Status
Not open for further replies.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
It's been a while since I built a mod - procrastinitius, ya know :laugh:; definitely not for lack of supplies. So I'm posting this as a push to get this mod completed. :lol:

I saw a post by MadManMacguyver, where he had made a PT-in-a-box mod. This got me thinking :ohmy:, when I'm at work I usually vape at my desk with my ACDC plugged in. A desktop PT that I can leave by my computer at work would be nice. So I've been collecting stuff from eBay for a while now and I think I have everything I need.

I had been waiting for a wooden box I ordered from eBay (which I did get yesterday :rolleyes:) when I 'saw' the wooden box which holds two decks of playing cards which has been setting on my nightstand for a few years now.
It looks very similar to this:
28vg9he.gif

So this desktop box will

1) have this kis-3r33 module - Kis-3r33 DC-DC Step-Down Power Module 4A LM2596 IN 4.75-24V TO 0.93V-18V | eBay

2) it will be switchable from AC power (12V/2A) to battery power (2 x 18650)

3) voltmeter wired to read batteries or Vout with tact switch to activate

4) a detachable 'vaping wand' - I made a first attempt at making this, will try again for finished mod. This will most likely be made from a 1"x1" square wooden 'dowel'. Shaped with dremel. Hole drilled down through the center for batt connector and wires. A Mad Vapes black horn button (I just like those). Wire going from this 'wand' to the PT box will most likely be 18 gauge speaker wire - ~2 to 2.5 ft. The end of the wire will have a 5.5x2.1mm male jack to plug into the Vout 5.5x2.1mm female jack.

So the layout will be like this:
rivtdv.jpg

So now this is posted and if I don't post pics of a finished product soon, I'll feel like an ... and I really don't like feeling like an ... :D

Oh, by the way, I get to define what "soon" is :lol:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Oh my gawd! I'm gettin' as bad as the wife with her shoes! I was looking at that kis module listing on eBay and thinkin' "It's only 2 bucks and there's only 2 hours left on the biddin'" :blink: :blink: I already have two of those modules; not to mention one of the large LM2596s, 5 or 6 of the smaller LM2596s, 5 of the kis chips, a couple eBay 3V to 5V boost modules :shock:

I am blocking eBay on all my computers!! Well ... maybe ... that seems a bit drastic

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Wired up the batt/output voltage slide switch and tact switch for the voltmeter. Set them in the hole and epoxy putty'd them in place. Wired the AC power jack for the 'wand' and tacked on the +- leads for the VM circuit onto this.

Plugged in the AC adapter to try it out ... nuthin' :grr: WTF!!

Countersink isn't large enough to seat the adapter plug. Oh well, grab my 18650s & put them in.

VM lights up, ok something's working ... wait! VM is not supposed to light up until I hit the tact switch! J H C!!! Damn tact switches, why do they put FOUR contacts on them anyway!!! Epoxy isn't completely dry, dig out the tact switch, desolder, resolder, re-epoxy.

Ok, that's working now.

Pop out the AC jack and plug the AC adapter directly in; nuthin' again. DMM ... why the hell did they put three contacts on the power jacks!!!

Tomorrow's Another Day! :lol:

Pictures of the finished box when I get the AC jacks figured out. Then onto finishing up the wand.

Just another normal modding day in my world :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Now to see if I can make a half decent looking wand.

Then I need to make a DC only AC/DC :D. The only time I go AC mode is at work and when not at or working near my desk, I throw the AC/DC in my pocket and go. It's getting a little beat up, so a batt only should be good. Don't walk around with my Saber Touch VV in my pocket :shock:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread