I have a dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Levin

Nov 8, 2011
Great Neck
I've been looking at things like the Tekkar mod(hope it's spelled correct) and thought...could someone inexperienced make a cheaper mod on their own? What I'm about to propose is a lot, and any help in parts and developement will be greatly appreciated.
Ideally, this would be the enclosure, as I am not so precise with my giant, clumsy hands. I would like to use 2 18650 protected cells in parallel, install and wire a USB charger, install and wire circuit booster (or whatever it is called that can turn one 3.7V cell ready for VV), a VV board, and voltage indicator. I want the batteries in parallel to charge. I am no electrician and have Zero background; Is this wiring setup even possible? if so can this setup be used as a PT and charge batteries? Other than the enclosure, and maybe a few components, I have no idea of where to get other parts, IE booser, any and all help would be appreciated. If I get enough feedback, will post with pictures, even a tutorial if i can get technical enough.

Thanks and hope others share my dream and can make it happen.

Alexander Levin

Nov 8, 2011
Great Neck
Thanks BJ. that's more or less where my idea came from. I was wondering if you can charge in parallel, if so, with 4000mah plus and a USB outlet, you can install the booster and VV on the go and in PT mode with PARALLEL, CHARGING batteries!!! I don't know, may be just me, I get excited with the potential for long lasting, VV, and charging!!

Looks like you want to do something similar, without booster, using a battery pack, I think I can see where this is going. I'll stand by patiently. BTW, great VV tutorial.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Charging batteries in parallel is not a big problem. In series you have the problem of one charging faster and overheating (exploding) so you need a charger that balances the current to each. I once built a mod with a master switch that isolated and switched the batteries from series to parallel while charging with a separate plug for charging as the amps for charging were to low for PT.

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
When limited to round cells, I'd either use a single cell booster with an 18650 or a dual cell buck with two 14500's. I built a VV passthru with a 5Ah LiPo flat cell and it runs forever on a charge, but I find it's just too large. I'm working on one right now with a 2.2Ah flat cell. It's half the size and I think it will be a good compromise between run time and physical size.

I haven't built any mods that use series cells, but for charging a series pack without battery removal, I would use an inexpensive balancing charger like this with a dedicated connector built into the mod. From what people have said, it sounds like you can get away with a "2 wire" charger, but it's always better to use a balancing charger.

For parallel cells, there's no issue with charging, you just have to make sure they're identically charged when you first hook them up. I probably would not run removable cells in parallel, just too easy to overlook that when replacing them all the time. For me, a mod with parallel cells would have to have on-board charging so the cells could remain connected at all times.

Alexander Levin

Nov 8, 2011
Great Neck
I thought of a different case and made a diagram for how to wire charger only. Anyone who can help fill in the rest of the components, as I am not quite sure of the order etc, that would be great. Also does this diagram make sense/work? I figure by attaching wires to each post on the battery connectors it will feed a charge to each battery directly, as opposed to soldering a wire from the positive and negative terminal bridges to the pins on a USB port.

I might use one of those battery pack, I need to do some research, as they are out of my comfort range and have no experience with them. It was easy for me to understand the standard round cells 14's 16's 18's so I'm sure with enough research and or help from the great members of this forum I can understand what I need to do to them and how/if they can be wired to USB 5-pin mini, preferably using only the outside posts.

as i understand with the booster will work with the battery pack, will it work with parallel batteries? If connecting wires directly to terminal posts will evenly charge batteries I won't need to worry about changing them until they die, 3,000 or whatever cycles later, and then can even seal the unit, maybe even rubberize it. For a single, full-time father of a 5-year old girl I spend a lot of time thinking about modding; IT'S A DISEASE, LOL. At least I figure I have a few years left to either get over modding or become a guru, then it's worrying about boys, hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread