Evolv DNA 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
What does that mean for e.g. Chinese mod makers? (I'm thinking of a possible VT60 Nano, Elfin DNA60...) So manufacturers do have a sample board to be able to develop but won't be able to mass produce before October!? That means we are not going to see those hitting the shelves before Nov/Dec!?
The way I understand it is the DNA60 board is basically a drop-in replacement for the DNA40. People can upgrade their older mods with a little more power and the ability to use Escribe.

It's really more to breath new life in the older DNA40 mods imo.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Topweasel

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2016
Is Evolv planning to further shrink the board? It would be great to see a true mini mod the size of an Evic Basic powered by DNA.
Probably not for a couple reasons.
1. US company. Since a large portion of their sales are to mod makers in the US, or Chinese mods aimed at the US. Till stuff gets worked out they will be unlikely to develop a board that can't be legitimately sold in the US.
2. All of their recent announcements and new chips exist as replacements for already existing form factors. Even the DNA 75 which was announced nearly 6 months before the freeze was designed to fit the same mounting points of a DNA 200 board but slightly smaller. The DNA 60 and DNA 250(166) were meant to upgrades to boards that already existed (DNA40 and DNA200 respectively).
3. Price. Now it might not be an issue for high end or custom mods. But realistically DNA's aren't for the smallest devices. Why because the board will still be roughly $40. Is someone going to want to pay $80+ for a super small device with limited power and battery life. No matter how smooth it is, customizable it is, and how well it does TC. Some might but not enough to sell enough to make a profit.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Anyone know is it possible to swap DNA40 for the following mods :

HCigar VT40
Vapor Shark rDNA40
Vapor Shark Flask DNA40
Hana V4S DNA40

Would love to upgrades the above.
the hana and the hcigar vt would be the easiest out of your list. the 60 has escribe and the usb charge/data board is slightly bigger than just a straight usb charge board, it requires more connections (data and charge wires). so the rdna would be tricky since the daughter board has the charge circuit, all the regulatory buttons, wireless charging, RB buzzer and usb socket on it (only charge, no data). the flask, would be a little easier but if you want to keep the 2 amp charging AND have escribe you have to do some adding and rerouting of data wires, which i won't get into. you can pm me for that if you want

Greenj22

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2016
kinda sorta a direct fit. from the info i've seen, no mounting rails. a larger inductor on the back (makes it .5mm thicker than the 40), taller fire button and up & down buttons as well. all this not a problem if you're retrofitting a vapor flask or hana large screen. could be a problem with the VS dna 40 (built in battery). they are using evolv's up & down buttons but use an external fire button.
The only thing that required modifying was the area that the USB sits in. The Evolv Satellite USB for the 60 is the same width as the board (wider than standard). Otherwise, the board is awesome.
DNA602.jpeg

Greenj22

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2016
The way I understand it is the DNA60 board is basically a drop-in replacement for the DNA40. People can upgrade their older mods with a little more power and the ability to use Escribe.

It's really more to breath new life in the older DNA40 mods imo.

Cheers,
Steve
DNA602.jpeg

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Where the heck are all the mods supposedly using this chip. Evolve stated they have availability at least in smaller quantities and a bunch of mods are set to arrive with the chip but it's just longer and longer and longer. Even for the mods which made the cut off its been five plus months now. So what's the delay. Evolv not being able to supply the chips in quantities great enough or people selling beta units which were nowhere near the final product just to hit deadlines and now having to do actual testing?

I'm personally really looking forward to the DNA 60 baby boxer classic mod. The 26500 battery means short mod and it looks absolutely miniscule. Knowing how great Ginger vapor is and the top notch feel of the boxer fabriplastic has me.stoked burners been five months now waiting for DNA 60 mods to ship with no end in sight. Even for nonnusa mods! Even for super high end customs. A ton have committed to releasing they're just not out

So is it a yield issue ? or mod maker issue?

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Where the heck are all the mods supposedly using this chip. Evolve stated they have availability at least in smaller quantities and a bunch of mods are set to arrive with the chip but it's just longer and longer and longer. Even for the mods which made the cut off its been five plus months now. So what's the delay. Evolv not being able to supply the chips in quantities great enough or people selling beta units which were nowhere near the final product just to hit deadlines and now having to do actual testing?

I'm personally really looking forward to the DNA 60 baby boxer classic mod. The 26500 battery means short mod and it looks absolutely miniscule. Knowing how great Ginger vapor is and the top notch feel of the boxer fabriplastic has me.stoked burners been five months now waiting for DNA 60 mods to ship with no end in sight. Even for nonnusa mods! Even for super high end customs. A ton have committed to releasing they're just not out

So is it a yield issue ? or mod maker issue?

I was really looking forward to that Boxer Mod DNA60 Classic as well. My current favorite mod I use every day is the iStick Pico 75W - which I've been using for many months now.

I really wanted to upgrade to a higher end mod that can do MTL TC better with SS wire. The DNA60 looked to be a good candidate for that, especially in that DNA60 Boxer Mod - which is very much in the size range if an iStick Pico 75W, but would be even lighter - which would have been f*****g great!

I would have paid $200 for something like that (though they will, of course, supposedly sell for less), but they are still unavailable, and I'm not sure they ever will be. So instead, I ordered a 3D printed (like the Boxer "Classic" Mods) Rebel DNA75 Mod (from esauce in the UK) that can use a single 18650 or 26650 battery. They reportedly has a dyed color finish that is much deeper and more durable than that of the 3D printed Boxer Mods.

I'm actually pretty excited about getting that mod, even though with overseas shipping it ended up costing me $208 (a "similar" Boxer version would've cost about $175), so I don't feel so bad about that Boxer Mod DNA60 not being available yet (if ever).

I think, perhaps, because Boxer Mods is kind of a small scale, custom manufacturer, they did not earn themselves a spot in front of the line for regular supplies of the DNA60 board from Evolv?

I don't think it is Boxer Mods or Evolv that is at fault. It is the fault of these stupid FDA deeming regs and the buerocrats behind them. The impact that is having on the market will just get worse and worse. That is why I pulled the trigger on buying that first high end mod I've ever bought in 7 years of vaping - because I think those regs are going to seriously screw the pooch for us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread