My Indulgence Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
I started vaping back in May of last year with a automatic 401 but with it's limited juice capacity and the nuisance of auto batteries I switched to the manual 510. I love my 510 but as many of you know they have poor battery life. I was going through 8 to 10 batteries a day until I got my passthrough. The passthrough was great but now I was tethered to my computer and it did not fix the problem of weak batteries when I'm on the go.

I started looking at the big battery mods and had settled on buying the Silver Bullet for it's use of the 18650 batteries and it's looks. At a $100 and I still had to buy batteries, charger and atty's it was a very pricey option so I held off. I'm so glad I did because along came the Indulgence a mod that offered so much more for a great price. With the ability to run 5 different atty's sold me with that feature alone. Then having it come with batteries, charger and a atty it was even better of a deal that I could not wait to buy.

I ordered one of the first run units on the day they became available and I could not wait to get it. Unfortunately some problems were discovered in the first run units that have been fixed in the current version. That made me worry I would have to return it for a replacement but that was not the case. Before I had even received my Indulgence David had already sent me a replacement and I did not have to return the first order. My first run Indulgence arrived and to my luck it was near perfect. I only had one little problem on the 801 adapter, the chrome flaked off and the threads were a little ruff but it did not prevent it from working.

My replacement arrived and I was exited to see what the changes were. The battery cup was longer and now had a spring which allowed it sit flush with the switch part. The first run cup is shorter and no spring plus it did not seat completely there is a gap about the width of hair but it still works. To my surprise the package also included a replacement 18650 cup. The 18650 cup I received in my first order had the spring so it did not need a replacement. Not knowing the state of my first order I'm sure David did not want to chance anything, so thank you David for the spare cup.

OK I've babbled on long enough lets get down to the review.

The Battery Cups:

The 18350 cup included in the kit is well machined with no blemishes in the finish and the threads are clean with no burs. It's finished off with the word Indulgence nicely engraved on it. Now I'm not a fan of branding but in this case it was well done. When it's in your hand unless your right close to it you really can't see the engraving. I'm glad David opted to have 3 vent holes placed in the bottom of the cup unlike many of the other large battery mods that don't have vent holes. I never gave the vent holes much thought until I realized if a battery failed it can turn a innocent ecig into a pipe bomb, thank you David for designing safety into the product.

The 18650 extended cup is done to the same quality and finish as the 18350 cup. The 18650 cup does not have the engraving on it but it would be OK if it did. It also includes the 3 vent holes on the bottom and a spring.

Switch Unit:

The switch unit is designed with no wires or solder so nothing to come disconnected or cause electrical resistance. The switch is solid with a good click sound and feel. The button needs a bit of work though, the finish has worn off exposing the copper electroplating base. The finish is excellent but it has one problem around the button it's little rough it needs more polishing before electroplating. The treads are clean with no burs on both the top and bottom.

Adapter Caps:

The Indulgence comes with 4 adapters that allow you to run 5 models of atomizers 401,510,801,901,DVP9. This feature was the biggest selling point for me because I wanted to try other atty's but I did not want to buy all those other batteries. The finish is excellent compared to the first run caps no chipping or flaking of the chrome. I did have one problem with the 801 adapter the atty will not screw all the way down not allowing connection. I'm not concerned I don't like the 801 anyway and I have a working one from the first run unit. I do have one gripe with the adapters and thats cleaning them there is not much space between the threads and the cap. I'm using a old waterpik to flush out any juice and dirt that may get in there.

Batteries & Charger:

The charger included in the kit does it's job but it does requirer a little finessing to get the batteries to sit just right to charge. This is because the 18350 batteries have a low profile button on the positive end instead of raised button and the contact on the charger is a bit recessed.The charger is able to charge the 18350 and the 18650 or any 3.7v batteries that will fit.

The batteries that are included are protected cells that makes them safe to use with no worries of over charging or over discharging. I bought some unprotected 18350 cells and you can see the the height difference without the PCB. They work but they sit almost flush with the rim but I can't use them on the first run cup not without adding a spring.

Final Thoughts:

I have been very happy with my Indulgence even with the rocky launch it was well worth the wait. I love it so much I have not even touched my old 510 batteries. I will be ordering the titanium version when it becomes available. If your undecided to buy one don't be you'll be very happy and so will your wallet.

Pros::thumbs:
- Multiple battery support
- Long battery life
- Multiple atomizer support
- Excellent bang for your buck
- Solid construction
- No wires or solder used

Cons::nah:
- 801 Adapter needs work
- Adapters hard to clean
- Switch button needs better electroplating
- Ring around button needs more polishing

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
Thank you for a brilliant review TB,

like all of us, the dissapointment of the lil problems of the original launch is very soon overcome when the updated version reaches us.

I think you covered everything very well, and explained it all very well

the fact that you included such detailed fotos,made it easy to understand, and see what you were talking about.

thanks for this,

a very nice review, and a well worth the space article for the forum.

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
Thank you for a brilliant review TB,

like all of us, the dissapointment of the lil problems of the original launch is very soon overcome when the updated version reaches us.

I think you covered everything very well, and explained it all very well

the fact that you included such detailed fotos,made it easy to understand, and see what you were talking about.

thanks for this,

a very nice review, and a well worth the space article for the forum.

Your welcome Di

It's not hard to write about something I love but I have to admit it took awhile to write, English was my worst subject in school :confused:

If anyone has a ? or would like to see other photos just ask

Last edited:

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
i say what a nice job ...does it compete with the sb in vapor production and battery life and ease of use as far as button use. and its not real heavy like the us made bullet thank you lawnman3

I did not write about vapor because vapor production is so dependent on what juice and atty your using. I can only compare vapor production to that of a 510 with a regular battery. It does produce more vapor then a regular 510. I think thats because of the larger battery being able to keep the voltage at 3.7v or higher for longer. Also not having any wires or solder that will cause resistance which allows more volts to the atty. I would think battery life would be about the same as SB I can't say for certain because I don't own a SB. The weights with a 510 atty the 18350 battery 69g and the 18650 battery is 98g. Personally I prefer to use the 18350 for it's size and weight but if I'm going on a long road trip I'll use the 18650. Using both 18350 batteries will last me the whole day and the 18650 will last me 2 days. The button is solid and I think it will last a very long time, again I can't compare it to the SB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread