My TFA's Choice List

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Just a quick update to say the "choice list" was resampled and remains valid/accurate as of May 9, 2014. "Untested" flavors were also resampled and, while TFA may have indeed tested, ingredients/components are not posted online.

This is the second periodic rechecking of this list. I will try to recheck on a regular basis and then post so ECF'ers will know when last verified. Again, please let me know of any changes or corrections. Cheers!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Some of the new flavors:

Nectarine - acetoin
Bananas Foster - custard note (acetoin)
Pralines and Cream - Acetylpropionyl (Will soon be replaced with Acetoin (not a Diketone))
Red Velvet Cake - custard' ingredients: Acetoin (not a Diketone) & Acetylpropionyl.
Horchata Smooth - Triacetin.

Don't know about this one:
VANILLA BEAN GELATO - no Acetoin, Acetyl Propionyl, or of course, Diacetyl. Instead it uses a lesser known custard note called Butyric Acid.

I am not familiar with Butyric Acid, anyone????

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
All I see for this one is:
Creme de Menthe Flavor
Water soluble.

A fresh, minty and cool taste.

Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavor, Propylene Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol

No mention of essential oil? Can somebody help?

Yes, contains >=10% Peppermint Essential Oil, see this TFA link for details.

Sorry, short on time to recheck those previously untested and add new TFA flavors. However, those in the choice list remain accurate.

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
Some of the new flavors:

Nectarine - acetoin
Bananas Foster - custard note (acetoin)
Pralines and Cream - Acetylpropionyl (Will soon be replaced with Acetoin (not a Diketone))
Red Velvet Cake - custard' ingredients: Acetoin (not a Diketone) & Acetylpropionyl.
Horchata Smooth - Triacetin.

Don't know about this one:
VANILLA BEAN GELATO - no Acetoin, Acetyl Propionyl, or of course, Diacetyl. Instead it uses a lesser known custard note called Butyric Acid.

I am not familiar with Butyric Acid, anyone????

Butyric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the section titled "Safety" -- The EPA regulates Butyric Acid as a "toxic substance". -- "Inhalation of butyric acid may result in soreness of throat, coughing, a burning sensation and laboured breathing. Ingestion of the acid may result in abdominal pain, shock, and collapse. Physical exposure to the acid may result in pain, blistering and skin burns, while exposure to the eyes may result in pain, severe deep burns and loss of vision." (Amounts of exposure to experience these symptoms is not specified, although, by the sound of it, it's most likely a large amount.)

From a quick read it would appear on the surface that Butyric Acid is just as harmful when inhaled as Diacetyl/Acetyl Propionyl and other Diketones, however, without actual studies with the scope of "inhalation on a regular basis", it's hard to say if it could cause permanent damage like the Diketones can..

EDIT - TFA has done a great job in listing what ingredients are in their flavors, including Butyric Acid. They group these ingredients together and call them "Custard Notes". More can be found here --> http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/flavorsworkshop/custard.html

Transparency moving forward is going to be key. Juice companies may initially not have the capital to test every juice they make, however, they can work with their flavor vendors to provide and/or get lab reports. This is responsible business. As consumers, we have the right to be informed so that we can make decisions based on that information.

While it's my choice to vape a juice containing these ingredients, that's a choice made by me and for me. No way in hell should a juice company make that choice for me. If they don't test their juices, and they don't include disclaimers stating that fact, then that's exactly what they're doing, and that IS wrong.

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Following flavors contain Butyric Acid and included quantity:

Flavor Quantity
Acai < .5%
Coffee (Kona) >= 1% and < 10%
Cranberry Flavor** >= 1% and < 10%
DK Tobacco Base Flavor >= 1% and < 10%
Dragonfruit Flavor < .5%
Dulce de Leche < 1%
English Toffee < 1%
Hazelnut >= 1% and < 10%
Kiwi (Double) Flavor >= 1% and < 10%
Nectarine < 1%
Orange Mandarin < .5%
Peach < .5%
Pear Flavor >= 1% and < 10%
Pralines and Cream < .5%
Strawberries and Cream Flavor < 1%
Strawberries and Cream Flavor < .5%
Sweet Cream >= 1% and < 10%

Note: TFA flavors added since the original choice list were NOT screened in the above list. Use this as a "strike list" against the original choice list if you wish to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread