like it, I have a new IStick lol.

My mom thought she would only want menthol flavors when she started because she was a menthol smoker. What actually got her off the cigarettes was coffee flavors. She vaped nothing but that for about a day and a half, tried to smoke a cigarette, and couldn't stand the taste of cigarettes anymore. She never went back to smoknig after that and she smoked for 20+ years.

Maybe I'll see if he can try some more flavors again. Make it interesting somehow. I've been really interested in getting him to try NETs as that might have what is missing in the regular liquids.
Sex is the key get some of your girlfriends to tell him his vapor smells really good and be all flirty when he vapes something other than tobacco flavors before yo know it hell be vaping cherry cheese cake and peach excursively ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread