Eventually, you'll all get screwd(river) one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuffer

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2008
New York State
Just out of interest what other ecigs do you think produce more vapour.

Well, from personal experience I can say that a good 901 USB passthrough definitely surpasses the SD in terms of steam clouds. (This hit's a little weak for me though.) Also a heavily-juiced 510 manual produces easy big vapor more consistently than an SD. (An 801 passthrough might match the SD, too, but I agree with Trog that 801's in general can be frustratingly weak hitters).

From watching videos and reading reviews, I'd guess that e-cigars might match the SD (when they're working!). Also the 6v GG (but 6 volts might be simply too much for a 901 atomizer). But I really don't know on those.

I highly value my SD. For me, though, variety of vaping experiences is necessary. So I mix in my SD with using a 510 manual and with any new e-cig that catches my eye and suckers me in with the usually unjustified hype. (I try to remain skeptical, but we are vapers, and this is what we do, no?)

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
I'm sure that there are better performers - but just like my analog days, I just feel like I need any 2ndary one, or variety. If I could, I only smoked Marlboro Lights, and maybe sometimes a parliament (maybe a once in 2 years or so) - but what I really wanted is to have something that I could just forget and stick to, and SD is very close to it.

Now, my biggest problem is cart itself. Not the atomizer nor the vapor. It's just the shoddy 901 carts are just driving me nuts in a way... especially those flimsy filters. I'm debating whether I should get a couple hundreds carts and just throw away when I'm done, or buy fillers and do it myself.

kr0nicle

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
a
I'm sure that there are better performers - but just like my analog days, I just feel like I need any 2ndary one, or variety. If I could, I only smoked Marlboro Lights, and maybe sometimes a parliament (maybe a once in 2 years or so) - but what I really wanted is to have something that I could just forget and stick to, and SD is very close to it.

Now, my biggest problem is cart itself. Not the atomizer nor the vapor. It's just the shoddy 901 carts are just driving me nuts in a way... especially those flimsy filters. I'm debating whether I should get a couple hundreds carts and just throw away when I'm done, or buy fillers and do it myself.

if you find an answer to that problem, i want to be the first to know! i've tried the straw mod. i've tried the "hole in the cart mod" (dont recommend this one btw..) been dripping for me. supposedly this will reduce my atomizer life - been alternating 2 of them for almost a month - still going strong. we'll see!:rolleyes:

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
if you find an answer to that problem, i want to be the first to know! i've tried the straw mod. i've tried the "hole in the cart mod" (dont recommend this one btw..) been dripping for me. supposedly this will reduce my atomizer life - been alternating 2 of them for almost a month - still going strong. we'll see!:rolleyes:

I just ordered some Janty Dura carts from Dietsmokes, and I'm going to see how it works out for me... (while trying out some Janty juice as well). With that, I'll also try out with straw method as well... we'll see how it goes. I might be just alright with just straight 510 carts.

So far, I've been re-stuffing with pillow filler once in 2 days.. and it's been working relatively well. Definitely a little tricky to find the right amount though. Too much stuffing, too hard of draw. Too little stuffing, liquid in your mouth... yuck! But more I do, better I'll get so in a way, I'm little optimistic about it.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
i never heard cashmere say "earth shattering" but supposedly the prodigy will deliver on this..

and no offense or anything - but your sig is kind of disturbing.

None taken. Why is "Please support the ECA by purchasing only from distributors who are members of the ECA" disturbing?

I'm interested to hear why. I went ahead and changed my signature, though.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
I just ordered some Janty Dura carts from Dietsmokes, and I'm going to see how it works out for me... (while trying out some Janty juice as well). With that, I'll also try out with straw method as well... we'll see how it goes. I might be just alright with just straight 510 carts.

So far, I've been re-stuffing with pillow filler once in 2 days.. and it's been working relatively well. Definitely a little tricky to find the right amount though. Too much stuffing, too hard of draw. Too little stuffing, liquid in your mouth... yuck! But more I do, better I'll get so in a way, I'm little optimistic about it.

I use 901 cartridges, so I'm curious what issues you are referring to...

I've noticed that my vaping experience seems to be deterioriating over the last couple of weeks, despite a steady rotation of batteries and even a new atomizer (no change). I hadn't thought about the cartridges, so now I'm intrigued. Please share your insight.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
I use 901 cartridges, so I'm curious what issues you are referring to...

I've noticed that my vaping experience seems to be deterioriating over the last couple of weeks, despite a steady rotation of batteries and even a new atomizer (no change). I hadn't thought about the cartridges, so now I'm intrigued. Please share your insight.

Well, I found a couple of things...

In case of standard filler which is a thin layer of poly fill, and bent in "S" shape to fit in... (4075 2 piece cart)
When it loses its fluffiness, in a few days, it becomes rather thin. When patted dried, it can absorb some liquid, but leaves way too much of void space with raw liquid, which is more likely to cause "flooding" of atomizer.

In case of re-stuffing with your own poly fill in non bent but literally stuffed in... (901 1 piece cart) in style of conventional 801 carts... (doesn't have the S bend)
When it gets older, it loses its capacity to take in the liquid. Often, the atomizer only uses fraction of liquid, and have to top off rather often. Less likely to flood though, as long as you don't have a huge puddle of liquid...

In both cases, when the filler's old, it sits back and makes less contact with the wick, so you'd need to pull it out often with a twizer, so that it would at least flush with the top edge of the cart.

So I do believe the filler needs to be replaced every 2-3 days for SD. Well, his instruction manual also suggests that too... which I was first a bit skeptical, but it's indeed true. Especially SD, it could run hotter than conventional e-cigs, so the filler needs to be replaced often, it seems.

I've been replacing my filler with polyfill every 2 days or so... and it's been doing alright. At this point, I am not really certain that any other cart design would really make that much of difference - as it's more of the proglem of the filler itself, than capacity.... but I'm also ordered some 510 carts, and see if the capacity of cartridge itself would have any impact on the filler mileage.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
I want a Screwdriver now. :(

I just received my ecig last week and they were both tempermental right out of the box. Since they are my first ones, I wonder if this is normal? Some hits produce puffs, some don't. Fully charged. Kinda frustrating.

I wonder what model do you have?

It's true that e-cigs have learning curves. Each model is actually little bit different, so I'd say to give yours a chance for at least a week or two...

I had much problem with my 801's super easy draw. Took a long time time to find out how to draw that one... and when it worked, it worked great. :)

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
I wonder what model do you have?

It's true that e-cigs have learning curves. Each model is actually little bit different, so I'd say to give yours a chance for at least a week or two...

I had much problem with my 801's super easy draw. Took a long time time to find out how to draw that one... and when it worked, it worked great. :)

801 has a "super easy draw" ??? That sounds like a great situation! I seem to have to pull way to hard on my 901. What is the difference between the two? I went with 901, b/c I had read that it was "the best" overall ecig. Can you provide some insight on this subject (comparisons, ease of draw, etc.) or refer me to a thread that would address the questions?

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
801 has a "super easy draw" ??? That sounds like a great situation! I seem to have to pull way to hard on my 901. What is the difference between the two? I went with 901, b/c I had read that it was "the best" overall ecig. Can you provide some insight on this subject (comparisons, ease of draw, etc.) or refer me to a thread that would address the questions?

801 has super easy draw, because it's got many more holes - the one I had, I think had 4 holes. 901 has 1 hole, which makes it much more difficult to draw in.

with my original 901 (well 4075), it was like drawing through rather thick milkshake. 801 is like drawing with little to no resistance at all. It's like drawing just empty straw, empty air. Result is.. that it's much easier to draw, but the vapor density is not as thick if you draw fast. You'd have to be very slow and easy to get some decent vapor. However, for me, from swithching from one to another all the time, it was getting almost confusing at one point - see, different techniques for different e-cigs.

To be honest, I like somewhere in the between - as I used to pack my cig pretty tight. I just didn't like the whole super easy draw... 901, depending on some situation, can be pretty hard to draw too - I think it depends on the filler, and amount of liquid, etc etc. For what's worth, I've been having some tongue "cramps" off and on when I was drawing too hard with my 4081 and 901 - just like when I was trying suck in the really really thick milkshake through straw. It hurt like he**. But, for some strange reason, I'm not getting such cramps with SD - perhaps I am now controlling the vapor with manual swithch, which means I don't have to draw so hard and long to get good amount of vapor.

If you are having too much of trouble with draws - first check the atty that the hole isn't covered with some gunk or dirt. Also flooded attys also tend to be a little harder to draw too. Lastly, if your filler is too dense, it might also cause some hard-draws sometimes.

One trick I can offer is to take off that bottm mouth piece, where it has the drawing hole with paper clip. Of course, this acts as the liquid trap, so that you won't be getting raw liquid... but taking it off makes drawing quite a bit easier. Just make sure to clean the inside up every so often - as you'll get liquid condensation in there in few vaping session. :)

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
801 has super easy draw, because it's got many more holes - the one I had, I think had 4 holes. 901 has 1 hole, which makes it much more difficult to draw in.

with my original 901 (well 4075), it was like drawing through rather thick milkshake. 801 is like drawing with little to no resistance at all. It's like drawing just empty straw, empty air. Result is.. that it's much easier to draw, but the vapor density is not as thick if you draw fast. You'd have to be very slow and easy to get some decent vapor. However, for me, from swithching from one to another all the time, it was getting almost confusing at one point - see, different techniques for different e-cigs.

To be honest, I like somewhere in the between - as I used to pack my cig pretty tight. I just didn't like the whole super easy draw... 901, depending on some situation, can be pretty hard to draw too - I think it depends on the filler, and amount of liquid, etc etc. For what's worth, I've been having some tongue "cramps" off and on when I was drawing too hard with my 4081 and 901 - just like when I was trying suck in the really really thick milkshake through straw. It hurt like he**. But, for some strange reason, I'm not getting such cramps with SD - perhaps I am now controlling the vapor with manual swithch, which means I don't have to draw so hard and long to get good amount of vapor.

If you are having too much of trouble with draws - first check the atty that the hole isn't covered with some gunk or dirt. Also flooded attys also tend to be a little harder to draw too. Lastly, if your filler is too dense, it might also cause some hard-draws sometimes.

One trick I can offer is to take off that bottm mouth piece, where it has the drawing hole with paper clip. Of course, this acts as the liquid trap, so that you won't be getting raw liquid... but taking it off makes drawing quite a bit easier. Just make sure to clean the inside up every so often - as you'll get liquid condensation in there in few vaping session. :)

Thanks for the tip, lachesis. I just tried your trick with the 901, and it helps. Thank you! :thumb:

I'm thinking that when the Prodigy is released, its 5v will generate rapid atomization, so the 801's super-easy draw might be the best fit. What do you think?

Last edited:

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Thanks for the tip, lachesis. I just tried your trick with the 901, and it helps. Thank you! :thumb:

I'm thinking that when the Prodigy is released, its 5v will generate rapid atomization, so the 801's super-easy draw might be the best fit. What do you think?

Glad it worked out. I think prodigy 5v would be very good for 801 - and I think you'll benefit the most out of manual control.

Basically it's the same voltage you get from USB pass-throughs. And M=my experience with pass throughs are generally much better than regular battery, but it was much more apparent on minis. With 801, only difference I could tell was the consistency of longer battery life... as 801 attys are designed to take higher voltage better than smaller minis, as far as I understand. As i mentioned above, probably the biggest advantage would be the manual switch control Once you get hang of it, it's rather hard to look back. No cut-offs, no need to prem. puff, and much more vapor... just can't be beat. :)

I'm quite certain prodigy will be an excellent choice, but over the past couple months of vaping and spending way too much money on 3 different e-cigs, I've became little cautious regarding any further purchase, especially when it's in pre-order status, or a new brand. Well, you can always decide when you read probably a flood of reviews and all. :) Thing about SD, was it's already proven itself for the test of the time - some here used it over 4 months.

I myself is willing to get that PS manual PT for 901 and, maybe a 801 adapter, as I still do have a couple used attys and used carts for 801. Steve says he should be able to fullfill all the pre-orders by June 5th or 8th, so maybe I'll order my PT from them in middle of June, after reading up some reviews.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Glad it worked out. I think prodigy 5v would be very good for 801 - and I think you'll benefit the most out of manual control.

Basically it's the same voltage you get from USB pass-throughs. And M=my experience with pass throughs are generally much better than regular battery, but it was much more apparent on minis. With 801, only difference I could tell was the consistency of longer battery life... as 801 attys are designed to take higher voltage better than smaller minis, as far as I understand. As i mentioned above, probably the biggest advantage would be the manual switch control Once you get hang of it, it's rather hard to look back. No cut-offs, no need to prem. puff, and much more vapor... just can't be beat. :)

I'm quite certain prodigy will be an excellent choice, but over the past couple months of vaping and spending way too much money on 3 different e-cigs, I've became little cautious regarding any further purchase, especially when it's in pre-order status, or a new brand. Well, you can always decide when you read probably a flood of reviews and all. :) Thing about SD, was it's already proven itself for the test of the time - some here used it over 4 months.

I myself is willing to get that PS manual PT for 901 and, maybe a 801 adapter, as I still do have a couple used attys and used carts for 801. Steve says he should be able to fullfill all the pre-orders by June 5th or 8th, so maybe I'll order my PT from them in middle of June, after reading up some reviews.

Hi lachesis! Thanks for all the additional information.

FYI, you may have read my posts on this over in Steve's forum, but in case you haven't:

V1 of the USBpass will only have a 3-foot 28awg USB cable. Around mid-June, though, Steve says he will roll out V2 of the USBpass, which will have a 6-foot 20awg USB cable (a major improvement).

Both products will be apparently be a huge improvement over the USB PT's currently on the market, but I am planning to wait a couple of extra weeks for the superior V2 USBpass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread