I have some questions about DIY liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

frnkj74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Seagoville, Tx.
I am very much interested in making my own juice, but I'm a little stumped. First I thought nic juice came by itself but I found out it comes with pg or vg or a mix of both. So that's what kinda stumped me, the mix I usually order from vendors was 50% pg/ 50% vg. But I recently started ordering it in a 20% pg/ 80% vg which I enjoy better, but I'm not really sure what to order my nic in...with pg or vg to be able to get the 20/80 mix that I prefer. I like 18 mg strength but I'm also ok with 24 mg as well. What strength do I order my nic in...24 or 36 mgs, so I can cut it down to my prefered level of either 18 or 24 mg? I use 3 ml bottles they're easier to carry around. If it's vg that I have to get my nic in, will the nic thin out the vg so it can be easier to use or would I still have to thin it out by some means & if thining it out is required will it weaken the nic strength to where I won't be able to get my desired nic level? What flavoring is better...perfumer's apprentice or flavour art? Thank you so very much to anyone & everyone who can help point me in the right direction...& as always KEEP ON VAPIN' ON ECF :vapor:

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
I would order your nic juice in all VG and get maybe 48 or 60mg. The higher the nic concentration you get, the more of other ingredients you can fit into a bottle. Just be careful when mixing with higher concentrations. I get mine from myfreedomsmokes and you can get a different mix or VG or PG:

UnFlavored Smoke Juice (Nic. Juice) - MFS Inc.

I use scubabatdan's mixing calculator and he has a VG calc. on there. It's really easy, just put the strength of your nic juice, put in 20% for the PG section, and to thin it out you can put in a percentage of water/pure grain alcohol. I do maybe 5% PGA on VG mixes to thin them out, but it's up to you how thin you want it. Then of course, your percentage of flavoring and what size bottle you're using and it will tell you how many drops or mls to add of each ingredient in the bottle.

As far as flavorings, that's subjective. I enjoy a couple from Perfumer's Apprentice and some from Flavourart. Capella's also has good dessert and fruit flavors. Depends on what type of vape you want, really.

grantemsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Ontario
Pure nicotine is too dangerous to handle. So it's always mixed with either PG or VG. Pure nicotine is around 1000mg per mL. So you won't notice much if any change in the consistency of the PG or VG. If you prefer higher % of VG, get the nicotine in VG.

So if you get 48mg VG and want to make 10mL of 18mg with 20%PG 80%VG you'd use:
3.75mL of the nic VG (18/48*10ml)
4.25mL regular VG
2mL PG

If you bought it in PG, you wouldn't be able to make that high a strength without adjusting the PG/VG mix.
Note: Double check my math. Sometimes I'm wrong. But I think I got that right.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
This is what i did I got 120ml of 100mg pg nic juice but when I mix I mix with VG. So probaly when it's mixed I end up with a 80vg/20pg mix. And I only do 3ml bottles so it make calculations pretty easy.

One tip. The 100mg/ml is nasty stuff as you know and I hope you wear gloves etc. To minimize spill oppertunities I have a 250ml bottle that I use to hold mixed base liquid. Since you are vaping 80vg/20pg that means you are 20mg/ml. I would add 20mls base pg nic to a 100ml bottle then add 80mls of vg. That way you can draw off your base bottle with a pipette and mix 3ml bottles w/little danger of spilling 100mg/ml nic. Just a thought for you since limitimg the amount of handeling of 100mg liquid limits the risk of spills. Happy Vaping

Jmitchelliv

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
One tip. The 100mg/ml is nasty stuff as you know and I hope you wear gloves etc. To minimize spill oppertunities I have a 250ml bottle that I use to hold mixed base liquid. Since you are vaping 80vg/20pg that means you are 20mg/ml. I would add 20mls base pg nic to a 100ml bottle then add 80mls of vg. That way you can draw off your base bottle with a pipette and mix 3ml bottles w/little danger of spilling 100mg/ml nic. Just a thought for you since limitimg the amount of handeling of 100mg liquid limits the risk of spills. Happy Vaping

Just to clerify (since I'm about to dive head first into the DIY realm as well):

You get the 100mg/ml stuff and IMMEDIATELY cut that bottle into two 50mg/ml bottles with either PG or VG?

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Just to clerify (since I'm about to dive head first into the DIY realm as well):

You get the 100mg/ml stuff and IMMEDIATELY cut that bottle into two 50mg/ml bottles with either PG or VG?

No I draw off what I need to make a base mixing juice. So say the nic bottle is 125mls of 100mg/ml all PG and using post above as example, I wanted 80VG/20PG mix at 20mg/ml I would:

1) CAREFULLY measure 20 mls of 100mg/ml PG nic from my nic bottle and place in graduated cylinder (or beaker or measuring cup etc). Wearing gloves and eye protection.
2) Cap nic bottle and store in cool dark place away from pets and kids. Bottle will have 105mls left (if you had a 125ml bottle to start)
3) pour in 80 mls of VG
4) Tansfer mix to blue or brown plastic or glass 100ml bottle.
5) Shake well and Label 80vg/20pg 20mg/ml
6) Use this as my base fluid and pull off of it with a pipette to make flavored sauces
7) when base bottle runs down start at step 1.

Hope this helps and it is just safer than handeling the high concentration nic everytime you want to make a sauce. Believe me once you start you will collect flavors and it is not uncommon for me to mix 3 or 4 3ml bottles a night just testing stuff I dream up (last night I made Malted Vanilla Custard) or replenishing stock. I have also found the 3ml bottles are awesome since I carry about 20 different sauces w/me.

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
No I draw off what I need to make a base mixing juice. So say the nic bottle is 125mls of 100mg/ml all PG and using post above as example, I wanted 80VG/20PG mix at 20mg/ml I would:

1) CAREFULLY measure 20 mls of 100mg/ml PG nic from my nic bottle and place in graduated cylinder (or beaker or measuring cup etc). Wearing gloves and eye protection.
2) Cap nic bottle and store in cool dark place away from pets and kids. Bottle will have 105mls left (if you had a 125ml bottle to start)
3) pour in 80 mls of VG
4) Tansfer mix to blue or brown plastic or glass 100ml bottle.
5) Shake well and Label 80vg/20pg 20mg/ml
6) Use this as my base fluid and pull off of it with a pipette to make flavored sauces
7) when base bottle runs down start at step 1.

Hope this helps and it is just safer than handeling the high concentration nic everytime you want to make a sauce. Believe me once you start you will collect flavors and it is not uncommon for me to mix 3 or 4 3ml bottles a night just testing stuff I dream up (last night I made Malted Vanilla Custard) or replenishing stock. I have also found the 3ml bottles are awesome since I carry about 20 different sauces w/me.

I don't use this method myself as it doesn't take the amount of flavoring into account so your nic level on the finished juice will vary depending on how much flavoring you add and isn't as accurate imho.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I don't use this method myself as it doesn't take the amount of flavoring into account so your nic level on the finished juice will vary depending on how much flavoring you add and isn't as accurate imho.
Neither do I. 15 - 20% flavouring results in 17 or 16mg. Cool if you want to be there.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
LOL, thanks for understanding. I mistake with 50mg is not as bad as a mistake with 100mg.

I started off at 50mg when I was vaping 24mg and it was more than sufficient. I am now at 18 with plans to go down to 12 in the new year. I ordered 100mg because of Customs issues here in Canada. Customs Canada go wonkie on liquids every now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread