Do you consider Philip morris IQOS smoking or vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobc1990

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2019
Johor Bahru
They mention that the do use tobacco but heated them at a consistent rate of 350 Celsius. Recently I went to the iqos store nearby my house and the staff told me that you do not need iqos if vaping is working for you,I ended up buying one just to experience and it tastes close to cigarette but milder taste and hit.I heard that vaping heat not more then 315 Celsius,and assume it is totally safer then IQOS.

I find that I am more satisfy with vaping,mod ones as I drank more water.Comparing IQOS vs Sub ohm vaping where there is lots of cloud which one is safer to health,and which one to pick if I were to quit nic?

C42E7991-797C-4FFD-BC07-5641E2A956C3.png

Attachments

• 32DFE057-0350-45E9-B816-16E6F82151C5.png
    32DFE057-0350-45E9-B816-16E6F82151C5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There I dry herb tobacco vaporizers, and some MJ ones that could probably be used with tobacco (they have various heat settings) but you sort of smoke Ganja like every once in a while, I would consider most dry herb tobacco vapes to be a giant PITA, including the IQOS.

Which is neither smoking or vaping in my opinion. But, however it sells better will be how Marlboro sells it as. Etc.

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It's neither. As @Haktuspit says, smoking involves combustion. Nicotine vaping uses ejuice, and tobacco leaves don't play a direct role.

IQOS is another form of harm reduction. From what I remember of the studies, it's probably less effective (harm-reduction wise) than vaping, but may be better than smoking. If vaping works for you, vape. If it doesn't, consider IQOS.

I'd add that neither IQOS nor vaping as most of us here use it involves quitting nicotine (although nicotine-free vaping is an option). Nicotine isn't responsible for most of the harm from smoking - that comes from inhaling ash, tar and other toxic particulates and fumes.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do you consider Philip morris IQOS smoking or vaping?
Kinda in between. I've had one for over a year. I hardly use it, but every once in a blue moon, I get a hankering for a dose of whatever alkaloids and such that are in tobacco, that are missing from a straight nicotine vape, and the IQOS delivers those nicely.

I find that I am more satisfy with vaping,mod ones as I drank more water.Comparing IQOS vs Sub ohm vaping where there is lots of cloud which one is safer to health,and which one to pick if I were to quit nic?
If by "sub-ohm" you mean taking lung-busting, DL hits from a vape, I'm not sure which is safer. If you were comparing MTl puffing on a vape to puffing on an IQOS, I would suppose that the vape is less hazardous. As for quitting nic, straight vape clearly seems like the way to go because you can taper off the nicotine slowly by reducing the nic strength of your juice.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've read the cigarette smell is still there and I also read once you begin to use a heat stick, you're committed to it until it gone. I like the no smell anymore and that I can start/stop without feeling I'm wasting an expensive item.
Is there some smell? Yes, but at least an order of magnitude less than a cigarette. Nobody in my family of non-smokers has ever noticed when I've used my IQOS.

Unless you're vaping unflavored liquid, it's highly unlikely that there's "no smell anymore". ;)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I consider iQOS to be smoking since it still has many of the same carcinogens as smoking does, just maybe in a lesser quantity. What is even worse is the filter in those cartridges melt and release a chemical that breaks down in the liver into Formaldehyde and Cyanide! So it could actually be worse than smoking.

iQOS may not be as harm-free as claimed, study finds
But of greater concern was that the polymer filter melted slightly during use and released formaldehyde cyanohydrin, a toxic substance which could be fatal to humans. The compound is metabolised in the liver and broken down into formaldehyde and cyanide.

Unless you're vaping unflavored liquid, it's highly unlikely that there's "no smell anymore". ;)

Well I vape Wintergreen and people can sniff my cloud directly and have claimed it didn't have a scent. So different flavors may or may not have a scent. When I vaped strawberry it had a scent but many people actually told me they liked the smell. Also even though there was a scent while vaping, there was no lingering smell (good or bad) like there is with cigs.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
@Rossum how hard or is it possible to DIY heat sticks? I personally know less than nothing about IQOS. Is it going to possibly be another way to miss use marijuana?
I really don't know what would be involved in DIYing Heets, but it doesn't strike me as a particularly sensible thing to try from an economic perspective.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
I've never used an IQOS, but I've misused my marijuana Vapes by putting tobacco in them before. I would definitely not classify what came out as smoke, but definitely not the same as e-cigarette vapor.
Really it's the same thing as if you put cannabis in it. It's the vapor of the plant resin.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Really it's the same thing as if you put cannabis in it. It's the vapor of the plant resin.
Yes. If IQOS is anything like what I've tried, going all the way back to a portable butane powered "vape" to my current desktop temp control unit, it's definitely not smoke. Technically speaking, vapor, but no where near as smooth as e-juice.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As to the last point the OP brought up, if they want to stop using nic vaping makes far more sense as you can adjust the concentration and wean down to 0 nic. With IQOS you would have to keep decreasing the number of sticks used each day, kinda like decreasing how many cigarettes you smokers a day. Generally that type of weaning process doesn’t turn out too well or many of us may well have just stopped smoking that way. You also avoid the minor alkaloids you get with a HEET system which are also in cigarettes unless you’re vaping NETs.

If whatever is used works to get a person off of cigarettes without the risk of greater harm (which I doubt IQOS or other HEET systems are) then great. As we’ve all experienced, there is no single right way to stop smoking, just whatever is the best fit for the individual, and the more options available is for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread