Kayfun V4 air hole leak diagnostics and fix. My experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kayfun is authentic. At least it should be. The seal on the box was broken when it arrived. I purchased it from intaste. Here is my experience with the air hole leaking issue a good number of us are fighting.

After disassembling the build deck and removing the deck from the base, I inspected the inside surface where the air holes are drilled and where the #16 o-ring rides along the wall above the holes.

I found a thin vertical machining mark directly above one of the air holes. This mark was deep enough to be felt with a fingernail but thin enough that it was not easy to see unless the lighting was just right. I almost missed it.

Inspection of the o-ring itself found no noticeable damage and everything seemed to be in its correct place.

My first step was to rid myself of this machining mark. A strip of very fine sand paper over a pencil eraser followed by a dose of Mothers Mag Polish did the trick. This took a good while. The mark was fairly deep and I took it slow. I checked the depth of the mark using the end of a sharpened pencil and only removed material until the tip of said pencil no longer caught on the mark. It is still visible.

Next, I removed the #16 o-ring and wrapped a bit of dental floss in the groove where the ring sits. It took about 5 wraps to get the desired result. Replace the o-ring and mount the deck back into the base to check the fit. I now feel a healthy amount of resistance when the juice flow control is turned and the resistance does not change as I am turning like it did before.

It has been two days of carrying this thing all day at work and I have had no more leaking issues.

I hope someone may be able to use this to fix their own leaker. I wonder if any of you have the same kind of mark?

At $50 this would not have been a issue for me. But at $180, I think it could have been better. I knew instantly that a mark crossing a seal point was no good. Even without the mark, I could tell by feel that the tolerances between the o-ring and the wall were too loose.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Svoemesto will take it back, but you have to pay shipping to Germany. This is the third one just recently that had problems reported here.

What's going on with SM? :(

Stuff happens!

But if we keep the base connector section clean of build up - no juice - no leakage. When the AFC bolt is unscrewed out (over 50% of its length) for wider airflow ~ anatomized juice (from the coil) could trickle down into the base connector cup. It's meant for that. Thus, inspecting that section while rewicking and dab it clean (if needed) is a routine task for most of us. This was also the case with K'fun 3.1ES.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Stuff happens!

But if we keep the base connector section clean of build up - no juice - no leakage. When the AFC bolt is unscrewed out (over 50% of its length) for wider airflow ~ anatomized juice (from the coil) could trickle down into the base connector cup. It's meant for that. Thus, inspecting that section while rewicking and dab it clean (if needed) is a routine task for most of us. This was also the case with K'fun 3.1ES.

Sure, that sounds expected :). I guess I don't have my afc screws open that much. I haven't had leaking (clones).

Stuff happens, I agree. Hope they get a grasp though on the machining snafus. SM has always been highly regarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread