Is "Firing Pin" a Misnomer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter T

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga CA
When my Mini arrived, the first thing I did after unpacking it was look at the instruction pictures, which do have way too much grain, and then carefully read them. Then while reading the instructions line by line, assembled each component. The phrase "Firing Pin" really thru me for a loop. I expected to see a round cone shaped steel part that tapered to a point or something similar like the firing pin on the hammer of a revolver. Couldn't find it. I thought maybe the design changed and the picture wasn't updated. I then decided to investigate it and find out how the firing mechanism actually worked.

The top button on the Mini pushes down a round flat ended plastic piece, which then pushes down on a flat thin strip of what is most likely spring steel. The strip deflects down enough so that its (visible) end touches the positive end of the battery and the other (hidden) end of the strip is somehow connected to the positive side of the native connector, which connects to the positive side of the atty.

So, Noalox does NOT go between the round plastic piece and the strip, which is impossible to see and get to. It goes on the end of the strip that touches the battery.

I believe someone with limited technical knowledge of how things work would easily get confused by the phrase "Firing Pin" and may not put the Noalox where it belongs or may not put it on at all. If anyone agrees with this, then I leave it up to you to come up with a different name or it should be well explained what it does "It touches the top of battery" when explaining where to apply Noalox.

Keep in mind that we're not dealing with munitions that go boom or bang, nor do we want to give any impression that implies an explosion.

Ted

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
The term could be as simple as "contact point." It is described on other threads as to where to apply the Noalox. Some have asked questions and it has always been explained. I think most people look for a "firing pin" and accept that the point of contact is where to put the Noalox.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Nice point, Ted! :) I think it was a common term in use during the development of many of the mods you see today....but I really don't know that to be a fact. Anyway, I can see how that can be confusing. I will address this with Rob. I wrote the document a long time ago in order to help a new person set themselves up...and agree that can be confusing.
:)

mkp

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
Central Florida
Ah! That's perfect, thanks!

I suppose I should have just hit the REO forum straight off, but I just searched for 'noalox' instead.

You're welcome.

Speaking of Noalox, I was in Lowe's searching fruitlessly for it and got help from a sweet older guy for whom the word "noalox" meant nothing. Had I said right away that "it's the stuff used to keep aluminum from oxidizing" he might've tumbled to what I wanted right away, but it took awhile to get there because I didn't know that. Anyway, he persevered and found it in two sizes (huge bottle and small tube) on a bottom shelf (electric parts or plumbing, don't recall which).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread