Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have been rebuilding EVOD heads for several months now using cotton yarn and they have performed flawlessly. Recently I started rebuilding ARO heads using the same cotton yarn, but they get gurgly and leaky as the tank level drops. After careful inspection of both heads I noticed that the wick holes on the ARO are larger than on the EVOD. More specifically they seem to be the same width but taller. This means they REQUIRE "flavor wicks", which I prefer to NOT use, in order to properly fill the hole.

Since in other threads we seem to have determined that T3S heads are the "universal" head, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the wick hole in T3S heads compared to the other two types. I prefer the smaller wick hole so I don't have to use flavor wicks but EVOD heads won't work in an ARO. So, if T3S heads have an EVOD sized wick hole and work in an ARO, I'll be in business.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Hang on... I just posted with someone in another thread about how T3 and Aro heads are interchangeable... he probably has both and can look... will edit this post when I find that thread.... (and btw I was in that original thread with you and am still grateful you pointed out that my Aro heads would work in my PT2).

EDIT: DavidOck might have both. Left a link in that (sort of related) thread to this one in case he can enlighten us on this. (Hope that's ok with the moderators.) I'm curious too.

Btw I only use Aro heads and never need a flavor wick. What's your juice viscosity? (PG/VG ratio) ?

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Hi, that's me :)

I'm a bit confused by what you're calling the "wick hole", ScottP. Are you referring to the slot in the cylindrical portion that holds the air tube?

To be specific I am talking about the hole/slot in the head that the wicks come through. If you remove the coil and wick from an old head, then replace the stem AND rubber cup you are left with a hole on either side where the wicks used to be. If you do this with an EVOD and ARO it is clear that the holes in the ARO are taller. I am curious how the T3S holes compare to the others. Basically I want a head that fits in the ARO but has the smaller wick hole like the EVOD. I am hoping the T3S fits this bill.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
So the "slot" in the base, inside which the coil and wicks sit...

Got out my trusty digital caliper this am. While it doesn't have a current calibration sticker, using the same on all devices should at least be representative, and close enough for our purposes.

I took apart and measured the following: Evod, T3S, Aro and Davide. (Call me crazy, but when I get a new brand topper, I get extra heads for it, just in case. So the ones measured are the ones that came with the device.

The cup height of the Evod and the Aro was 4 mm, the T3S was 3.76, and the Davide was 4.25. I measured (with the coil out) from the top of the base "washer" to the top of the cup.

Incidentally, the max diameter of the base was 10 mm on the Davide and the Evod, only 9 mm on the T3S and Aro. Hence those fitting and sealing inside the Evod and Davide bases, and the Evod and Davide heads not fitting inside the T3S or Aro.

I also found that, on the Aro, there were three 1 mm flavor wicks. Everything else had two.

Also, the Evod and PT3 heads had an inside diameter of 3 mm. The Aro was 2.3 and the Davide was 2.78, so that possibly accounts for the tighter draw.

So the T3S would seem to fit your needs, as it's the shortest of the ones I measured. And if you like the tighter draw, pop an Aro head into the T3S base.

Hope that helps.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
So the "slot" in the base, inside which the coil and wicks sit...

Got out my trusty digital caliper this am. While it doesn't have a current calibration sticker, using the same on all devices should at least be representative, and close enough for our purposes.

I took apart and measured the following: Evod, T3S, Aro and Davide. (Call me crazy, but when I get a new brand topper, I get extra heads for it, just in case. So the ones measured are the ones that came with the device.

The cup height of the Evod and the Aro was 4 mm, the T3S was 3.76, and the Davide was 4.25. I measured (with the coil out) from the top of the base "washer" to the top of the cup.

Incidentally, the max diameter of the base was 10 mm on the Davide and the Evod, only 9 mm on the T3S and Aro. Hence those fitting and sealing inside the Evod and Davide bases, and the Evod and Davide heads not fitting inside the T3S or Aro.

I also found that, on the Aro, there were three 1 mm flavor wicks. Everything else had two.

Also, the Evod and PT3 heads had an inside diameter of 3 mm. The Aro was 2.3 and the Davide was 2.78, so that possibly accounts for the tighter draw.

So the T3S would seem to fit your needs, as it's the shortest of the ones I measured. And if you like the tighter draw, pop an Aro head into the T3S base.

Hope that helps.

That was very good info, but if I am not mistaken, his question was in eying the slots in an Aro and T3, do they look the same size or is the T3 slot smaller than the Aro slot?

I don't have a T3 to compare, but below is a pic of a genuine Aro pyrex head and a genuine PT2 Kanger head. You can see how the slot is cut wider at the top on the Kanger, aside from the Kanger being a larger cup (see top-down-view). What all this amounts to to me, is I found (just last night) a flavor wick is needed in the Kanger to keep the PT2 from gurgling (I use cotton, 100% VG), whereas I don't need a flavor wick in the Aro.

However, the screwdriver that came with my IGO-L fits perfectly in the Aro slot, but won't fit into the Kanger (beyond where it's cut wider at the top). So the Aro slot IS wider than the Kanger slot... while the Kanger slot is wider only at the top cutaway.

I am also curious what configuration then, the T3 slot is in comparison to the Aro.

Kang-Aro-Slots.jpg
Kanger on left, Aro on right.

Aro-L Kang-R.jpg
Can't tell in this pic that the slots are cut different at the top, but...

Aro-L Kang-R Top View.jpg
Aro is the smaller head.

PS Sorry in the first 2 picks I didn't keep the same head on the same side of the pic.... but Kanger head has a really slanted "open cut" at the top of their slot while the Aro slot ALMOST just goes straight up. It's a lot clearer actually when just eyeing them in your hand... kinda harder to see in a picture. And even though the slots look the same width [at the bottom] the Aro slot is actually wider.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yes, I did see that, but the base of the air tube seems to totally fill that "wedge" cut, so on all 4 styles I measured, the remaining slot is just a rectangle. I didn't measure the width of the slot though. ScottP was asking about height, and I totally spaced on that...

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Yes, I did see that, but the base of the air tube seems to totally fill that "wedge" cut, so on all 4 styles I measured, the remaining slot is just a rectangle. I didn't measure the width of the slot though. ScottP was asking about height, and I totally spaced on that...

You are right, David! Just re-read OP and he did say he thought they looked the same width but that one was taller and he wondered then if the T3 was taller.

I wonder if they ARE the same width though, as the Aro and Kanger look like the same width (to me anyway) but are not.

I wish I knew the size of my IGO screwdriver... don't have a caliper.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I suspect they're all at 2 mm, since that's the size of the factory wick.

If you mean you suspect all the slots are 2mm in width, I know they are not, because the Aro and Kanger slots are not the same width. Again, my IGO L screwdriver fits perfect into my Aro head slots for building coils... but won't fit down into the Kanger slot. I have to use a different wrap-tool for that head. So am wondering if the slot in the T3 is wide like the Aro, or narrower like the Kanger.

TafkanX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Lubbock, Texas, United States
They are definitely not the same width. I find a 12 gauge needle fits perfectly into the Aro cup slots while a 14 gauge fits about perfectly into the Kanger cup slots. I don't have the requisite tools to measure with any precision, but with that knowledge a few simple conversions approximate the Aro slots at about 2.052mm (0.081 in) and the Kanger slots at about 1.628mm (0.064 in). For those that like to use drill bits, the Aro head will accommodate a 5/64" bit where the Kanger head will accommodate a 1/16" bit (both of these being slightly smaller in diameter than the corresponding cup slots).

Cheers!

ETA: the Kanger heads I refer to in this post are the protank/evod heads

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
They are definitely not the same width. I find a 12 gauge needle fits perfectly into the Aro cup slots while a 14 gauge fits about perfectly into the Kanger cup slots. I don't have the requisite tools to measure with any precision, but with that knowledge a few simple conversions approximate the Aro slots at about 2.052mm (0.081 in) and the Kanger slots at about 1.628mm (0.064 in). For those that like to use drill bits, the Aro head will accommodate a 5/64" bit where the Aro head will accommodate a 1/16" bit (both of these being slightly smaller in diameter than the corresponding cup slots).

Cheers!

Most excellent information! However, when you talk about the "Kanger" heads, is that for the Kanger EVOD/PT heads or the Kanger T3S heads? Are those the same size? My guess/hope is yes since they are both Kanger but then again the collar diameter is different so they are obviously not the same mold.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
So TafkanX, do you happen to have a T3 head to see if its slots are wide like the Aro, or narrower like the Kanger? That's the OP's question but don't own a T3 head. And thanks for those nifty measurements! :)

EDIT: Ooops... ScottP beat me to it... his post wasn't up yet when I wrote mine... what's everyone doing up at 2:20am posting here anyway! LOL!

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Hard to be real accurate with the wicks still in, but the Aro I measured was about 2.2 mm, the Evod, T3S and Davide were all about 1.7 - 1.8 mm. So much for my earlier guess, and maybe why the Aro had 3 flavor wicks :)

That's great, then it looks like the T3 has a narrow flange like the Aro, but also a narrow slot like the Kanger PT2/EVOD. That's what ScottP was hoping for, I believe.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
That's great, then it looks like the T3 has a narrow flange like the Aro, but also a narrow slot like the Kanger PT2/EVOD. That's what ScottP was hoping for, I believe.

That is indeed what I am hoping for. Thanks to David I feel I can order with a bit more confidence.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread