My 2nd Mod... a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on my 2nd mod, which is going to be quite small but will have great battery life.

I'm running into a slight problem though from the experience with my first mod, and I know it's likely due to an improper configuration; but the problem I'm having is when I plug the charger in, the atty gets activated as well...

Here's a diagram of my mod wiring, and I haven't done any serious electronic stuff in years so I know I'm probably doing something wrong:
mini_mod.jpg

Now.. I should probably note that everything I'm using has been taken out of a working 510 battery housing, and I have confirmed that all components work.

That being said, as you know, with normal battery setups, you remove the atty and attach the battery directly to the charger. What I want to do is be able to charge on the fly without having to use a 'master switch'.

In the event there are any questions regarding components, here's what everything is:

battery - 3.7v nokia battery
battery protect - the protection chip taken off of battery
led - led board taken from battery
charger terminal - standard cellphone charging jack
control board - atty switch, voltage regulator, charger stuff (I think all of that's on there)
atty - not an actual atty, just the connector

Anyhow, I'm sure my schematic is wrong, and I really want to make sure this is as safe as possible, so it's important for me to have the voltage checking while charging for auto shutoff when the battery is full; so any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I forgot to note that all of the wiring except for the charger terminal is how it was when I disassembled it

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
First off where is your fire switch?

the problem I'm having is when I plug the charger in,
When you say 'charger' are you talking about the dumb power supply that only provides power to the phone's in-built charging circuit?

everything I'm using has been taken out of a working 510 battery housing,
What 'components' are you using from a 510 battery? I can't imagine using anything from a 510 batt, except the connector, that would be of any use.

And your added "protection chip taken off of battery", may be of no use. You should do some Googling on the battery you are using, it probably has some sort of PCB, you need to find out what it is. A protection circuit or maybe a charging circuit?

First off where is your fire switch?
attached to the control board.

When you say 'charger' are you talking about the dumb power supply that only provides power to the phone's in-built charging circuit?
It's actually just a 2 prong chargin jack that I pulled off a universal charger. I was thinking of using a usb charger for charging and a passthrough.

What 'components' are you using from a 510 battery? I can't imagine using anything from a 510 batt, except the connector, that would be of any use.
I was a bit mistaken.. the components I'm using are from an (imitation) eGo. Basically, the diagram above is exactly how it was wired when I pulled it out of the battery housing. The only thing I can't really figure out is where to hook up the charging terminal.

And your added "protection chip taken off of battery", may be of no use. You should do some Googling on the battery you are using, it probably has some sort of PCB, you need to find out what it is. A protection circuit or maybe a charging circuit?[/QUOTE]
Here's the battery I'm using.. but I haven't been able to find any more detailed info than that. I should also note that the 2 I have say 1020 mAh as opposed to 850 from the link.

My apologies for the incorrect/incomplete info I gave. I had a lot going on when I posted the original topic so didn't really focus on everything I was writing.

Ok, so I took the wrappings off of one of the batteries and they are indeed protected, so I can remove that part from my setup.. which should make the whole thing easier.

Now, if I understand this correctly.. the protection chip on the battery will keep it from being overcharged/damaged right?

P3ST1L3NC3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Bagram, Afghanistan
the protection that is built into the battery should prevent if from exploding if used improperly, at least that is what i understand.

put your momentary switch inline with the battery's positive terminal, and the atty connector's positive terminal, run your atty connector's negative directly to the battery's negative, and hook your charging leads directly to the positive and negative of the battery. in my mind that should work. but i could be wrong......who knows.

whatever it is you decide to do, check with others to be sure that you aren't doing something dangerous.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
the components I'm using are from an (imitation) eGo.
OK, I guess you are using the 'nose piece' assembly with it's connector, LED and switch. Should work, on the German forums there are many mods using the eGo nose piece. The only concern I'd have is long term reliability. These are basically disposable devices with a relatively limited life. You are starting with a used one. Many of these 'big batts' fail due to the electronics, not the battery itself.

Now, if I understand this correctly.. the protection chip on the battery will keep it from being overcharged/damaged right?
Yes it should, but it's there as fail safe device, it's not meant to be used to terminate the charging phase. That's a dedicated charging circuit's job that's pumping 4.2V into the cell (certainly not 5V).

A charging circuit is relatively complex, usually using a rather sophisticated IC to control the volts, current and cutoff point.

1926.jpg

OK, I guess you are using the 'nose piece' assembly with it's connector, LED and switch. Should work, on the German forums there are many mods using the eGo nose piece. The only concern I'd have is long term reliability. These are basically disposable devices with a relatively limited life. You are starting with a used one. Many of these 'big batts' fail due to the electronics, not the battery itself.[\quote]
Yeah, so I ended up getting it together and functioning, but ended up frying the protection chip on the battery I was using (more on that below)...

Yes it should, but it's there as fail safe device, it's not meant to be used to terminate the charging phase. That's a dedicated charging circuit's job that's pumping 4.2V into the cell (certainly not 5V).

A charging circuit is relatively complex, usually using a rather sophisticated IC to control the volts, current and cutoff point.

1926.jpg

Yeah, I figured out that I was having the wrong expectations from the charging jack and such. For some reason I was thinking the charging would be done through the chip/led configuration but then realized later that it's not. So what I did instead was attach the charging lead to an actual usb charger...

But, for some reason when I plugged it in to charge, the LED on the charger didn't turn red like it was supposed to.. it was more of an amber/yellowish color, which indicated I was doing something wrong..

So then I pulled it all apart and ended up shorting something out by the time I rewired it, and subsequently fried the protection chip on the battery ><

I guess I was destined to fail from the start because first and foremost, I had to actually... rearrange... the battery - basically had to pull it out of the plastic housing then had to mount it on the side of the battery.. which all worked fine and well in reality. The reason for this was because the battery was too tall, and made it impossible to seat my atty connector properly.

All in all, I should have stopped working on it when it got dark instead of trying to use my monitor as a light in order to finish it. Lesson learned lol. I did learn/realize quite a few things and misunderstandings I had, so at least it was completely in vain. When my parts arrive for the genesis atty, I'll have another go at it ><

Thanks everyone for all the info and help on the topic.. at the end of the day I should have done my homework.. but sometimes I have to learn the hard way...

So I am a complete ........

I picked up a new battery for this mod, went with a Li-Polymer one instead as it's much smaller. Completely simplified the design, got it all working, then...

I boiled the only atty I have for the connector I'm using, cleaned it all up, assembled the whole thing to test...

And filled the atty with super glue instead of e-juice!

I am such an idiot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread