Ohms reader for factory tank coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I took out my TFV8 Cloud Beast T8 coil with supposedly is .15 ohms to put in the RBA section. Just now a week later I put that same coil back in the tank (coil was barely used). I decided to put the tank on my ohms reader and it read .20 which leads me to ask. Does one need to use an ohm reader for factory made tank coils to be extra safe (I'm not referring to any rebuildable type coils etc)?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
if I understand this correctly.... you removed a premade coil and put it into a RDA? if so, the increase of ohms is most likely due to added resistance from a "looser than normal" connection at the point of contact with the binding screws. Try tightening up the screws a tad and recheck the resistance... and checking the ohms on any build is a good thing, even if it is a factory made coil. :)

Reactions: Eskie

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
if I understand this correctly.... you removed a premade coil and put it into a RDA? if so, the increase of ohms is most likely due to added resistance from a "looser than normal" connection at the point of contact with the binding screws. Try tightening up the screws a tad and recheck the resistance... and checking the ohms on any build is a good thing, even if it is a factory made coil. :)

What @Bunnykiller said, check your grub screws. They likely got a little bit loose.

If I'm reading his post right, he put a .15 ohm factory coil assembly in his tank. After a short while, he took that factory coil assembly out the tank and put in the RBA assembly. The original .15 ohm coil was not used for a week, while he was using the RBA section. After a week, he took out the RBA assembly out and put the .15 ohm factory coil back in the tank. Now, when he put the tank on the ohm reader it's showing .20 ohms.

I don't have any experience with sub-ohm coils, but with higher resistance factory coils, it's not unusual for the resistance to vary a little from what the manufacturer calls it. I wouldn't be suprised to see a "1.6 ohm" coil actually read 1.7 ohms.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
If I'm reading his post right, he put a .15 ohm factory coil assembly in his tank. After a short while, he took that factory coil assembly out the tank and put in the RBA assembly. The original .15 ohm coil was not used for a week, while he was using the RBA section. After a week, he took out the RBA assembly out and put the .15 ohm factory coil back in the tank. Now, when he put the tank on the ohm reader it's showing .20 ohms.

I don't have any experience with sub-ohm coils, but with higher resistance factory coils, it's not unusual for the resistance to vary a little from what the manufacturer calls it. I wouldn't be suprised to see a "1.6 ohm" coil actually read 1.7 ohms.
@WorksForMe yes that's what I meant.

Reactions: WorksForMe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread