Kayfun/Russian wick setup that works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys using mechanical mods or vv/vw?
edit: I currently have it on a mech mod and am wondering maybe this is the reason I'm not getting same results as everyone else. Its clear to me that even with Trumans build, that my wicks cannot wick fast enough. In his latest post I was kinda shocked to see how much cotton there was. If I ever use that much cotton it will be no time before I get dry/burnt hits. The only time I get even the slightest positive results is when I use like 1/4th of the cotton everyone else around here seems to be using. Even though my ohms is constant @ 1.1, maybe there are some other factors involved like voltage or wattage :ohmy:. Yea I know I said I was going to sell this but Im waiting to borrow a better camera so until then, I guess Ill keep trying. I think I need to go super high ohms, at least much more than Im used to.
edit #2: Oh nvm, some people got mechs...(sighh I was hoping that was the reason)

Nemesis and evic for me. I rarely use the eVic since I got my Nemesis though.

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
Did the new method since I made a new coil

a2epaqe3.jpg

yha7esu4.jpg

evana8eg.jpg

Kinda had trouble putting the chimney part on since I over estimated the cotton width but when I did put it on, I secured it with my mini flat head. Breaking in ATM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
Yup it does. From what I got so far its great just like method 2. Ima give it a day before I decide this is my go to method cause my sinus got congested (cold weather) half way through my vape session which kinda muted my flavor. It gives great vapor production though.

next refill im gonna raise the coil just a tad bit for a peace of mind that im getting 100% available airflow.

Last edited:

thirtyfour41

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
How do you guys get the wick to look so fluffy and not twisted at both ends? I wrap my microcoils around a 1/16th drill bit, and I have to use so little cotton to get it threaded that I even think it doesn't look like enough. Everybody's wicks look fluffy, and mine just looks like a rolled up, compressed piece of cotton. Should I be using a larger drill bit to wrap my coils to get larger wicks?

Lol I was close to getting a evic but I ended up pulling the trigger on a provari instead. Best decision ever. To bad I'm using a mech atm lol

Meh. The eVic works well enough for what it is and what I paid for it. After getting my first mech I can't really see myself going back to regulated.

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
How do you guys get the wick to look so fluffy and not twisted at both ends? I wrap my microcoils around a 1/16th drill bit, and I have to use so little cotton to get it threaded that I even think it doesn't look like enough. Everybody's wicks look fluffy, and mine just looks like a rolled up, compressed piece of cotton. Should I be using a larger drill bit to wrap my coils to get larger wicks?

Wet it and it will expand

CheetahAce

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego
I've tried the vertical build, the throat hit was not nearly what I get with my wick-over method, and the vertical didn't produce nearly as much vapor either. I believe this has to do with the coil/wick being directly in the air flow path vs passing thru an open coil.

I've changed the top wick method slightly, instead of looping one of the wick tail back up and over the coil, now I use a single wick with the tails resting on their respective decks, then I take a separate flat piece of cotton and just lay it over the top of the coil.

Here's the first part of the build, it'll look like this on both sides. Once done use the flat piece of cotton just slightly less wide than the inside of the screw heads, wet the cotton and lay it across the top of the coil and tuck the ends into the loops on the deck, gently install the chimney tube then adjust the top wick as necessary, when you screw down the chimney tube it'll snug the over wick down across the coil, done properly it will not move.
59467d2e-2a71-482a-808f-c67961c99089.jpg

But like I always say, stick with what works for you, having said that...I challenge you to try my method.

Nice. You've finally used a modification I came up with first haha. Yes!!

Cadaveris

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
GA, USA
I just got my R91 (clone) in today and I followed the OPs design and TruWick (possibly CheetWick lol). But I get a really harsh, almost burning thoat hit off of them. The coil is around 1-1.5mm off the airflow hole. I'm listening to OP going against the 'less is more' cotton idea, but its not bunching up or anything.. Any suggestions for me?

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
I just got my R91 (clone) in today and I followed the OPs design and TruWick (possibly CheetWick lol). But I get a really harsh, almost burning thoat hit off of them. The coil is around 1-1.5mm off the airflow hole. I'm listening to OP going against the 'less is more' cotton idea, but its not bunching up or anything.. Any suggestions for me?

Bummer man. What resistance did you wrap your coil at?
What kind of juice are you using?
PG/VG ratio?

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
I'd get your coil closer to the 1.5mm diameter, and move it up another mm off the air inlet, make sure the wick that's placed thru the coil has very light drag when you gently slide it back and forth, if to snug it'll get choked off after swelling when fully saturated, and finally... make sure the over-wick isn't to long and blocking the juice channels when the chimney tube is screwed in place, the chimney pinches it down, so trim the top wick a little shorter. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread